X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFTTT what is it?

Hello

What is IFTTT, is this another app?
    I have read the home seer page and been to the website, and still don't feel like I understand it?

Will this help me make phone calls or send txt from HS3

It's difficult to describe it really but it is basically a web service (so it does not run on any computer as such) that will enable you to do If...Then type logic (much like HS's event engine does) but connect a much wider range of services to it and they are all virtual connections (however they may be connected to hardware like the Wemo switches or something at some point) - the number of channels are triggers are fairly broad. I have recipes that upload photos from my phone directly to Google Drive, I have other recipes that will trigger events HS based on my location.

In relation to making phone calls and texts can you be a bit more specific as to what you are looking to do?

Comment

Ah I see, great description - so it sounds beneficial to test, especially if I want to do location based stuff... Is there a list of all the IFTTT devices & sites? I can google this.

I guess for the phone - I am looking for:
      • Knowing a phone call has come in to my home phone which is UK compaitable.
      • I also like the idea of an answer phone.

But also
      • Being able to make a phone call and say something or play a wav or mp3.

Now text -
      • I would like HS3 to be able to send a text message string like "warning fire alarm', "warning window left open", "device check ok" to my phone.

I know I can do similar with SMTP in the settings but would like txt features as well.

• I would also like to text HS3 "home mode on" and it run my home mode event... or "reply status" and it run another event.

Comment

I think HSPhone might be the method for landline integration, I have never used it and I think there are some UK modems out there but it was not included in HS3 (it is a hang on from HS2) so long term who knows what will happen to it. I don't think there is an IFTTT channel for landline integration and if there was it would have to be through some third party integrator. For what is available on IFTTT you are best looking at the channels and then look for something that might do what you are after.

Whilst you say text message and you can send messages through IFTTT you might want to look at my Pushover plugin, Pushover is a push messaging service and supports android/apple and should do what you are ultimately after. There are other push messaging services out there, I think there is a Pushbullet plugin in the updater also. http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163974 - going backwards and having two way talk with HS will not work with Pushover however.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeycoles View Post
          Ah I see, great description - so it sounds beneficial to test, especially if I want to do location based stuff... Is there a list of all the IFTTT devices & sites? I can google this.

I guess for the phone - I am looking for:
          • Knowing a phone call has come in to my home phone which is UK compaitable.
          • I also like the idea of an answer phone.

But also
          • Being able to make a phone call and say something or play a wav or mp3.

Now text -
          • I would like HS3 to be able to send a text message string like "warning fire alarm', "warning window left open", "device check ok" to my phone.

I know I can do similar with SMTP in the settings but would like txt features as well.

• I would also like to text HS3 "home mode on" and it run my home mode event... or "reply status" and it run another event.
          If really fancy more magic and of course from and to your own server then this one :http://store.homeseer.com/store/Task...HS3-P2081.aspx does all plus more!

Eman.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

That looks ideal! When I get back I will test it out on my iPhone.
            Thank you.

I think I can send HS3 commands by email which will do.
            Not as tidy but still good.

Comment

IFTTT is fine for non-mission critical events, but if you start relying on it to skirt your responsibility to utilize and understand the complexity of HS logic, then you best just turn in your HS man-card and go back to relying on the "cloud" for home automation. The cloud-only temptation is too great, but you must do your best to resist.

Comment

^^This. I tried ifttt and it's good for some things, but in the evening, the delays get to bad to make it usable. Sometimes up to 5 minutes.

Comment

mrhappy, Adam this is brilliant - it was exactly what I wanted and better than a txt message.
                  I can even specify a web url to my home webserver which displays with the push notification.
                  Very impressed, and the message acknowledge too - very neat.

Thank you

I would like to make a minor donation at least for a pint, would you PM me your email.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X