Two IP addresses for my ZNet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two IP addresses for my ZNet

Can someone explain to me why I have two IP addresses for one Z-Net.

See Attached Capture

Current Date/Time: 5/8/2018 10:51:40 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.435
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard - Work Station
    System Uptime: 6 Days 0 Hours 37 Minutes 54 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.215
    Number of Devices: 394
    Number of Events: 37
    Available Threads: 200
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed:

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.3.0.0: APCUPSD
    3.0.0.103: LutronCaseta
    3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3
    3.0.6700.37439: UltraM1G3
    3.0.5712.31691: UltraWeatherBug3
    3.0.1.212: Z-Wave
    Attached Files

Scratch that, I didn't notice they had the same MAC for both. That is odd.

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post
      Scratch that, I didn't notice they had the same MAC for both. That is odd.
      Bottom line? MAC address notwithstanding, you probably don't really want to have two IP addresses for the same NIC. (Especially adjacent ones...)

Have you set a static IP address and a DHCP assignment, too?
      HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
      Home Assistant 2024.3
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
      Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
      Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
      WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
      AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Comment

Uh.... from what you posted, I thought they were the same MAC address!

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
          I wanted to have the same IP address so when Ethernet is disconnected the Wi-Fi takes over with the same IP. Theoretically everything would continue working without the need to go into HS and switch the interface IP. It would be nice for some redundancy and auto-switching built-in.
          It would be pretty cool to have the same IP address for both wired and WiFi, if they were mutually exclusive. I'm not a Raspberry Pi person, but I would have thought that WiFi and Wired would not share the same MAC address. If they do share the same MAC address, it sounds like a DHCP assignment might do what you want.
          Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Every device (network card - wired or wireless) has a unique MAC address. IP addresses are assigned (reserved) based on the MAC. It's possible for them to use the same IP, but not likely.

Comment

I think you can do it with some high end gear like pfsense or something. LAN based DNS Server or something.

Comment

The hardware addresses are different for the wired and wireless MACs - so its not really feasible to have the same IP assigned to both.

Even if you only run one interface at a time, the IP to MAC address mapping in all the attached equipment (routers, switches, other computers) will be cached. So unless you want to reboot the entire network, this is a non-starter.

Addressing the original question - what version of z-net is this? wired, wirless or both?
                Did you use the z-net web config page to set a static IP by chance? On the V2 z-net, the method used for assigning static IP addresses is not correct and will result in two addresses assigned - the programmed static address and a DHCP assigned one. This has been discussed here:
                https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=177810
                https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=193691

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                  I think you can do it with some high end gear like pfsense or something. LAN based DNS Server or something.
                  You cannot have two live network devices at the same IP address. You could bring the wireless up at the same IP as the wired interface, if the wired interface is disconnected. Also since each interface has a different MAC address, it may take a period of time before the ARP tables in the switches and router are updated since it would be a new MAC at an old IP. The ARP table maps MAC addresses to physical ports on a switch. For a Z-Net it is far easier to have each interface at its own IP and to edit the IP in HomeSeer.

If you use the type HomeSeer Z-Net Ethernet, it will automatically be found by name with either interface. This is how HomeSeer designed it to operate. If you bring it up on WiFi it will choose that IP, or on Ethernet, the alternate IP.
                  Last edited by randy; August 27, 2018, 01:51 PM.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thank you for all the responses.

Most of this is over my head and understanding of this issue.

I installed the Z-net on an cable back to a data switch witch is connected to my FIOS router. My router is set for DHCP. I am experiencing no problems but I did a network scan and noticed the two IP addresses with the same mac address. I am tempted not to change anything as my network and HomeSeer system are working.

Comment

You really need to consider fixing this. While it is possible to assign two IP addresses to one MAC address, it can cause a train-wreck of packet collisions.

You basically have three options:

1) Unassigned DHCP Assignment
                      2) Reserved DHCP Assignment
                      3) Static IP Assignment

Before tackling the issue you might want to thoroughly investigate the options. This probably isn't a fix that will break anything, but you need to grasp what went wrong in assigning 2 IPs and how you will fix the issue.

Depending on the ARP table and the lease time (if unassigned DHCP is involved) this could "fix itself" or a reboot might hasten the process....
                      Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

I rebooted the router and I set the Z-Net to a static address. On a rescan I do not to two IP addresses any longer. BUT

See attached screen captures,

I see my S6 controller and my ZEE controller but I do not understand why I have a 3rd controller IP xxx.xxx.xxx.182. Anyone know what this is.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This is over my pay grade, but I'm gonna guess you have the Hometroller connected via WiFi and by cable..... if so, that is a big no-no. For your network, it would be like holding a different phone to each ear and trying to have a conversation with two different people at one time....

Personal opinion: Always choose the cable....
                          Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

The S6 has two wired Ethernet plus a wireless interface. Do you have the wireless configured?

If your Z-Net is a newer (V2) model and you are using the HomeSeer web interface to set a static IP, you may in the future have an additional address assigned. This is because HomeSeer doesn't disable the DCHP service when assigning a static address. Eventually the router may assign a different DHCP address, and the Z-Net will appear to have that address as well as the static one. To avoid this, set the Z-Net to DHCP address, then in the router assign a fixed address to the Z-Net MAC.

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                              This is over my pay grade, but I'm gonna guess you have the Hometroller connected via WiFi and by cable..... if so, that is a big no-no. For your network, it would be like holding a different phone to each ear and trying to have a conversation with two different people at one time....

Personal opinion: Always choose the cable....
                              While I agree that wired is better, your assessment that this will cause havoc is pretty off base. Most if not all modern operating systems implement a complete TCP stack which will make routing decisions based on the best interface to use. In the case of the wireless and wired, it will choose the faster of the two (which may not always be the wired one).

Comment

Working...
                              X