www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer International Forums and User Groups > International Forums & All User Groups > US User Groups > Southeast Michigan User Group (SMUG)

Southeast Michigan User Group (SMUG) If you are a HomeSeer user in the southeast portion of the state of Michigan, this forum is for you.

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Seer Master

Electronics supply in SE MI?

I've been looking for a place in SE Michigan to pick up some capacitors, T0-92 type voltage regulator, bread board, jumpers ect... There don't seem to be any pure electronic parts suppliers anymore. I looked at RS Electronics website and can find most of it, but none of it is here in stock; it must be ordered. Radioshack has some basics, but not enough to get my project working. The places I've called asking where to look pointed me back to the internet.

Anybody know of one here in SE Michigan, or is it off to the internet and wait a few days to get the package?

Paul
Old October 13th, 2011, 03:28 PM
OverSeer

Try Digikey.com
They'll cater to the hobbyist and have an extensive selection.
Internet I'm afraid.
Old October 13th, 2011, 05:46 PM
OverSeer

I'm in lower Michigan just N of Elkhart IN. Digikey is your best bet. I buy from them all the time; no problem. The parts get here in 3 days. They have a better selection and will sell in small quantities. Worth the wait!

Steve Q
Old October 13th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Seer Master

Thanks guys, that's what I'll do.

Originally I thought I would stop by a place and "consult" at a store a little since its been a while since I have started projects like this.

But I know what I need and go ahead and order online.
Old October 13th, 2011, 05:58 PM
OverSeer

Sparkfun.com has breadboards and jumpers. They shipped very quickly when I ordered...

HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi2 (Raspbian)
64 Z-Wave Nodes, 162 Events, 293 Devices
UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Seer Master

Thanks Rob. I originally found the rovingnetworks module and docs at SF, but they were out of stock. SF has an array of bare circuit boards that support XBee which the RN model is compatible with. SF has a decent forum which is really the trick for this sort of thing. I have asked RN to do the same but haven't gotten anywhere with that yet.
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Seer Master

Digikey it is. Pretty good interface. Ironically, the more simple the item, the longer to takes to pick through and select. The breadboard, battery snap and powersupply parts were less than $5. Since shipping was that much again, I got a motion sensor, humidity and temp sensors, around $5 each. We'll see how successful I am at getting them to work. The humidity sensor is the biggest unknown (for me) as it is capacitive. I wanted one each of digital and analog outputs to try out those input types on the wifly.

If it all survives, sparkfun will be the place to get the final board to park it all on.

One more question, Can I use individual leads from cat5 as bread boarding leads?
Old October 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbibm View Post
One more question, Can I use individual leads from cat5 as bread boarding leads?
Yes, I use CAT5 individual wires whenever I need a piece of wire for a breadboard, etc. I also use t-stat wire when I need something a little bigger.

Steve Q
Old October 14th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Seer Master

Software

Thanks. And that reminded me that I have a couple foot piece of spinkler cable left over. I think there are 15 strands in there!! it should work good as well.
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM
OverSeer

Here in the Chicago area; I found an electronic supply house (years ago in the 2000's) which was a supplier for Honeywell (legacy wife worked for Honeywell). It was in NW Indiana (think it was Miner Electronics).

It was a walk up to the counter wholesale store for electricians; they did have caps etc.

Only recall was the wait at the counter for the parts versus just picking them off a shelf or drawer on a shelf. In the city of Chicago there's a place called Science and Surplus that would literally have a gold mine of electronic parts.

Radio shack would have parts drawers with many caps etc; but it seems like they have gone to all ordering and waiting for the parts even at the stores now.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.4449

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Seer Master

Yeh. one of our radio shacks has a case full of resistors, LEDs and basic parts, I tend to go there for that stuff when I have forgotten something. My side project is a wifly board that has been on hold while I complete some x10 to insteon work

Digikey worked out really good, but I miss having somewhere to go

Paul
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:30 PM
OverSeer

I did like the walk in browse thru parts drawers for parts methodology; miss it.

In the old house I did set up a "do all" room with workbench and parts shelves and drawers; kind of miss that today (still have the pieces for the work room around). Literally almost a 100 little baby food jars hung underneath the shelfs; etc.

Today building the Foxconn either on the Kitchen table (bad WAF), garage countertop (which is more of a utility type counter top) or the basement workbench roll about high chair which my wife bought me for Christmas a few years ago.

I did note that Jim DooLittle's basement work area was an electronic "doo all" area with HA parts bins, server pieces, HA tacked to the wall board (either experimental or in use) hanging MR26A's on the ceiling, etc. His wife mentioned he would venture off quietly to his world of HA; sometimes for hours...
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Today building the Foxconn either on the Kitchen table (bad WAF),.
Pete
I literally "laughed out loud" when I read this. That's me... Comments from my most recent server build.... "How long is this going to be here"... I completely empathize

For many of us, these HA things are all microcosms of what we do at work...lots of little pieces leading up to a whole... which they don't get... thank God there is no take your wife to work day!!!

Paul
Old November 27th, 2011, 03:33 PM
OverSeer

Yup; pre-empted always by the next meal; as we have this old traditon (passed on) that all meals and eating occur either on the kitchen table or dining room table.

I used to use the "its part of furnace" story...but it doesn't work anymore...I would do the "take the wife" to lunch days about once a week...a couple of years ago...

Heck it takes me 10 minutes to set up the soldering station.

The light over the kitchen table is good though for these old eyes now.