Robot insects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robot insects

Video of KiloBots autonomously forming shapes. They're not fast, but it's still startling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ZD1H70aQc7U

The robots, called Kilobots, were designed to mimic the behavior of insects and other organisms that can cooperate with each other in large groups. Just like a swarm of bees or a flock of birds, an army of hundreds of robots can gather and collaborate with each other, moving into formation without any human help.

The Kilobots use vibration motors to slide across the surface and infrared lights to communicate with their neighbors.

To optimize the collaborative power of the Kilobots, the researchers equipped them with cooperative monitoring features. The Kilobots can even correct their own mistakes; if traffic jam forms somewhere within the robot swarm, or if a robot moves off-course, nearby robots can notice the problem and work with each other to fix it.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Here's another video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G1t4M2XnIhI
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

That's funny. Last night on a rerun of Elementary (CBS), Sherlock Holmes was investigating a company that makes drones. When he got home he noticed a small insect buzzing on his desk. He put a clear water glass over it and then discovered it was a tiny drone sent to spy on him. I wonder how far away that is from reality.

Comment

Working...
      X