X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Pete.
    Michael

Comment

Found something being developed which is smaller, lighter and cheaper.

[ATTACH]62730[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62731[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62732[/ATTACH]

Note that this is smaller than a nITX based board.

Not as fast as I want it to be and not sure about PFSense running on it.

This is being developed as a single purpose NAS (cloud) and router solution.

Testing now and PFSense is running on this device (it is an under $100 4 port router solution)

[ATTACH]62789[/ATTACH]

My current 42" Leviton media can currently utilizes a 24 port small footprint managed Gb switch and an 8 port POE (not managed high power) switch, copper, 2 voip, 1 cellular, ISP modem (4 phone lines plus 2 ISP lines), distributed power supply (12 and 5vdc) and patch panel (small footprint 24 plus now).

Note that this box is base for POE remote wireless stuff (WAP, ZWave, Zigbee) and wired (serial) X10 and UPB. Cellular modem is voice and data right now.

Adding this device and a Linux Arm based Homeseer server (credit card sized)

[ATTACH]62733[/ATTACH]

would be an all in one solution (all in one can). Note that 42" is still not tiny.
      Last edited by Pete; August 16, 2017, 01:37 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I followed suit with cheeryfool and ordered the Qotom i5, not cheap but this box rocks. I am amazed at the power of pfSense to configure a really secure firewall. I just thought that I did not need subnets. I setup my Weather Server on a separate subnet and blocked that subnet from being able to access any of the other subnets. This isolates my only open port (81) to an island on its own. I also set up a Guest network for the grand kids that has internet access on a schedule but prevents them from getting to my main LAN. My primary LAN is limited to the defined MAC address and will not allow any UNKNOWN devices to attach. With GeoIP I can block all outside access to my Weather Server to specific countries and also block crawlers, BOTS, and spammers. This project was well worth the effort. After a few attempts with under powered/limited memory devices, I recommend that you do not "Half Step". Get at least a quad core processor and a minimum of 4Gb memory with 30Gb SSD.

Bob
        Last edited by Bob_Linux_User; August 13, 2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Good news Bob!!!

Yes I have been using PFSense for a few years now...currently on 3rd hardware implementation of PFSense.

Current implementation is using an mITX BCM motherboard with 6 Intel Gb NICs on it.

2 NICs are WAN
          4 NICs are LAN (tinker toys).

Still working on the PFSense DIY above. I have reset my base configuration now a few times to review what I am doing with the PFSense firewall.

Initially all I cared about was good time sync using a GPS modded with PPS connection for that perfect time thing. (I am in to time).

@Bob...thinking your mention of WeeWx has me switching over from Cumulus...this now using a MeteoStick, Davis weather station, 1-wire stuff, lightning sensor, et al. I can do much more with many instruments with WeeWx; plus NOAA weather maps direct downloads from satellite via radio...

The above mentioned micro 4 port firewall device looks to be utilizing 1 watt of power which I like. It is a first of it's kind.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Interested

This just popped up in my feed. If its not too late, I would like to join the party.

Comment

Name added jello4.

Baby steps here as there is no rush.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Please put me down as interested as well!

Comment

Please also list me as interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank-you Teken and bjm2020.

Some news today (well yesterday's (08162017)back to the future) from the serve the home website.

It[ATTACH]62800[/ATTACH]

Intel Atom C3000 Series Launch SKUs and Differentiation

[ATTACH]62801[/ATTACH]
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

SOC
                      4 GbE ports via PCI-e x1
                      Expansive I/O with two USB 3.0,one mSATA socket and one console port
                      Built with Intel Embedded IA components with warranty of longevity
                      8 Gb Ram
                      8 Gb eMMC

[ATTACH]62853[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH]62854[/ATTACH]

EssentialsPerformance
                      # of Cores 4
                      # of Threads 4
                      # Processor Base Frequency 1.10 GHz
                      # Burst Frequency 2.20 GHz
                      # Cache 2 MB L2
                      # TDP 6 W
                      # Scenario Design Power (SDP) 4 W

Status Launched

Still going baby steps......

I did not see any interest on Cocoontech such that I have removed said post from there.
                      Last edited by Pete; August 18, 2017, 11:23 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hello Pete,

I noticed this hardware doesn't state it supports Intels AES-NI encryption?!? What is the going price of this hardware?

Comment

It does support AES-NI encryption. It is on the low end and priced a bit too high right now at under $200 (just under) which is still too high for me.

The current warranty on it is 2 years. I dunno about this and it could be related to the eMMC. It does wear down over time.

Baby steps here...and really so what that Intel is making a deal out stating that AES-NI is included and making it sound brand new.

Many folks are having a hard time trying to figure out why Intel just didn't include AES-NI in the first place on some CPUs in the last few years where as AMD / ARM has included AES-NI all along.

Personally I am only one person here and tend to make mountains out of mole hills sometimes.

It's been presented to me like a restaurant menu and picking food a la carte. (from design pieces put together to make a nice meal of sorts )

Have a read over here:

Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3450-2M-Cache-up-to-2_2-GHz

Security & Reliability

Intel makes it sound new where as it is only new for this SOC chip set. Everybody else has done it now for over 3 years.*

Most at home SOHO routers have not been typically utilized for multiple VPN tunnels.

Concurrently now you have entities (countries) trying to figure out how to block VPN tunnels cuz they cannot see inside of them. Tit for tat stuff.
                          Last edited by Pete; August 19, 2017, 02:54 PM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

At the $200.XX price point what RAM & SSD does that offer?

Comment

Only 8 eMMC of soldered on memory, no RAM or SSD which is why I am making an issue out of it.

It is like when you purchase anything these days where you are shown the deluxe everything (like I did above) included package with prices starting at this and then when you ask everything is optional. The established NUC / nanoITX motherboard format has been around a long time. Same with AES-NI. It is not new such that many MFG have retooled their facilities a long time ago knowing this was coming but acting like it is new.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have to agree it's frustrating to read *Sales Ads* for a product with all the bells and whistles. Only to find the model you're looking at is the bare bones version with nothing!! [emoji35]

I've been in contact with a few so called direct Chinese manufacturers of various nano ITX. Some have been pretty accommodating in RAM, SSD, WiFi, case size etc. While keeping a decent price point with shipping.

Others have been less than stellar to deal with in this regard and try to make up the upfront cost by sticking it to you via inflated shipping costs!!!

If there isn't any movement on this group buy I may consider making my own for a similar 4 port box. Based on initial contact with three direct vendors the minimum group buy is 10 units.

For me that seems like a pretty decent price break. It should be noted none of the vendors are capable of meeting a $100.00 USD price point in any meaningful configuration.

My basic requirement is Quad Core, 4 Intel ports, 8 GB RAM, 32 GB eMCC, 4 USB.

The specific version I choose had all of the above but included a 128 GB eMCC, with a larger case to support a extra SSD, WiFi, BLE.

All told with direct shipping to Canada was $334.40 CDN. This could have been a lot cheaper if I removed the WiFi, BLE, and used a 32 GB eMCC, and thinner case requirement.

Comment

Working...
                                X