multiple pims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple pims?

can i use multiple pims with this plugin. I have found that I have better connections in different parts of the house to different switches?

Originally posted by guy999 View Post
    can i use multiple pims with this plugin. I have found that I have better connections in different parts of the house to different switches?

I think it only works with one PIM. You should only need one. Sounds like you need a phase coupler/repeater. I run UPB for EVERY light in my 4K sf house, and have no issues, but I did need to install one of these for each breaker box (I have 3) to bridge the phases.

Here's some links that may help:

Wire in: http://www.simply-automated.com/prod...se_coupler.php

Plug in for dryer: http://www.simply-automated.com/prod...se_coupler.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Derek View Post
      I think it only works with one PIM. You should only need one. Sounds like you need a phase coupler/repeater. I run UPB for EVERY light in my 4K sf house, and have no issues, but I did need to install one of these for each breaker box (I have 3) to bridge the phases.

Here's some links that may help:

Wire in: http://www.simply-automated.com/prod...se_coupler.php

Plug in for dryer: http://www.simply-automated.com/prod...se_coupler.php

so i have an 8000 square foot house, and i have a repeater and a phase coupler. currently i have two panels and one sub panel, but still I have problems hitting some of the switches. I have 80 of them, and still I have some that aren't done yet.

I find that the pulseworx switches work a bit better but at this point I can buy 3 homeseer switches for one pulseworx switch.

Comment

so i have an 8000 square foot house, and i have a repeater and a phase coupler. currently i have two panels and one sub panel, but still I have problems hitting some of the switches. I have 80 of them, and still I have some that aren't done yet.

I find that the pulseworx switches work a bit better but at this point I can buy 3 homeseer switches for one pulseworx switch.

Is there a rhyme or reason to the switches you can't control? For example, are they all in one of the three breaker boxes? All on one side of a breaker box?

From experience I have 400 amp service coming in to two panels and a sub from one. I had to put a phase coupler/repeater in both main panels.

If you need two pims, perhaps try http://www.pcslighting.com/pulseworx...erfaces/pim-ip as the secondary, since the upbspud plugin only serves one pim, this sounds like it would work for you once added to your upstart config.

Hope that helps!

Comment

I'm confused. I wasn't aware that HS sold UPB switches. Is this meant only as a price comparison? (I would definitely not be surprised if the UPB plug-in was not communicating reliably with HS switches. )

+1 on installing a PCS coupler/repeater in each main panel as the next thing to try.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            I'm confused. I wasn't aware that HS sold UPB switches. Is this meant only as a price comparison? (I would definitely not be surprised if the UPB plug-in was not communicating reliably with HS switches. )

+1 on installing a PCS coupler/repeater in each main panel as the next thing to try.

is it possible to couplet and prevent transmission of the signal like put one on each panel and the subpanel and on the dryer as well.

Comment

The current version of the plugin does not handle multiple PIM, but I could make an easy change so that you can create multiple instances of the plugin. Each instance would be totally independent from the others, each would use its own PIM, and have its own network with its own devices. So, you would have to create multiple networks in Upstart and for each one export an .upe file.

Comment

awesome spud, well i'm first going to try and do that other phase coupling thing but if that fails. I will ask.. thank you so much....

Comment

is it possible to couplet and prevent transmission of the signal like put one on each panel and the subpanel and on the dryer as well.
                  I have no experience with more than one, but my recommendation would be to proceed with care. With two main panels, it seems possible that the circuits on each are isolated from those on the other. I assume you do get some communication between them, but the signal strength is likely weak. Putting a coupler/repeater on each main panel has the potential to boost the signal back to acceptable levels on all circuits. My main concern would be that they could create a feedback loop if you overdo it. If it works, though, it will be a lot easier to manage than two independent instances of the plug-in.
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

One other thought: It might be instructive to pose this problem to PCS and/or SA to see what they recommend. It's hard to imagine that the problem has not been encountered before.

Comment

One other thought: It might be instructive to pose this problem to PCS and/or SA to see what they recommend. It's hard to imagine that the problem has not been encountered before.

i'll give SA a call they have been pretty helpful in the past. I don't actually have much trouble communicating to the PCS switches, just the SA switches, but the vast majority of switches that i have are SA

Comment

i'll give SA a call they have been pretty helpful in the past. I don't actually have much trouble communicating to the PCS switches, just the SA switches, but the vast majority of switches that i have are SA
                        Interesting observation. Have you ever tried replacing a troublesome SA switch with a PCS switch?

Comment

Interesting observation. Have you ever tried replacing a troublesome SA switch with a PCS switch?
                          i have done it once or twice and the PCS switches work better or they work in places where SA doesn't.

Comment

Multiple instances of plugin

The ability to run multiple instances of the plugin would be very useful.

Comment

in version 3.0.0.36 available here, you can now run multiple instances of the plug-in. Go to to the PLUG-INS > Manage page and click the '+' green button on UPBSpud line to create a new instance, then you will get access to a new config page for this instance.

Comment

Working...
                              X