Multiple temp sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple temp sensors

It looks like that the RCS Serial Thermostats supports more API than the basic Thermostat API. What I'm trying to do is get the descriptive string associated with each of the temperature sensors. Or barring that being able to tell which temperature is for inside and which is for outside.

Is there a way to do this?

Dan

you can access the RCS outside temp sensor in scripting

temp1=hs.plugin("RCS Serial Thermostats").getoutsidetemp(1,1)

is how I get the outside temp sensor of zone 1 on thermostat 1. if you are not using a zone controller you may not need the secondary ",1"...

you can then set that to a homeseer virtual device..

there is no way to access the individual temp sensors associated with wall display units.. for istance i have 2 sensors on each of my WDU and average them but RCS does not allow the API to grab each sensor's value, only the average value...

-Christopher
    PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Originally posted by danhi View Post
      It looks like that the RCS Serial Thermostats supports more API than the basic Thermostat API. What I'm trying to do is get the descriptive string associated with each of the temperature sensors. Or barring that being able to tell which temperature is for inside and which is for outside.

Is there a way to do this?

Dan
      One of the issues I saw in HSTouch was that the default thermostat screen using the basic API didn't allow for changing my heat pump to emergency mode using Next Operating Mode. Had to add another button for that.

cadillackid- Do you know if there is any more RCS api documentation floating around?

Comment

im not sure what is where.. I had added a bunch of stuff to the old RCS plugin. some of it made it to the new one, some of it didnt.. a lot of stuff that isnt in the tstat API that is in the plugin is related to zone controllers.. its interesting because my thermostat itself doesnt even have an Aux setting on it... my guess is that never made it into the API.. although with HSTouch i dont use the next operating mode feature.. I found that it sends each press of that mode button to the thermostat which will actually change the mode of the system and alter the setpoints for the proper spread.. . so i use devices and scripts to send all of my parameters to the tstat at once
        -Christopher
        PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

I know how to get the various temperatures, but not how to tell which one is which. I assume there's a description string stored somewhere, but I don't know how to access it. Is the source for this plugin open source like the one for the RCS X10 plugin? If I could get hold of the source I could figure it out for myself.

Dan

Comment

RCS themselves doesnt allow for getting multiple room temp sensors...

if I do an RCS.gettemp(1,1) that grabs the room temp for zone controller 1 zone 1
            if I do an rcs.getheatset(1,1) that gives me the heat setpoint for zone controller 1 zone 1
            if I do an rcs.getoutsidetemp(1,1) htat gives me the outdoor temp sensor for the controller

if I do an rcs.gettemp(2,1) that gives me the room temp for zone controller 1 zone 2

etc

but if i have 2 indoor temp sensors installed on a single WDU I cant read each sensor.. that is a limitation of RCS not of any plugin.. your WDU can user either sensor or average depending on its local setting.. if the sensors are average "gettemp" gets that room temp average not one sensor or the other...

RCS claims that averaging, etc is handled in the WDU itself and not in the main controller therefore why each sensor value is not exposed..
            -Christopher

Comment

Working...
            X