Checking if Homeseer is running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking if Homeseer is running

Tonight my power supply crapped out. First time I have had a power supply issue. I heard some crackling on the house speakers and then nothing. I yanked the power supply and bench tested it and the voltage was lower than it should be. Fortunately, I have another power supply and was able to swap it out while I determine what to do with the bootie one.

In the meantime, I got to thinking - I use a plugin to check the status of other PC's on my network and can drive events to notify me if a PC goes offline. What do you use to test to see if the Homeseer box is online? Maybe a small app to run on another PC to email you if a ping to the HS box fails?

Looking for everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

my PC that runs HomeSeer and several other applications and a RAID array for files... is in the garage. It has run for 5 years or so. Has a top quality power supply. It's an ASUS motherboard and AMD CPU. The predecessor was similar, and it too ran for many years.

It does reboot about every 3-6 weeks, on my action, because of memory leaks in the driver for the USB to X10. And another leak somewhere I've not tracked down - perhaps one of the DLLs or the windows scripting engine.

I know that PC is not right within 3 or so hours, daytime; my wife complains that she' can't see her favorite webcams. I have the PC feed a browser's display to a spare input of the TV in the LR via a long composite video coax. We enjoy seeing places we've visit around the US and Europe, and some of the national park cams.

Comment

First indicator all is not well with HS is when my touchscreens have the yellow bar at the bottom saying they cannot connect to the HS server, it is rarely anything other than HS/the PC has quit.

It is a good idea to monitor it though, might install a little app on one of my HSTouch screens that could ping the HS server to see if it was still online. If it has no success perhaps it could email me.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        It is a good idea to monitor it though, might install a little app on one of my HSTouch screens that could ping the HS server to see if it was still online. If it has no success perhaps it could email me.
        That's what I was thinking. There must be an app with a small footprint that can silently run on a separate PC and send me something if HS box goes down.

Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by GadgetBoySI View Post
          ...What do you use to test to see if the Homeseer box is online? Maybe a small app to run on another PC to email you if a ping to the HS box fails?...
          I use Pingdom to ping the router and the HS HTroller every minute.
          All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
            Here's an example of a little wintel powershell script you can run:
            Pete:

Is this to be run as a batch file on another PC on the network?

Comment

I don't suppose you have an ELK security system too, do you? Mine sends me an email if HS is down for more than xx minutes.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=139878

Comment

I have something called an iBoot at one of the houses. It can ping the machine, and if it doesn't get a response will cycle power on the server. I believe it can email as well.
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I've used these in my job.. well done; good support. About $100.
                  http://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay...FUQipQodOW8AqA

the "pulse" mode could do a more graceful reboot/reset versus just remotely killing the power to the server (which risks corrupting the file system).
                  Last edited by Stevech; December 29, 2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                    I don't suppose you have an ELK security system too, do you? Mine sends me an email if HS is down for more than xx minutes.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=139878

I don't...

Comment

Easiest thing to do is instigate the IE browser and attempt to see if the HS web server is functioning. If you get data back, then it is working...

Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
                      IE.visible = 0
                      IE.navigate "http://homeseer/elog"
                      do while IE.Busy
                      loop
                      HTTPGet = IE.document.documentelement.outerhtml
                      ' wscript.sleep 2000
                      IE.quit
                      Set IE = Nothing
                      WScript.Echo HTTPGet 'good for debugging. shows what you got back.
                      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

For goofy little specialty programs I always go to download.com.

Try this:

http://download.cnet.com/WWWQuickChe...ml?tag=mncol;5

You can set the interval at which you'd like WWWQuickCheck to check the status of each Website--at that time, a specific phrase or regular expression will be validated against the response from the configured URI. If a match is not successful, an e-mail is sent to the e-mail address(es) for that URI (each URI can have one or more e-mail addresses attached to it). WWWQuickCheck is a free, easy to install, easy to configure tool. Set it up once and cross your fingers that you don't get any failure e-mails.

~Bill

Comment

I have just set up a way to be notified if HomeSeer is not running or not accessible. Thought I would share in case it is helpful for others.

My HS3 is running on a dedicated Windows 10 device. It is running as a service, but sometimes if the computer restarts (perhaps there was a Windows software update or something else happened like a power outage) HS3 doesn't always start. I have not been able to reliably recreate the issue to figure out why HS3 does not start. Other times, I've had an issue with a network switch. Issues happen on rare occasions, so I have been wanting to find a way to get a proactive notification that HS3 is not running or not running as intended.

I have come across two online services that are free uptimerobot.com and hetrixtools.com.

My HS3 is accessible through a domain that I own with a port specified (eg., mydomain.com:10200).

uptimerobot allows you to set up a port monitor as well as an http monitor and hetrixtools.com allows you to set up a ping/service monitor. They are both free. Apparently, you have to login to hetrixtools.com at least every 30 days to keep the free account active so I may end up just using uptimerobot. The only advantage to hetrixtools.com is that it checks every minute and uptimerobot checks every 5 minutes. They both have flexible notification options including pushover which I am a big fan of. I'm going to keep using both for the next little while to see if there are any differences in performance. Hopefully this solves my notification problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X