X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZoRaC View Post
    That worked great, thanks!

I have two other (small?) request:
    1. Could the "Heating Mode Names" be individually set per thermostat? In the bathroom it fits with "day/night/frost" (23C/18C,7C), but in my office I use it as "day/night/workmode" (15C/7C/22C) - so I change to "workmode" when I'm using the office. Setting it to "frost-mode" seems a bit "wrong"... :P
    You can achieve what you want, I think, with the pi as it stands. The global mode names that you set up are used when creating or rebuilding the devices. If you change the global names it only affects new VStats you create unless you click on the 'Rebuild VStat' button for an existing VStat. So if you were to change your global 'Frost' name to 'Workmode' and then click 'Rebuild VStat' for your office VStat it will only change the mode names in that VStat. Rebuilding a VStat replaces all the status pairs and resets the ranges. It also renames the SetPoint devices but it tries to be clever and not upset device names that you may have edited manually

The pi does use the global SetPoint names in some other places mostly in the descriptions on the config page but that's not really an issue. However, it also uses them when displaying the 'Next Mode' device string display which shows the next scheduled change. So for example if you had configured a heating VStat with 'Low' as the Night/Low SetPoint and you then changed the global Night/Low SetPoint text to ''Minimum', the Next Mode device would show say 'Change to Minimum(Auto) at 15:45' even though the Night/Low mode name for that VStat was Low. That wouldn't affect the case you are describing because the Away/Frost name doesn't appear in a scheduled change.

2. Since heating is either on or off, it's easy to calculate the powerusage and even calculate energyconsumption on an hourly/daily/monthly basis. Any chance each termostat could have an input for the wattage of the heater and that the plugin could use the energymetering that is built into HS3?
    Nice idea but I think that would be taking things beyond where I want to go with the pi at the moment. For me, and possibly most users, it would not be of any use because all my control devices are switches that control zone valves or call for heat from the boiler. As such they are indirect and the power flowing through them is not related to the power consumption of the heating system either directly or indirectly. Even when calling for heat from the boiler the boiler isn't firing all the time as it only fires when necessary to maintain the temperature of the water in the radiators. So even the time the switch is on isn't directly related to the power consumption of the boiler. I think the scenario you are describing would only apply if you were controlling the power directly to an electric heater say.

I would suggest it would be better to set up the power monitoring on the device you are controlling using HS3s built in energy metering.

Steve

Comment

There's Graphing Utilities by Jon00, and Blade which can do what you want. I'm working on Temp graphing using Jon00's.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
        You can achieve what you want, I think, with the pi as it stands. The global mode names that you set up are used when creating or rebuilding the devices. If you change the global names it only affects new VStats you create unless you click on the 'Rebuild VStat' button for an existing VStat. So if you were to change your global 'Frost' name to 'Workmode' and then click 'Rebuild VStat' for your office VStat it will only change the mode names in that VStat. Rebuilding a VStat replaces all the status pairs and resets the ranges. It also renames the SetPoint devices but it tries to be clever and not upset device names that you may have edited manually

The pi does use the global SetPoint names in some other places mostly in the descriptions on the config page but that's not really an issue. However, it also uses them when displaying the 'Next Mode' device string display which shows the next scheduled change. So for example if you had configured a heating VStat with 'Low' as the Night/Low SetPoint and you then changed the global Night/Low SetPoint text to ''Minimum', the Next Mode device would show say 'Change to Minimum(Auto) at 15:45' even though the Night/Low mode name for that VStat was Low. That wouldn't affect the case you are describing because the Away/Frost name doesn't appear in a scheduled change.
        Thanks, that seems to work!

Nice idea but I think that would be taking things beyond where I want to go with the pi at the moment. For me, and possibly most users, it would not be of any use because all my control devices are switches that control zone valves or call for heat from the boiler. As such they are indirect and the power flowing through them is not related to the power consumption of the heating system either directly or indirectly. Even when calling for heat from the boiler the boiler isn't firing all the time as it only fires when necessary to maintain the temperature of the water in the radiators. So even the time the switch is on isn't directly related to the power consumption of the boiler. I think the scenario you are describing would only apply if you were controlling the power directly to an electric heater say.
        I only use it for electric heating, thus it is a direct link between heat=on and the electric power drawn. I guess I'll just manually create a script and timer that calculates the energyconsumption when the heating turns on/off. Only "problem" is that the "energy-API" of HS isn't easy to use from a script (at least I've heard). Anyway, I'll give it a try!

I would suggest it would be better to set up the power monitoring on the device you are controlling using HS3s built in energy metering.
        I've tried to save a few bucks, and bought devices that doesn't have energymetering built in... :-/

Comment

Possible bug?
          "Window open" doesn't seem to work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vstat1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1195440

Name:	vstat2.PNG
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1195441

Since the window is open, the heat should turn on at 14.5 degrees, but seems to turn on at 24.5 degrees anyway?

EDIT:
          An update, if I switch to "closed" and back to "open" again, it changes target to 14.5 degrees. The window has been open quite some time, not sure what caused the target to not change when the window opened... ideas?

EDIT 2:
          I restarted the server at 12:20, so the target temperature was set at 12:21. It then set the target based on the schedule, even when the window was already open:

Name:	vstat3.PNG
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1195442

So this could probably be fixed by checking the "windows"-device on startup?
          Last edited by ZoRaC; February 18, 2018, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks, that seems to work!

I only use it for electric heating, thus it is a direct link between heat=on and the electric power drawn. I guess I'll just manually create a script and timer that calculates the energyconsumption when the heating turns on/off. Only "problem" is that the "energy-API" of HS isn't easy to use from a script (at least I've heard). Anyway, I'll give it a try!

I've tried to save a few bucks, and bought devices that doesn't have energymetering built in... :-/
            If it was me I would replace those devices with energymetering devices and then reuse the old ones where you don't need metering. Any roundabout way of calculating the use is never going to be as accurate.

Steve

Comment

Possible bug?
              "Window open" doesn't seem to work?

[ATTACH]66827[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH]66828[/ATTACH]

Since the window is open, the heat should turn on at 14.5 degrees, but seems to turn on at 24.5 degrees anyway?

EDIT:
              An update, if I switch to "closed" and back to "open" again, it changes target to 14.5 degrees. The window has been open quite some time, not sure what caused the target to not change when the window opened... ideas?
              Not sure, I will need to experiment as it's not a feature I actually use in my production system.
              Was the plug-in or HS3 restarted between the time the window open was set at 10:23 and the snapshot at 12:21?
              Are there any SDJ-Health messages in the log between 10:23 and 12:21? Will depend on log level set but might show something.

Steve

Comment

If it was me I would replace those devices with energymetering devices and then reuse the old ones where you don't need metering. Any roundabout way of calculating the use is never going to be as accurate.
                Not sure, I will need to experiment as it's not a feature I actually use in my production system.
                Was the plug-in or HS3 restarted between the time the window open was set at 10:23 and the snapshot at 12:21?
                Are there any SDJ-Health messages in the log between 10:23 and 12:21? Will depend on log level set but might show something.
                You are way too connected! You replied at the time I did the second edit. Yes, the server was restarted (see my edit).

Comment

You are way too connected! You replied at the time I did the second edit. Yes, the server was restarted (see my edit).
                  Probably a bug then. That should give my enough to pin it down.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Probably a bug then. That should give my enough to pin it down.
                    Updated version 3.0.8.2 added to first post should cure the issue with the OpenWindow device not being honoured at restart. There were certain other instances as well, like at the end of a Boost period.

Steve

Comment

Config loosing Control Device

Hi

Whenever I have a power failure all the VSTATs loose the configured Control Devices, resulting on no heating when the power comes back up.
                      Is there a way of making the VSTATs remember the COntrol Devices?

The Internal Temperature Sensores are not lost.
                      I don't use External Temp sensors at the moment, so don't know about those.

I'm on a Linux system, if it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by BME View Post
                        Hi

Whenever I have a power failure all the VSTATs loose the configured Control Devices, resulting on no heating when the power comes back up.

Is there a way of making the VSTATs remember the COntrol Devices?

The Internal Temperature Sensores are not lost.

I don't use External Temp sensors at the moment, so don't know about those.

I'm on a Linux system, if it matters.

Comment

A controlled restart seems to have done it!

I pulled the power plug today, and after this the controllers are still configurated.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BME View Post
                            A controlled restart seems to have done it!

I pulled the power plug today, and after this the controllers are still configurated.

Thanks!
                            Fingers crossed you don't get the issue again. By the way are you running 3.0.8.2?

I did introduce a forced database save each time the PED is updated in the root device of a VStat in 3.0.8.2. However, I think HS3 only makes database backups each time it is gracefully shutdown. So, if you get a power failure and the database is corrupted HS3 loads the last good backup when it restarts. This means there is always the risk of some device information being lost after a power failure particularly after a long uptime.

If you suffer from power cuts I would recommend protecting your HS3 machine with a UPS. My house is in a fairly remote location and we do suffer occasional power cuts, or more usually, power interruptions. I have my HS3 machine and router on a UPS to protect and if necessary gracefully shut down HS3 as well as alerting me with a pushover message.

Having said that I don't think I ever experienced a database corruption in HS3 running on windows even before I introduced the UPS. I don't know what hardware you are running but I think the Raspberry Pi is much more prone to forced shutdown corruption.

Steve

Comment

SDJ-VStat is now in the HS3 updater and has its own sub forum.
                              I will close this thread so if you have any queries or comments please start a new thread in the sub forum.

Thanks,
                              Steve

Comment

This plugin doesn't seem to work with Google home.
                                The log gives an error: JSON controldevicebyvalue ref 0 not found - when adding the root device as a voice-device, and syncing to google home.
                                Adding the child devices, doesn't do anything in the google home app.

Comment

Working...
                                X