Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer is now available under Home Control in the Google Home App!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by codemonkey View Post
    Hey Rich, I just wanted to thank you for this! I think Google's implementation is way better than Amazon. Especially where you can create shortcuts to devices. Saves me having to rename everything.

Ditto here too, thank you guys for your hard work on this!

Comment

What schema are people using for naming devices?

When I link the account the devices are named "Location 1, Location 2, Device" in Google. I have my location 1 renamed to 'system' in my HS setup. So "Lighting, Kitchen, Kitchen Island Lights" for example.

I would have to say "hey Google, turn on the lighting kitchen kitchen island lights". Not very intuative.

I know I can assign nicknames to devices in Google. But every time you relink the account, which you have to do when you add a device, the nicknames get lost.

It's a bit of a pain. In it's current iteration, without the ability to retain nicknames or not having to specify location 1 and location 2, the Google integration is still at novelty level rather than useful function. Although I appreciate the work done so far.

Marty
      Last edited by mminehan; July 29, 2017, 04:51 PM.
      iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Originally posted by codemonkey View Post
        Especially where you can create shortcuts to devices. Saves me having to rename everything.
        What do you mean by 'create shortcuts'? Do you mean nicknames in Google? If so how do you get them to stick when relinking your account?

M
        iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Originally posted by mminehan View Post
          What do you mean by 'create shortcuts'? Do you mean nicknames in Google? If so how do you get them to stick when relinking your account?

M

Comment

Originally posted by mminehan View Post
            What schema are people using for naming devices?

When I link the account the devices are named "Location 1, Location 2, Device" in Google. I have my location 1 renamed to 'system' in my HS setup. So "Lighting, Kitchen, Kitchen Island Lights" for example.

I would have to say "hey Google, turn on the lighting kitchen kitchen island lights". Not very intuative.

I know I can assign nicknames to devices in Google. But every time you relink the account, which you have to do when you add a device, the nicknames get lost.

It's a bit of a pain. In it's current iteration, without the ability to retain nicknames or not having to specify location 1 and location 2, the Google integration is still at novelty level rather than useful function. Although I appreciate the work done so far.

Marty
            You don't HAVE to say all of that. You should be able to just say "Hey Google, turn on the island lights" (assuming you don't have "island lights" in any other location). It's pretty smart that way.

The reason it's like this is because it was a quick fix to the original algorithm which would have called the first "Lights" it saw "Lights" and the second one it saw "Location 2 Lights", and ultimately if you had duplicates in that location, it would have ended up "Location 1 Location 2 Lights" in order to provide a unique name. That made it horribly confusing because you never knew which one was "Lights" or which ones you had to say the location as part of the name, etc.

Ideally, giving each device a unique "voice name" is what would solve this for everyone, with both Amazon and Google Home, and is what I've been advocating for since February last year That may still be under consideration, but is a bigger change than adding the locations, which is both flexible (since you don't have to say the whole thing) and was a super quick fix on their end.

Comment

Rich,

Thanks for your support on this. I am sorry to say that I am not using this yet. I am currently using the ha-bridge to go to HS. I am afraid to experiment too much because Google nerfed the ability to link to the emulator now because it has to go through the HUE web site. I have a few questions...

How has the response time been for this? With ha-bridge it controls it via LAN so is blazing fast.

Are you working on a version that will support thermostats?

I am also wondering about the unlinking/linking to get new devices. With my current ha-bridge, when I add new devices to that they just come through without having to re-link.

-Tom

Originally posted by rjh View Post

You can now control any device that supports ON, OFF, Dim, or color selection like:

"Ok Google, turn off the light"
              "Ok, Google, set the light to fifty percent"
              "Ok, Google, set the color light to blue"
              - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
              Web Site
              YouTube Channel

Comment

We are going to add thermostats. I use it in my home, I say a command and the lights respond, seems pretty instant to me, or at least good enough.

As for linking, I have a request into Google about this, but the person who can answer is out, so still waiting. I suspect they will fix this soon.

Originally posted by tpchristian View Post
                Rich,

Thanks for your support on this. I am sorry to say that I am not using this yet. I am currently using the ha-bridge to go to HS. I am afraid to experiment too much because Google nerfed the ability to link to the emulator now because it has to go through the HUE web site. I have a few questions...

How has the response time been for this? With ha-bridge it controls it via LAN so is blazing fast.

Are you working on a version that will support thermostats?

I am also wondering about the unlinking/linking to get new devices. With my current ha-bridge, when I add new devices to that they just come through without having to re-link.

-Tom
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Rich. All good news.
                  Originally posted by rjh View Post
                  We are going to add thermostats. I use it in my home, I say a command and the lights respond, seems pretty instant to me, or at least good enough.

As for linking, I have a request into Google about this, but the person who can answer is out, so still waiting. I suspect they will fix this soon.
                  - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                  Web Site
                  YouTube Channel

Comment

Hi,
                    i was successful in adding some of my devices to google home.
                    when i try to add devices when i have something like my Yamaha receiver (through an add on) , no device is been added to google home.
                    is this the to many device issue? this occurs also if i enable just the on/off switch of the receiver to be voice active.

Comment

"Something went wrong. Try again"

Hi. I just bought and setup Google Home.

I have updated to the Beta 3.0.0.346 and setup a MyHS account. From the account I can control my HS system.

When I setup Homeseer in the Google Home app (Home Control /Add devices/ Homeseer) I enter the Homeseer MyHS Username and Password, click login and
                      there is a long pause with a white page and it then says...

"Something went wrong. Try again"

in a popup down the bottom of the screen.

Please can you help be work out what the issue is?

Note: I have repeated the process a number of times after resetting the Google Home device and same result. Other services (ie. Spotify) configure and work fine.

Comment

Something went wrong again

I had this issue as well. I removed the ability on many devices to control by voice and this solved the issue. I think it was under 100 devices that fixed it. At some point HS3 had the ability to use the pull down to do this action in bulk. Its the same pull down you use to make mass changes to Change Room/Floors.

At this point, the function is too immature for me to use. Will wait a bit before I try again.

Comment

Brilliant. That fixed it. Thankyou. Limited it it just lights, 10 or so devices now show in Google Home app.

Time to play.

I wonder when/if direct control (LAN to LAN, not via MyHS) will happen?

Comment

Hi Guys.
                            I just got google home and I'm having trouble getting it to connect. I enter my login info and i get a white screen that after a few seconds says "Something went wrong. Try again" i have tried many times over the last few days. Any help would be great.
                            Thanks

Comment

See post two above yours.

Comment

Thanks
                                Dont know how i missed that.

Comment

Working...
                                X