I know nothing about game consoles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I'm thinking about getting one. Mostly it would need to be able to display on TV (HDMI?), have wireless controls and capable of simultaneous game play. This would be for my wife and I to play whatever games are multiplayer.
    Which console has the best "simple" dual player games?

Thanks for any comments!

That is a loaded question.
    Some folks use one connected to their television and other folks utilize all of them.

Today most game consoles have multiple player consoles (remote) and do split screens on the LCD monitor (TV).

Personally never got much in to game consoles. Still have the original Atari game console (have not used it since the 1980's)

Son had his own TV and multiple game consoles in his bedroom. He went on to getting a game programming degree (didn't even know these existed).

Googling most popular game consoles see:
    • Amazon Fire TV. ...
    • Microsoft Xbox One. ...
    • Sony Playstation 4. ...
    • Nintendo 3DS. ...
    • Sony Playstation Vita. ...
    • Alienware Steam Machine. ...
    • Microsoft Xbox 360 Pro Set. ...
    • Android 4.2 Gaming Console Tablet.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks for the comment Pete. This is one of those things where I get lost in my research and five hours later - I don't buy anything.

Looking for someone to recommend from personal experience - me + wife + multiplayer fun game. Maybe someone has a similar circumstance

Thanks for any comments!

Comment

So it sounds like you want multiplayer co-op style gaming. Other options are, 4K play, portability, and VR.

Each manufacturer (M$,$ony, Nintendo) has their own primary model Xbox one, PS4, and switch.

In 2013 Valve began to pick away at the line between PC gaming and console gaming with steamOS a Linux based alternative that can be installed on any PC connected to a TV and controllers. Since then the NVIDIA shield was released and androidTV systems are picking further away at tebsoft line between PC and console gaming.

Each of the three main console brands has assortment of proprietary titles. Take a look at them and note what you won't have access to when you make a purchase.

From a Hardware perspective I think $ony is inches ahead of the other three. Followed by M$, and then Nintendo. The best part about the SteamOS is that you can upgrade your hardware.

When I played consoles with my wife, I liked Nintendo the most. It was the easiest to just pickup a controller and play for 30 minutes with her. If I was playing by myself I liked both Xbox 360. Most of the reason there was that I was more into Halo and gears of war than god of war.
        Now I play PC games and run steam on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
          So it sounds like you want multiplayer co-op style gaming. Other options are, 4K play, portability, and VR.

Each manufacturer (M$,$ony, Nintendo) has their own primary model Xbox one, PS4, and switch.

In 2013 Valve began to pick away at the line between PC gaming and console gaming with steamOS a Linux based alternative that can be installed on any PC connected to a TV and controllers. Since then the NVIDIA shield was released and androidTV systems are picking further away at tebsoft line between PC and console gaming.

Each of the three main console brands has assortment of proprietary titles. Take a look at them and note what you won't have access to when you make a purchase.

From a Hardware perspective I think $ony is inches ahead of the other three. Followed by M$, and then Nintendo. The best part about the SteamOS is that you can upgrade your hardware.

When I played consoles with my wife, I liked Nintendo the most. It was the easiest to just pickup a controller and play for 30 minutes with her. If I was playing by myself I liked both Xbox 360. Most of the reason there was that I was more into Halo and gears of war than god of war.
          Now I play PC games and run steam on it.

Thanks - I remember a lot of my misspent youth was with Nintendo games!
          Hopefully it has games with simultaneous play? Sorry if that is something different than what I had stated earlier - I remember old games where you could play against someone but you might have to wait your turn? Probably not a thing anymore (Commodore 64 lol)

Comment

I recommend building a gaming box and running steam. You get the benefit of a lot of flexibility with your rig and it can serve multiple functions such as htpc and Remote Desktop. Also steam has inbuilt streaming so that you can run the box as a server and play on any tv in the house (one user). You can use multiple controllers on each remote setup though. For example my setup is a very capable box hooked up to a projector in the den, then the steam link box in the bedroom and the app on the Samsung tv. It gives a lot of flexibility based on what I’m trying to do at any given time. Being a pc you can do really cool stuff like run an app that syncs his lights to whatever is on the screen. You can automate it however you want since it is a pc using eventghost and native remote control of plex or kodi. Then you can also get into emulation and play old school stuff. You can even get wiimotes and have an emulated wii.

If you’re going console get the Xbox one x when it comes out. It will support 4k gaming and has an ultra he blue ray drive. Also runs a version of Windows 10.

The thing about the of route is that you can do whatever you want. If you have an idea for automation of customization it’s there. Someone has written an app or coded a hack on GitHub

Comment

I have owned every Sony consoles PlayStation 1,2,3,4 and 5. I recently bought a gaming PC because PlayStation doesn't offer a lot of VR games. I think the type of games you want to play could have a factor in which is better for you. I mostly play racing games and have noticed over the years on (PS4 anyway) that games that have split screens, meaning 2 players can play at the same time have become less available. They seem to focus more on single player or online for multi player. Other consoles might be different or even other games on PS4 that I haven't played might be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                Thanks - I remember a lot of my misspent youth was with Nintendo games!

Hopefully it has games with simultaneous play? Sorry if that is something different than what I had stated earlier - I remember old games where you could play against someone but you might have to wait your turn? Probably not a thing anymore (Commodore 64 lol)

My brother-in-law has a Nintendo switch and it does has the co-op style of games. Though I don't know how many titles do that still.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                    My brother-in-law has a Nintendo switch and it does has the co-op style of games. Though I don't know how many titles do that still.

"Co-Op" Thanks much for mentioning, Kerat. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by freeon View Post
                      I have owned every Sony consoles PlayStation 1,2,3,4 and 5. I recently bought a gaming PC because PlayStation doesn't offer a lot of VR games. I think the type of games you want to play could have a factor in which is better for you. I mostly play racing games and have noticed over the years on (PS4 anyway) that games that have split screens, meaning 2 players can play at the same time have become less available. They seem to focus more on single player or online for multi player. Other consoles might be different or even other games on PS4 that I haven't played might be different.
                      That's exactly what I had envisioned - I must have seen a commercial or advertisement way back that did a split-screen game.
                      As Kideon suggested, Steam games might be something I will look at.

Comment

I am betting Halo is a war type game. Not sure if the wife would go for it or not. Split screen for the "Co-Op" or?

Thanks for the comment

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          Not sure if the wife would go for it or not.
                          I think you have your answer right here. Go to a game store and look at the available games. See which ones you and your wife would want to play.
                          Then find out which game console those games can be played on.
                          That will narrow down your choices.
                          --
                          Jeff Farmer
                          HS 3, HSPhone
                          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Thank you for the comment CFGuy!

Comment

Purchased a few Kinect's from a place called Gamestop.

Thinking they rent game consoles and sell refurbished ones.

Neighbors purchased the Nintendo Wii console a few years back. I only saw their teens playing with it. We would do BBQ's / holidays there and really never saw anybody playing with it.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X