No announcement yet.

Alexa not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tied the separate devices to each group?

The echo device in the family room needs to be tied to the family room group only, and the echo device in the living room needs to be tied to the living room group only.
    Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
      Have you tied the separate devices to each group?

The echo device in the family room needs to be tied to the family room group only, and the echo device in the living room needs to be tied to the living room group only.
      An echo can only be part of a single group. So, yes my echo devices are each in their own respective group.

I saw previously there was a posting about Smart Groups not working correctly and I'm thinking there is still a bug/problem with smart groups. I updated the skill to the "Homeseer SmartHome" skill I also have "Homeseer Home Automation Skill" enabled as well. The older skill was removed (had to setup all my groups again). I updated Homeseer to 3.0.0.425 to work with the SmartHome skill. I'm just thinking that there's something not quite right with the skill. It doesn't seem to be parsing the intents correctly.

Comment

Just as a reference. I also attempted to use the Smarthome skill and had the same problems. I had several events with voice commands which were discovered by the Alexa app as being Scenes. Every time I tried to use the commands I got the response "a few things share that name. Which one did you want?". I finally gave up and went back to the old skill.

Bob

Comment

The smart home skill doesn't use intents like the custom skill does.

To be honest, I have no idea what's under the hood of their app..., it just sends me the device id and command for the device, so when it doesn't work as expected, I don't have many options to help with.
          Wade

Comment

As far as speaking to the engineer, I'm not recalling that conversation, as I am the engineer. (which means I actually can/will look at your problem in depth).
            I spoke only to Tech Support and then emailed them my thanks for getting me going, again. They responded that my email had been forwarded to an engineer. So, if Tech Support didn't follow up with a conversation, there would be none to remember.

I'm suspecting one of the devices in your discovery list has something about it that is causing the discovery failure, so I want to grab your database so I can run the devices myself to see which it might be.

Then I can correct the issue, so you can use the new skill if you so choose.
            Shall I send you a file? Which one(s)?

(the new one has locks and events in it, so it's a little more robust)
            Yeah, I was kinda hoping to add the locks and drop the "Alexa tell..." stuff.
            HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
            Home Assistant 2024.3
            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
            Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
            Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
            WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
            AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
              I spoke only to Tech Support and then emailed them my thanks for getting me going, again. They responded that my email had been forwarded to an engineer. So, if Tech Support didn't follow up with a conversation, there would be none to remember.

Shall I send you a file? Which one(s)?

Yeah, I was kinda hoping to add the locks and drop the "Alexa tell..." stuff.
              The file you want to send me is the .hsd file you're currently using for HomeSeer. (the default file name is HomeSeerData.hsd)

It will be located in the data folder of your HomeSeer application folder.

You can also use the 'Backup Config' button in settings to have HomeSeer save it to your PC..., then you can send that to me as an attachment in a private message.
              Wade

Comment

The only thing these devices have in common is they are all Hue bulbs using JowiHue plugin. I went and looked at their device and they don't have "dimmable" selected and neither did they have "light" so I selected light and did a discover in alexa.

No change.

However this time when it asked "which one do you want" I simply said Family Room and it turned EVERYTHING on...

Comment

The file you want to send me is the .hsd file you're currently using for HomeSeer. (the default file name is HomeSeerData.hsd)
                  Either I've lost my mind (entirely likely), or the ability to add an "attachment" is not showing up in either email or PM!
                  HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                  Home Assistant 2024.3
                  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                  Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                  Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                  WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                    Either I've lost my mind (entirely likely), or the ability to add an "attachment" is not showing up in either email or PM!
                    I had the same issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

It looks like Amazon may have made some 'adjustments' to their code that can affect what kind of naming you can have.

I've found that if you have a device named 'front lamp', and a device named 'front porch lamp', it can't recognize the 'front lamp' device as a unique name.

(it say there's more than one device with that name)

If you rename the second to just 'porch light', then it works correctly.

Hopefully, Amazon will realize what they've done and correct this at some point.

In the meantime, the echo request will fail before it can be processed if you use those kind of naming conventions.
                      Wade

Comment

It looks like Amazon may have made some 'adjustments' to their code that can affect what kind of naming you can have.

I've found that if you have a device named 'front lamp', and a device named 'front porch lamp', it can't recognize the 'front lamp' device as a unique name.

(it say there's more than one device with that name)

If you rename the second to just 'porch light', then it works correctly.

Hopefully, Amazon will realize what they've done and correct this at some point.

In the meantime, the echo request will fail before it can be processed if you use those kind of naming conventions.
                        It's always good when they "fix" or "improve" things and it breaks things for everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                        X