Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does HS3 provide HS2 z-Tool type functionality natively for z-wave networks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does HS3 provide HS2 z-Tool type functionality natively for z-wave networks?

This is interesting. I have the same WD z-stick and usually just add/remove nodes through the Manage Z-wave buttons in HS2.

Now I wonder
    - Have I been doing it wrong?
    - Is the WD stick fully compatible with HS3
    - Is there any difference in functionality of it between HS2 & HS3

I just bought the Pro upgrade to get HST now & HS3 running down the road (I use tons of RFXCOM though), but can't jump in at all without the Z-stick working properly.

Comment

I can't remember if the Wayne Dalton is capable of this but all the newer controllers can be brought to the hardware and included. Like like switches, wall plugs, etc. Many of the thermostats and locks need to be brought to the HomeSeer computer while the controller is still connected to the PC and the inclusion done there. These are the newer controllers.
      http://store.homeseer.com/store/Home...ix-W17C66.aspx
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi Dhayner - Thank you for the reminder and you are absolutely correct. I have used both the native HS2 functionality to add new z-wave devices with my WD z-stick and I have leveraged the ztool utility. If I had problems with the HS2 native interface, I would leverage the ztools utility and that usually addressed any add or delete issues I had with the native HS2 z-wave function.

In regards to the problem I am having with HS3 and adding new z-wave devices with my WD z-stick - I now have a bit more information.

After installing version 3.0.0.10 - and trying the z-wave add node process again, I am now noticing an explicit error message displayed at the top of the page:

Error - Your HomeSeer interface must be the primary controller to use this function.

When I view the Controller Node Information under the "Current zWave Networks" the Mode of the controller is secondary (CONTROLLER_SECONDAY). I think this is the source to my problem of not being able to add new z-wave devices with my WD z-stick.

So my questions are:

What is the process to promote a z-wave controller registered as a secondary device to a primary device under HS3 (beta version 3.0.0.10)?

Also - what caused my WD z-stick to register as secondary z-wave controller vs. primary z-wave controller (HS3 beta version 3.0.0.10) ?

Controller Node Information Detail:
        INIT Staus: OK
        Mode: CONTROLLER_SECONDARY
        Lib Version: Z-Wave 2.48
        Lib Type: ZW_LIB_INSTALLER
        API Version: 4
        Z-Wave IC: ZW0201
        Tansmit Queue: 0
        Replication Status: REPLICATION_NOT_STARTED

Appreciate the help!

Comment

I just wanted to close this thread out. I did more research on secondary z-wave controllers and came to the conclusion that I must have (at some point in the recent past) accidentally performed a "transfer primary" function. The only z-wave controller that I have ever used on my z-wave network is the Wayne Dalton z-stick and this was the source of my confusion. I could not figure out how a primary controller could turn into a secondary controller if there has never been a second physical z-wave controller on the network. The only conclusion I could come up with is that Homeseer will demote the primary z-wave controller to a secondary controller if the "transfer primary" function is evoked (whether or not a second z-wave controller actually exists on the network). Since I was locked out of adding any new additional z-wave nodes to my network (and could not figure out how to promote a secondary z-wave controller to a primary z-wave controller) - I simply started from scratch. I selected the "erase interface" option and my Wayne Dalton z-stick immediately appeared as the primary z-wave controller. I had to re-add all my z-wave devices but everything is now functioning as it should. I also have no immediate need for the z-tool product (since Homeseer handles many of the same functions of z-tools natively in HS2 and HS3).
          Last edited by mstukel; July 4, 2013, 07:14 AM.

Comment

This is really good news, considering that someone else had problems with this stick working properly in another thread (that you just responded to today also). I'm hopeful now that I won't have issues using this stick in HS3...

Comment

Working...
            X