UltraCID: Modem won't connect after Windows 10 Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UltraCID: Modem won't connect after Windows 10 Upgrade

The weekend before last, I upgraded my HS3 system to Windows 10 x64 from Windows 8.1 x64. UltraCID was working fine before the upgrade, and every HS3 function and plugin works except UltraCID. It could no longer attach to the USR modem I used for Caller ID detection.

I've uninstalled the modem drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled UltraCID, unplugged and re-attached the USB modem and hear USB drop and reconnect sounds. I can see the modem leave and come back in Device Manager, but no luck getting UltraCID to "reconnect" in the device panel of HS3.

I even tried a different, identical modem I have. The modem does responds to AT commands like going off hook and back on, so it seems Windows 10 sees it OK.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem after a Windows 10 upgrade and found a solution? I'm running the latest UltraCID version available through the plug-in manager both before and after the Windows upgrade.

I have experienced similar joy with my Windows 10 computer (Intel NUC) and every USB modem I own. I found you have to unplug the USB modem and plug it back in. Windows 10 then finds the modem. Unfortunately, I have to do this every time I reboot my computer.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Well, actually, I've done that somewhere north of 40 times now, trying to get it to work, including reboots with the modem unplugged, unplugging and reconnecting both before and after HS3 and UltraCID were running, and in different USB ports, and with two different modems both of which work under Win10 with other modem SW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

I am also a bit frustrated with Windows 10 and USB modems. Have you made any progress getting your modem to be recognized?

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Oh fer crying out loud... Modem moved to COM3

Thanks for reminding me to write back so others may be helped. Despite my USB devices being connected to the same ports throughout the Windows 10 upgrade, the modem was moved to a new COM port.

Driving home from my IT job, I was thinking, "Why would Windows see the modem and everything works, but not UltraCID?" And then I answered myself, "Because they're not looking in the same place."

When I got home, I went to the UltraCID settings and remembered that in HS3, most plugins have to be manually assigned to the USB device COM port. They don't just find it like printer drivers, keyboards, scanners, and mice that I work with every day.

Looked up the COM port used by the modem in Device Manager, changed it in UltraCID settings, and voila! See, talking to yourself isn't always a bad thing, right? Yes, I agree with what he said.

Edit: If you're reading this and need to find the modem's COM port:
          - go to Device Manager
          - expand Modems
          - right click on the modem and select Properties
          - go to the Advanced Tab
          - click "Advanced Port Settings" button

The COM port in use by the modem will appear near the bottom of that screen.
          Last edited by dzee; July 30, 2016, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X