• Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeKit - Apples attempt at home automation

I'm guessing some of you have seen this,

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/03/a...ected-homekit/

thoughts?
    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Similar topic here:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...38#post1123738

I don't think that I could ever conform to Apple's view of what I should want.

Comment

voice integration

Well see, I think there is a huge opportunity if nothing else than to be able to have Siri take commands and issue them straight to homeseer. That is likely the only hope on the horizon for working voice control of homeseer.

As much as I like homeseer and have built a lot around it...I'll be honest this could cause me to switch to something else if homeseer is left behind and homekit really does start to work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd32 View Post
        Well see, I think there is a huge opportunity if nothing else than to be able to have Siri take commands and issue them straight to homeseer. That is likely the only hope on the horizon for working voice control of homeseer.

As much as I like homeseer and have built a lot around it...I'll be honest this could cause me to switch to something else if homeseer is left behind and homekit really does start to work well.
        My hope is HST or someone creates a plug-in with HS and HomeKit to expose status and control. Then *any* iOS app developed can immediately work with HS provided they fully support HomeKit.

I can see a Lite version which is just control, and a full version with status info as well as deeper integration
        huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I was a little surprised that it wasn't http based API exposed with the get go.

Comment

Juist started looking into this.
            It seems to be a HTTP API (JSON) for communicating with the device. The discovery of the service is done by Apple Bonjour.

Unfortunately as a developer you have to get through some credit check before you are given access to the protocol reference.
            Cannot promise anything, but when I have more details about the protocol I will try to create a plugin.

I will create a separate post at the appropriate location when I start with this.
            Last edited by Fraggel; September 25, 2014, 01:50 AM. Reason: Typos fixed

Comment

Excellent! You might want to collaborate with Spud he's written some great plugins that work with bonjour.

Comment

Thanks for the advise!

At this moment the credit check is in progress, this can take up two two weeks. So keep your fingers crossed :-X

Unfortunately there is a Non-Disclosure Agreement which I had to sign before entering the MFi program. Therefore the homekit protocol is also under NDA. So as far as online collaboration is needed for this plugin, it will be limited to general homeseer plugin implementation issues or perhaps bonjour integration.

Comment

Excellent news and progress. Someone else here has integrated find my phone I'm so glad to see the iOS decelopment scene picking up!

Comment

Passed the credit check, but Apple does not let me enter the program because software based hubs are not supported at the moment.

Apple is possibly not willing for third parties to mingle with their homekit protocol.

If someone hears otherwise, please drop a message.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggel View Post
                      Passed the credit check, but Apple does not let me enter the program because software based hubs are not supported at the moment.

Apple is possibly not willing for third parties to mingle with their homekit protocol.

If someone hears otherwise, please drop a message.
                      So it needs to be cloud based?
                      HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                      53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                      https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

No. Apple wants their software to run on a device.
                        Just a softwareprogram (eg. plugin) for connecting to homekit: a software based hub is not supported.

I resubmitted my form with a little different description of what i am trying to accomplish. It could as well be some kind of misunderstanding in communication as I think building a plugin should be quite easy.

Comment

I have access to the api documentation now.

Because of all the terms, I am not sure yet how to proceed.
                          The license allows me to develop software using homekit now, but I am not sure whether it allows me to sell it to end users myself.
                          I have to look into that some more.

Keep posted!

Comment

I'm watching this thread with great anticipation...

Keep up the good work and please keep us informed :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggel View Post
                              I have access to the api documentation now.

Because of all the terms, I am not sure yet how to proceed.
                              The license allows me to develop software using homekit now, but I am not sure whether it allows me to sell it to end users myself.
                              I have to look into that some more.

Keep posted!
                              Free iOS app with paid HS plugin, or free HS plugin and paid iOS app? Of course, if you go for free on both and just ask for donations, I'd offer up a donation.

Voice control via SIRI interacting directly with HS without jailbreaking!
                              huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Working...
                              X