This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Sync Devices Together in HomeSeer

We added a new device linking feature in HS3 recently. Here's a little video on how it works with dimming devices. However, users can sync any devices that have the same values. The possibilities are up to you!

https://youtu.be/jajAZiG62aY
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

So, is there a way to override this?

For instance, I have 3 banks of recessed lights in my living room. Each is on it's own dimmer (South, Center, North). Normally all 3 banks are set the same level. However, sometimes, like when we watch movies, I want to have them be separate levels: north 25%, center and south 10%.

I'm thinking not, but was just a question.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
      So, is there a way to override this?

I'm thinking not, but was just a question.
      The link can't be undone with a event action and isn't subject to conditions, so no. This feature creates a "hard link" between devices. In your case, a script that works with a virtual device would be the way to set that up, me thinks...
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        The link can't be undone with a event action and isn't subject to conditions, so no. This feature creates a "hard link" between devices. In your case, a script that works with a virtual device would be the way to set that up, me thinks...
        Or Easy Trigger and a virtual device. Device on and a group is linked, device off and the group is not linked. I use HomeSeer HS-Wx100+ scenes to control the virtual device.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          Or Easy Trigger and a virtual device. Device on and a group is linked, device off and the group is not linked. I use HomeSeer HS-Wx100+ scenes to control the virtual device.
          What do you use easy trigger for? I ask because I would do via the virtual switch and the HS Dimmer and I have a feeling I might underutilize easy trigger which I pretty much only use for the time capabilities. thx

Comment

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
            What do you use easy trigger for? I ask because I would do via the virtual switch and the HS Dimmer and I have a feeling I might underutilize easy trigger which I pretty much only use for the time capabilities. thx
            I created a virtual master dim device that mirrors the 4 cooper dimmers in our media room:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1190626

Then I have an event that sets the four Cooper dimmers to the value of the virtual device any time the virtual device is set or changed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1190627

The four Dimmer Default virtual devices are turned off so that a change in level doesn't have the lights go to their default level. We use 5 time zones for dim levels. If the lights are manually turned on, they will go to the default level for that time zone. When we use the master dimmer we want the defaults disabled so that they don't override the setting. The last 4 actions are Easy Trigger actions that set the dimmers to the virtual device value. Since the trigger is if the virtual device is set or changed, any time the virtual device is touched, the four dimmers are aligned. Each dimmer can be adjusted individually as well, since they are not linked, except through the virtual device and an event.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              I created a virtual master dim device that mirrors the 4 cooper dimmers in our media room:
              Thanks, that is pretty much how I have used easy trigger as well. I have a door switch on the kid's room that when opened during specific times of day sets the dim levels appropriately. I also just ventured into using it to ready what the harmony is doing so we will see how that goes.

Thanks for sharing how you have set up your rendition of the linked switches.

Comment

....so that a change in level doesn't have the lights go to their default level....
                Hi Randy,

I had an issue start the other day and tracked it back to a lights default value.

Setup:

I have two lamps in the living room. Both are on Zigbee. I have events that turn the lamps on and off in the morning (5:30 am to 30 minutes past sunrise) and then events that run in the evening. Since Zigbee does not dim, it is just on and off. No sweat. Lamp 01 and Lamp 02 are linked using the new Linked Device in HS3.

Scenario:

The other day, one of the lamps got set to 46%. Since zigbee does not dim, the lamp was just "On" but HS device said 46%. Somehow this became the default (what I am trying to figure out). So when my next event turned them on, they went to 46% and when the off event ran, it did not work as it looks to see if one of the lamps has a value of "On". Since it was at 46% it had a value of "Dim" so the event did not work.

Today, I went in and tried to change lamp 1 to On, but lamp 2 set it back to 46% (because they are linked). It took several tries to get it to go to 100% or On.

So the question is, where does the system hold the default value? I do not see a field for default value.

I know my fix will be to remove the check to see if the lamp is "On", but would be nice to have this run correctly, so if you set it to On, it goes to 100% or On instead of the last value.

Thanks for your help.

Michael
                HS3Pro & HS4Pro on Win2012R2
                Aeotec, Cooper, Cree, GE/Jasco, Intermatic, LIFX, Fortrezz, OSRAM, RCS, Trane, Zooz
                BLBackup, BLGData, BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch, InvisaLink, HSBuddy, IFTTT, JowiHue, NetCAM, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Random, rnbWeather, UltraLighting3, weatherXML, ZigBee, Z-Wave

Comment

I thought I had a good use for Linking Devices: I had half a dozen security floods that were wired to Lutron switches. I recently bought HS100's to replace the old PIR sensors, but found that I had to leave the switches on all the time. So I rewired so that the HS100's are now wired hot and the lutron switches are powered, but the switched output is disconnected. So now I can link from the Lutron switch to the HS100 floodlight switch for manual/automated floodlight control. However, it doesn't work:

When I set the "Linked Device" field in the lutron switch to control the HS100 flood switch, nothing happens when I change the lutron switch.
                  When I set the "Linked Device" field in the lutron switch to control another lutron switch, they sync as expected.
                  When I create an event to set the HS100 flood based on the value of the lutron switch, it works as expected.

So why won't the lutron switch drive the HS100 via "Linked Device"?

Comment

Working...
                  X