Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy status grapich from one device to another

Hi,

I have a few different types of temperature measurement devices.
    Is there a way to copy the status graphics from one of them to the others?

Check out this post for details on the graphics:

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...42&postcount=7

You might want to read the whole thread while there, everything you ever wanted to know about virtual devices. Randy also did lots of great write ups on other topics in the Event Clinic board.

Comment

Thank you for that. Randy really is the event king!

But what i was really looking for was a way to copy device status graphics and ranges from one of my temperature sensor to another so I wouldn't have to duplicate it manually.

The Fibaro Motion Sensors, temperature device have what I want but not the devices from my Netatmo. So I would like an easy way to get them identical.

Comment

I'm not aware of an easy button for that. The devices are created and owned by a plugin and messing with them may cause problems for the plugin. Changing the graphics probably would not matter, but changing the ranges might.

Comment

Originally posted by babaloui View Post
          Hi,

I have a few different types of temperature measurement devices.
          Is there a way to copy the status graphics from one of them to the others?
          I just imported over 30 devices from another controller and Homeseer DIDNT SET ANY of the devices so I must edit each one for text an gfx.

Not only is this a missing feature but the way we set text and images is completely from 1995 (as it seems is most of Homeseer code)
          ... it takes 3 minutes per device due to crappy text/folder tree navigation (tons of scrolling/clicking to get anywhere), no way to set favorites folder to start with, no drag/drop, no way to change the view of the tree (can see thunbnails), etc. SERIOUS LACK of effort or caring by Rich and team there.

We need to be able to copy from one device to another.

Comment

+1

I have exactly the requirement of the OP - a new temperature virtual device and it would be really helpful to be able to copy the status graphics from another temperature device.

A

Comment

Hi, I am looking for the same solution as asked here.
              Did any one solve this?

someone who has a solution which works for copying Status Graphic for devices and txt from one device to an other?

would be a great feature creating multiple iot devices dough. As mentioned by others, creating them manual each time is taking a lot of time.

W.

Comment

If you are dealing with virtual devices, then its straightforward to copy an existing device to create a new one that is identical except for the name and the Reference ID.

A copy of a device created by a plug-in, on the other hand, will typically not be recognized by the plug-in, so presents a bigger problem.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  If you are dealing with virtual devices, then its straightforward to copy an existing device to create a new one that is identical except for the name and the Reference ID.

A copy of a device created by a plug-in, on the other hand, will typically not be recognized by the plug-in, so presents a bigger problem.
                  The issue is that Homeseer does not give us a way to easily make real devices consistent with status text or images. Which forces you to manually, and in an inefficient and time consuming way, edit each one.

Pretty much all of Homeseer is this way... Inconcistant and tedious. Once it's working, yes, it works. But getting it there and keeping it updated as you add or change things is far more painful than it should be

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                    The issue is that Homeseer does not give us a way to easily make real devices consistent with status text or images. Which forces you to manually, and in an inefficient and time consuming way, edit each one.
                    Pretty much all of Homeseer is this way... Inconcistant and tedious. Once it's working, yes, it works. But getting it there and keeping it updated as you add or change things is far more painful than it should be
                    I agree. Unfortunately, the current marketplace offers multiple options with great UIs that don't work on the one hand, and HS, with a dated UI, but with capabilities and operational stability that no other system can match on the other. I find that choice to be a very easy one.

I think it's pretty clear that HS is focusing its efforts on improving and stabilizing the technical core of version 3 and postponing UI enhancements as a result. It's probably at least as frustrating for Rich as it is for us, but I do agree with the priority choice.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                      I agree. Unfortunately, the current marketplace offers multiple options with great UIs that don't work on the one hand, and HS, with a dated UI, but with capabilities and operational stability that no other system can match on the other. I find that choice to be a very easy one.

I think it's pretty clear that HS is focusing its efforts on improving and stabilizing the technical core of version 3 and postponing UI enhancements as a result. It's probably at least as frustrating for Rich as it is for us, but I do agree with the priority choice.
                      I respect your contributions to the community and your opinion - while your loyalty is admirable, you don't need to defend the state where Homeseer is. The reality is that its 17 year old software that looks and feels like it is from 17 years ago and was stitched together taking code from a few different coders not following the same design guidelines/spec or same SDK (looks/acts mainly like Windows 3.1 apps)

I'm not saying this to be inflammatory... I'm just stating the facts of how it looks and acts. Its far from cohesive or consistent, with navigation or administration.

The 'workings' (lack of good navigation, drag-n-drop, copy, duplicate, etc) of Status Graphics is simply one example of this.

BTW - I do like Homeseer, overall. I'm just sad that its no what it should be after 17 years. Because of this (and lack of marketing) the Homeseer market share (% basis) will shrink considerably over the next 2 to 4 years until it is almost non-existent unless drastic measures are taken in several areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                        . . .while your loyalty is admirable, you don't need to defend the state where Homeseer is.
                        It isn't my intention to "defend" HS. I'm just trying to see the reality of the market pressure. As enthusiastic as we are about HA, the market is comparatively tiny. That means that, unlike Apple, for example, with millions of customers, an HA company is lucky to have thousands of customers. Income is limited and the scope of work has to be tightly controlled. Given that they have to make hard choices, I appreciate that HST has chosen to concentrate of a reliable technical core that works well. If there were an alternative that duplicated HS3 capability and also had a better UI, I'm sure many of us would jump for it. The fact that there isn't such an alternative is what makes me 'loyal'.

Comment

I have yet to see another application that offers everything that HS3 offers. They may be pretty but lack functionality. Some of them are painfully slow. I will take HS3 function over any drag and drop UI. The exception that comes to mind is AHP.

AHP was awesome and what should have been the standard bearer today. The new Wifi module has breathed some life into it. It's too bad they don't have the source code to continue developing AHP. It's amazing how large the X10 user base is and how many users on this forum still use X10 religiously.

Sure, Apple, Samsung, etc. can tout HA but nothing at the level that's capable with HS3. I'll take the 17yr old look any day because it is keeping up with the latest advancements in HA technology. Thanks to all the plug-in developers that keep expanding the capabilities of HS3.

I do agree that HS3 needs to be prettier and easier for the casual user. It's awesome for the nerds, almost nerds and wannabe nerds but the non-tech person is lost too easily. Those are the ones that HS3 will lose to Samsung and Apple and of course that's the majority of people. But I don't believe HS3 will die a slow death.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                            I have yet to see another application that offers everything that HS3 offers. They may be pretty but lack functionality. Some of them are painfully slow. I will take HS3 function over any drag and drop UI. The exception that comes to mind is AHP.

AHP was awesome and what should have been the standard bearer today. The new Wifi module has breathed some life into it. It's too bad they don't have the source code to continue developing AHP. It's amazing how large the X10 user base is and how many users on this forum still use X10 religiously.

Sure, Apple, Samsung, etc. can tout HA but nothing at the level that's capable with HS3. I'll take the 17yr old look any day because it is keeping up with the latest advancements in HA technology. Thanks to all the plug-in developers that keep expanding the capabilities of HS3.

I do agree that HS3 needs to be prettier and easier for the casual user. It's awesome for the nerds, almost nerds and wannabe nerds but the non-tech person is lost too easily. Those are the ones that HS3 will lose to Samsung and Apple and of course that's the majority of people. But I don't believe HS3 will die a slow death.
                            We are WAAAYYY off topic and need to get back on topic. But I will say that my comments have nothing to do with a 'pretty' UI. It is all about usability and function. I've been doing this 20 years and used nearly all apps that are and have ever been. X10 is long dead and totally irrelevant to current HA standards or apps. HS had the ability to own the market but that time passed about 3-4 years ago. And unless a behemoth buys them and does a major update and a ton of marketing, HS will be the X10 of apps... still used by a few but quickly become extinct

Comment

Still off topic, but can't resist.

Wider market is only just getting going, not shrinking.

My tuppence:

Raise cash from loyal base through crowd equity
                              Invest in UI / usability improvements
                              Continue to invest in developing hardware / appliances
                              Work hard to expose data HS collects from devices / sensors
                              Reposition as home IOT hub - HS is more than automation

(And yes, I came to this thread just trying to copy status graphics!)

Comment

Working...
                              X