Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Z-Net Controllers on one network

Hi,
    I'm looking to install another Z-Net controller on my network specifically for redundancy purposes not to improve the coverage. Is this possible?

Right now I have a cabin that tends to have a lot of lightening strikes with power surges so my power outlets go dead and currently the outlet that my Z-Net is plugged into is dead and if I had another secondary Z-Net on another outlet I would think that I could control the entire network from that secondary controller until the primary came back online.

Can you tell me if this is possible?
    Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by whoamib View Post
    Hi,
    I'm looking to install another Z-Net controller on my network specifically for redundancy purposes not to improve the coverage. Is this possible?

Right now I have a cabin that tends to have a lot of lightening strikes with power surges so my power outlets go dead and currently the outlet that my Z-Net is plugged into is dead and if I had another secondary Z-Net on another outlet I would think that I could control the entire network from that secondary controller until the primary came back online.

Can you tell me if this is possible?
    Thanks in advance.
    I would like to do this also....

Comment

Originally posted by ScottRennie View Post
      I would like to do this also....
      Does anyone know if this is now possible. My Z-Net was a bit flakey for a while, so I got a replacement. The original one is working fine now, so I have the second controller doing nothing - I would like it to have some kind of 'failover' redundancy in case the original controller fails completely.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
      Scott

Comment

I posted a question on this awhile ago and never got a response. I thought with HS3 we could run multiple z-nets but I think since each device needs to be assigned to one unit, it isn't possible.

Comment

controllers

I have three controllers it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallina View Post
            I have three controllers it works fine.
            Are you saying have 3 controllers on the same HomeID that are redundant such that you can have a controller failure and your complete network remains functional?
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

controllers

each controller is given a ip address and plugged into the network. You'll find it under plugins /zwave.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallina View Post
                each controller is given a ip address and plugged into the network. You'll find it under plugins /zwave.
                I understand how to connect and configure Z-Wave controllers. I have three controllers as well, but I run three separate HomeIDs, there is no redundancy among the controllers.

What I am asking is about the specific topology of your network. The OP wanted to know if "I could control the entire network from that secondary controller until the primary came back online". Is your network arranged such that you can have a controller fail and retain a fully functioning network? It is my understanding that a device can only associate with a single controller, meaning there is no redundancy between controllers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	1192857
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I have no redundancy. this one of the reasons that I want to clean out all trollers. Have you done this if so what procedure did you use..

Comment

The ZWave protocol says that there can only be one master controller in a ZWave network (one controller to rule them all). However, you can have as many secondary controllers as you like. The secondary controllers can command the ZWave network just like the master controller, you just cannot add or delete modules from the secondary controllers.

HS does have mechanisms for creating secondary controllers. Commands to do so are under the ZWave command sections. I do not know if HS can create a secondary controller on a second ZWave stick, never tried it. I have created secondary controllers with separate hardware devices though.

Comment

I tried this a couple of weeks ago. I've had a z-troller for years. I replaced it with the smart stick plus. After a few days to be sure everything was stable I thought I would add the z-troller back in as a secondary controller, mainly to use its remote capability to add new nodes.

I bothched something up and lost the whole network. Luckily I had a backup, but I still had to got through the machinations of multiple optimizations.

I don't know what I did wrong and have not had the motivation or courage to try again. I think it had something to do with the z-troller not being cleared out. Couldn't figure out how to do that.

Regards
                      Michael
                      Regards,
                      Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

Here running 4 znets on one home ID. HS has options to keep all 4 synchronized. If you add a node it will update the other three znets. You can optimize which controller will control each node. Redundant so that if a znet goes out, the others know what to do. Was very easy to setup.
                        Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
                        | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
                        Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
                        BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

So you don't give each Z-NET it's own HomeID but all of get the same ID. I don't see how that's done but then I only have a single one at this time.
                          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                          Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                          3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                          4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                          3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                          SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

When you add the second one you then select it to be a secondary controller, new menu option appear. I set this up right out of the box, no nodes enrolled yet.
                            Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
                            | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
                            Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
                            BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

One thing I regret about how I set up the two z-nets, I wish I had kept them synced rather than two different networks. Anyone know if there is a way to combine the two networks? Thinking it won’t work due to the node numbering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                              Plugin's:
                              BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                              EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                              weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
                              X