Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete, thank you for the detailed responses.

I answer the easy question first.

The MAC Mini server I7 16Gb.
    https://support.apple.com/kb/SP660?locale=en_AU

Just testing it now and the core issue is the logs as discussed earlier.

My system is about 75 z-wave devices, sonos x 6, DSC 1864, Harmony and a few minor things.

I have bounced between WINTEL i7 16 Gb, the RasPi 3, Mac Min with VM WINTEL and a few other Atom system I had around...

the one persistent issues was z-wave response which would experience inordinate delays. I am using a z-wave me USB and the best response has been on the MAC Mini server.

I have a Pine64 2gb but awaiting the z-wave as AU is last to be delivered and they keep send to the wrong address. I haven't had any spare time to sent this up, but Ubuntu is looking very promising.

The biggest issue of running on the MAC is updates takes your HA offline.

The good point for RaspPi 3, low power

I like the Pine64 but I need to test, especially given the known defects that have been reported.

It is a matter of time and commitment and my work is just not giving time to commit too this, so the advice and your experience is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Yup; with HS3 Pro you do not need a monitor connected to the computer.

Running iOS on the Mac Mini will utilize valuable resources to graphical interface similiar to using Windows 10.

On Homeseer 2 went over to running it on Windows 2003 standard server.

Running Wintel servers (2) as VB's on the Ubuntu box just for different adds (hardware is a PITA to deal with though but have it working).

Suggesting here to just install Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit on your MAC mini to be able to get the most from the i7 / 16Gb of memory.

After all you are really only interested in a Home Automation server and not so much a desktop computer. Think of the automation server as an appliance only used for automation.

IE: I put my RPi2 Z-Wave slave in the attic with a POE connection to power it. The Pine64/2Gb / Xi5A (running HS3 Lite) have no monitor / keyboard connected today.

I have another RPi2 running headless CumulusMX connected to my Davis Weather station console. The RPi2 is velcroed to the back of the wireless Davis console.

I have not had any issues with the Pine64 / 2Gb machine. I have read that the video GPU works but is a bit lite. That said the built in RTC / 2Gb of memory makes it a better computer than the RPi3 for me.

Here over the years have always shut down Homeseer when updating the OS out of habit I guess.

I shutdown HS3 today when doing Ubuntu updates.

I also tested the PipoX7 Intel Baytrail / 2Gb computer running Ubuntu 64 bit and it did much better than the RPi2. That said I decided to keep the PipoX7 Windows 10 machine connected to a 15" multitouch monitor and Kinect for that ultimate Homeseer Touch screen.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Still here working on my fat Jessie build removing stuff.

Noticed this morning after 5 days running here it is slowing down and not running HS3.

I should be done with it and just start from scratch with Jessie lite.

Guessing doing this lets me get familiar with Jessie.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

HS3 Linux Instructions for MAC OS

Pete,

I haven't really done anything at all on this front due to a death in the family.
          HS3 Pro has been running on the MAC Mini Server without issue... the only thing I did do was upgrade the z-wave plugin and both .87 and beta .94 were a lot less responsive then .83, so I downgrade back to .83.

I too had HS2 running on Server 2003 and then moved it to a Win Home Server but when I changed my employment, I decided to down scale and moved to Vera for a number of years.

Most of the systems here run headless or VM but I have a few fully connected systems, including two RaspPi Kano for the kids.

The irony is, I now have multiple monitors and keyboards stacked in racking in the garage maybe time to get rid of them.

I never thought about installing Ubuntu, I have 16.04 running on ESxi but unused. I have a habit of install new version of any software in sandbox before updating. The Mac Mini Server does run a few other things, so it isn't a candidate but I have another Mac Mini I5 I could test on.

I have the same Davis setup running on the Mac Mini running Weather-Display.

I did run up one of the Pine64 on Android and used it with a HP 23in Touch Screen. I agree the performance shows real potential and I look at this and Ubuntu once I get through this week.

Comment

The irony is, I now have multiple monitors and keyboards stacked in racking in the garage maybe time to get rid of them.

I had similar stacked in the basement here. Found a service that put a large container (10 yard size?) in the driveway and said I could put anything in it except for cement.

So dumped about 20 plus monitors of various sizes and many old computers. (> 20) plus an assortment of other electronics and other stuff that was junk in the house.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
              Hello.

I am debating which way to go, stay WINTEL, or RasP1 3, or Pine64 2Gb or Mac Mini Server.

I am currently testing the migration of HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.297 (Linux) to a Mac Mini Sierra 10.12, Overall migration went well except for the one error with the log.
              Code:
              [Error]->GetLog Error: sqlite3_column_database_name16
              Therefore, I am trying to establish the final outcome from the experieces and lesson learnt and/or what was the Mono version used as the work around. Your assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.
              Same error here and no logging in the web interface. I think it's related..
              Regards,

Rien du Pre
              The Netherlands
              Using:
              Homeseer PRO latest HS4 BETA on a Raspberry
              Plugin's:
              RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by cesarvog View Post
                Thanks for answering back.

Here we have an all Apple household as well. I would very much like to keep it that way, but...

I'm currently also trying Blue Iris 4 (to manage security cams on my property). Unfortunately, it seems to be Windows only... So, I've set it up on a Windows 10 Pro VM under Parallels Desktop 11. I must say I'm quite impressed by it's feature set and that it has been running quite well, despite being run from a VM.

I've learned about Blue Iris here at the homeseer forum and I'm glad I've decided to take a little look at it. Over several years, I've been a loyal SecuritySpy (http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/) user, but I think I like Blue Iris a little too much... I think I may end up keeping it.

Because of the afore mentioned situation, If I can't get to run HS3 Linux on the Mac because of the Log issue, I most likely will end up giving up on the Linux version altogether and end up running the Windows version of HS3 on the VM as well. Will see...

But first, I will go ahead and try the Mono version you mentioned on your previous post. I will post back with the results.
                Give Xeoma a try, it's got a Mac version and I've chosen it over blue iris (mainly due to the VM) and Security soy due to features, all my xeoma cameras are available in Homeseer too without the need for costly plugin. The Xeoma support is also extremely responsive which makes a nice change

If I had one complaint about Xeoma, it wood be that the iOS app is a bit basic, that said, I can view all my cameras and replay old footage thats recorded s it does what I want.

Give it a go

Comment

@Tim

Here like the Z-Wave GPIO card (direct serial - ZWave dot me card) inside of the RPi2 thing. Thinking the antenna is bigger than in the USB stick. Repurposed the old RPi2 / Zee-2 to a Z-Wave slave which sits in the attic via a POE connection. I also have Z-Wave sticks here but do not use them at this time. This would be similiar to using the ZNet device via POE. Note too this is relating to a brick two story home with a basement in which the Z-Wave GPIO devices covers three floors down and a bit outside stuff. I have replicated the Z-Wave network to a Leviton VRCOP which is connected to my Leviton OmniPro 2 combination security / automation panel. The VRCOP is in the basement adjacent to metal conduit / fuse panel and working fine. I am also using a Leviton Zigbee ZIM in the basement via a serial connection to the OmniPro 2 panel and it's footprint is good too. I do automation stuff here a la carte. The UPB is powerline on steroids and used for my in wall light switches and scene controllers and using a UPB phase repeater inside of the electrical fuse panel.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Regarding the error :
                    Code:
                    It's not a specific homeseer error. It's basically an sqlite3 on mac os using mono problem. The out-of-the box sqlite3 isn't compiled with the necessary SQLITE_ENABLE_COLUMN_METADATA flag needed for System.Data.SQLite.dll to retrieve the metadata of columns (requested by homeseer core) .

* Download sqlite3 source
                    * Use -DSQLITE_ENABLE_COLUMN_METADATA=1 flag
                    * make
                    * copy fresh libsqlite3.0.dylib in homeseer home directory

Running all fine and dandy now.

Comment

Would you mind sending me that lib file, I will include it with the MAC OSX install. Send it to my email rjhAThomeseer.com.

Thanks!

Originally posted by ihomeautomate View Post
                      Regarding the error :

It's not a specific homeseer error. It's basically an sqlite3 on mac os using mono problem. The out-of-the box sqlite3 isn't compiled with the necessary SQLITE_ENABLE_COLUMN_METADATA flag needed for System.Data.SQLite.dll to retrieve the metadata of columns (requested by homeseer core) .

* Download sqlite3 source
                      * Use -DSQLITE_ENABLE_COLUMN_METADATA=1 flag
                      * make
                      * copy fresh libsqlite3.0.dylib in homeseer home directory

Running all fine and dandy now.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Any update on this? Rich, did you receive (or can you compile) that file?

Terry

Comment

I had HomeSeer install on my PC but just kept finding response time to be too slow. I installed it on my Mac Mini for about a week now and this was the only issue and it runs much faster. Just incase anyone needs it here is the steps I found online to correct the

Code:
                          error i was getting while trying to view the logs in the web interface:

http://www.ihomeautomate.com/2017/02...se_name_error/

I built it in put it in HomeSeer's Bin folder. Fixed that error and the log page now functions.

Now need to work on autostarting it as a service in the back ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Airey001 View Post
                            I had HomeSeer install on my PC but just kept finding response time to be too slow. I installed it on my Mac Mini for about a week now and this was the only issue and it runs much faster. Just incase anyone needs it here is the steps I found online to correct the

Code:

error i was getting while trying to view the logs in the web interface:

http://www.ihomeautomate.com/2017/02...se_name_error/

I built it in put it in HomeSeer's Bin folder. Fixed that error and the log page now functions.

Now need to work on autostarting it as a service in the back ground.

If you see post 40 by Rich, if you send him a copy he will include in future releases

Comment

Rich,

Check your email.

Thanks,
                              Aaron

Comment

To get the log working on MacOS, download the following lib file and save it to the bin folder in the HomeSeer folder. Thanks to Airey001 for the fix. I will get this integrated into a Mac install.

https://homeseer.com/updates3/libsqlite3.0.dylib
                                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                                X