Linux love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by askme View Post
    Do you have IP connectivity to your Caddx box?
    I currently have the panel in a closet with a 25ft serial cable running to another closet where the router and modem is. It's plugged into a pi2 (along with a usb SmartStick+) running "virtual here" software so the HS3 server which is running in an office can use both those usb ports/devcies.

I used to have a vera in that spot next to the router (which is central to the house). When I removed vera I wanted to use the same cable and location for z-wave (without moving a windows machine to that closet). So a pi2 took the place of vera and I made the swap.

I would like to replace the long serial cable with cat5 and with the moved to linux (pi3) the whole HS3 would now be right where the router and modem is eliminating the pi2 and virtual here stuff I'm currently running.

Comment

Thanks. I need to look into the Virtually Here stuff. I actually do have cat5 running from my windows server to the Caddx, but only because I needed to make a long custom cable to connect to the NX-8e anyway, and had a lot of cat5 around. Then just used a serial cable connector kit to create the other side.

I realized that if I can move off of the windows server completely, I can actually mount the Pi directly in the Caddx panel box as the Caddx already has backup power, card slots, hard line to most of the house, etc.

Comment

Thanks. I need to look into the Virtually Here stuff. I actually do have cat5 running from my windows server to the Caddx, but only because I needed to make a long custom cable to connect to the NX-8e anyway, and had a lot of cat5 around. Then just used a serial cable connector kit to create the other side.

I realized that if I can move off of the windows server completely, I can actually mount the Pi directly in the Caddx panel box as the Caddx already has backup power, card slots, hard line to most of the house, etc.
        I like the backup power option what did you have in mind? Something like this running directly to the 12v battery and letting the battery charge from the panel?
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1721199...&ul_noapp=true

Virtual here: www.virtualhere.com
        Has been working good. It's possible to have troubles on pi reboot sometimes. Most of the time it works fine but I have ran into a few times where after either the pi or the server reboot the connection didn't auto connect. It's 98% good but it would be better to have my panel and Z-wave stick plugged directly into the server. That just didn't work out for the time being.

I run alot of POE cameras wifi Ap's and Cat6 threw my house (have crimpers ends and several boxes of 1000ft rolls). I might not need to bother with Networking the panel after hearing your idea of putting the pi in the box. I would probley want or need a Z-net or so tho to keep the z-wave network central to the house.

Comment

I can actually mount the Pi directly in the Caddx panel box as the Caddx already has backup power
          Looking more into this I think I might run into a power draw issue. I read one article (not very reliable) that the alarm panel only outputs 700mA to charge the 12v battery. If that is true (maybe you have more info or better source) then my idea wouldn't work as I would probley draw more then it's charging and end up with a dead battery.

Have you looked into this or have more info, better way?

Comment

I know we have strayed from to topic of this thread a bit, but I was expecting to just use a step down converter. The backup battery has 4.5ah and I really only was looking to keep things from rebooting on a power blip. Longer term
            Power outages it will be other parts of the system that will go down first.

What are you do By with PoE? I have recently put in a PoE switch to power APs. Haven't used it for much else so far. I do have a dozen analog cameras, it don't know of a way to convert them to IP/PoE as I can't imagine rewiring all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rien du Pre View Post
              Hi Guy's,

I Will try To get this working as soon as I have a working Linux based setup
              An update from my side.
              I received a PI from a friendly user and installed HSPRO on it. I cannot use my existing HS license on it, so I have 30 (-2) day to get this working on the evaluation version.

After a long day of programming and testing I am able to retrieve data from the Caddx using a serial to USB cable on the PI

But unfortunately there are stil some errors on the way the data is handled.

I need some more time to solve these issues, but I'm confident to get this working.

Keep you posted.
              Regards,

Rien du Pre
              The Netherlands
              Using:
              Homeseer PRO latest HS4 BETA on a Raspberry
              Plugin's:
              RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

Thanks for the update! Why is your liscence for windows not also working on linux? I use mine on both.

Keep up the hard work and post if you need help with the errors.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                  Thanks for the update! Why is your liscence for windows not also working on linux? I use mine on both.

Keep up the hard work and post if you need help with the errors.

Thanks
                  At HS they told me that they use a different license for the PI and I could not use the 'normal' one (in fact it doesn't work)

Do anyone of you know why this statement:

Code:
                   Val1 = CLng("&H" & Byte1)
                  Does work in Windows but not in Linux ?
                  Regards,

Rien du Pre
                  The Netherlands
                  Using:
                  Plugin's:
                  RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

At HS they told me that they use a different license for the PI and I could not use the 'normal' one (in fact it doesn't work)
                    This is because your installing the pi version on your linux box(pi).We are not installing the pi version becasue it limits you to only 5 plugins. If you install full linux version on the pi then your user and serial for windows will work and you will not have a 5 plugin limit.

With that said if 30 days are enough, your testing probley dont matter. If you need more then 30 just unistall the pi version of hs3 and install the full linux version.

Thanks again

Comment

I need 2 volunteers to test the new version which seems to work.

I did not do any extensive testing yet, but it's time to go for diner with the family so I will be gone for a while.

The new version is located at: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...HSPI_Caddx.exe

I would be great if you could test it with bot Windows as Linux.

In the Com port field you now have to fill in the complete tekst to the com port.
                      - For Windows --> for instance Com1
                      - For Linux --> for instance /dev/ttyUSB0
                      Save the config, before connecting to the Caddx panel

If I have some more time I will look into a dropdown list of available com ports.

Let me know what you experience.
                      Regards,

Rien du Pre
                      The Netherlands
                      Using:
                      Plugin's:
                      RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

Do anyone of you know why this statement:

Code:
                         Val1 = CLng("&H" & Byte1)
                        Does work in Windows but not in Linux ?
                        Not supported. I brute force it using:
                        Val1 = Val("&H" & Byte1 & "&")

Z

Comment

I need 2 volunteers to test the new version which seems to work.

I did not do any extensive testing yet, but it's time to go for diner with the family so I will be gone for a while.

The new version is located at: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...HSPI_Caddx.exe

I would be great if you could test it with bot Windows as Linux.

In the Com port field you now have to fill in the complete tekst to the com port.
                          - For Windows --> for instance Com1
                          - For Linux --> for instance /dev/ttyUSB0
                          Save the config, before connecting to the Caddx panel

If I have some more time I will look into a dropdown list of available com ports.

Let me know what you experience.
                          I got you .exe installed and got the panel physically connected to the Pi. I used "/dev/ttyUSB0" which worked without issues. (I do have a usb flash drive plugged into the pi and now the panel but nothing else).

I haven't done any arming or disarming or anything but so far the doors and window inputs all seem to be reporting just fine and updating/working.

I do get some errors in the log, but don't know what they mean. I have not tested or installed it on my main windows machine.
                          Code:
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Plug-In	Finished initializing plug-in Caddx
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 3-5-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 0-1-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 0-B-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Started FletcherChecksum module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Started ValidFletchSum module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Started ProcessCaddxMessages module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx ComRxLine()- Data Received is 0B01352E3338720DFA1D57FCC645
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx ComRxLine()- Bytes to read = 56
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Finished ComRxLinemodule
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Finished ProcessCaddxMessages module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Finished InitCaddx module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Finished ComTxLine Open module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Finished IntrepretCaddxMessages module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx ComTxLine - myRquest = 073B100A170C3101B14D
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Entering ComTXLine module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Started systemStatus module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx SendRequestToPanel - Requesting = 073B100A170C3101B14D
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Processing message: 08
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 3-1-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Intrepret message = 0C0804000000000200000001304B67
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 0-C-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Started IntrepretCaddxMessages module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 1-7-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Started AwknowledgeTheMessage module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 0-A-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 3-0-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 1-0-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 3-B-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 0-0-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 0-7-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx The Panel time is now in sync with the HS PC with the time of 10/23/2016 12:49:06 PM
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 0-2-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx ComTxLine - myRquest = 01272829
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 0-4-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx SendRequestToPanel - Requesting = 01272829
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 0-8-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 2-7-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 0-C-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Started ValidFletchSum module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Started ProcessCaddxMessages module
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx ComTxLine - myRquest = 01212223
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx ComRxLine()- Data Received is 0C0804000000000200000001304B67
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx SendRequestToPanel - Requesting = 01212223
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 2-1-
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx ComTxLine - myRquest = 0128292A
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx SendRequestToPanel - Requesting = 0128292A
                          Oct-23 12:49:06 PM	 	Caddx Error	Plugin: CaddxTest2b: 2-8-
                          Oct-23 12:49:04 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx ComRxLine()- Bytes to read = 0
                          Oct-23 12:49:04 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Entering ComRXLine module
                          Oct-23 12:49:04 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Finished Com Open module
                          Oct-23 12:49:04 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Com port /dev/ttyUSB0 Opened
                          Oct-23 12:49:04 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Entering Com Open module
                          Oct-23 12:49:04 PM	 	Caddx	Plugin: Caddx Entering InitCaddx module
                          Oct-23 12:49:04 PM	 	Caddx	InitIO called, plug-in is being initialized...
                          Oct-23 12:49:03 PM	 	Info	Plugin Caddx has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:57758
                          Last edited by integlikewhoa; October 23, 2016, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Corrected the error messages, they were just informational.

You can copy the new exe from the same location.
                            Regards,

Rien du Pre
                            The Netherlands
                            Using:
                            Plugin's:
                            RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

This is great progress, but I won't be able to test for a few days.

Comment

Corrected the error messages, they were just informational.

You can copy the new exe from the same location.
                                Testing new one today. So far errors are gone and also saw the Serial/USB port drop down which seems to be working nicely.

Keep up the good work! I continue testing later tonight after work.

Comment

Working...
                                X