Dumb Zwave question, how to remote add a node without z-tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Zwave question, how to remote add a node without z-tool

Hi, so i am having a mental blank, probably caused by small child induced lack of sleep but i have a WD Zwave usb stick that does not support adding nodes without being plugged in.

with HS2 i used to run Z-Tool on my laptop then add the light switch or whatever then resync on the server.

how are people doing this?

thanks
    Raptor
    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Hi Raptor,

Would z-tool not still work? From what I recall, it adds it to the stick and then you would do an import. Don't see why that would not work under HS3. It's been a while since I used it as I switched to a z-troller about 3 years ago.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
      Hi, so i am having a mental blank, probably caused by small child induced lack of sleep but i have a WD Zwave usb stick that does not support adding nodes without being plugged in.

with HS2 i used to run Z-Tool on my laptop then add the light switch or whatever then resync on the server.

how are people doing this?

thanks
      Raptor
      I have a retired laptop with Windows 7 that I use just for this. Alternatively, you can plug modules in close to the Homeseer box.

Comment

Thanks, i ended up using ZTool, but i got the feeling this was not the correct way to do this.

as for moving the device closer. that would be a pain for in wall switches.

raptor
        HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
        53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
        https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
          Thanks, i ended up using ZTool, but i got the feeling this was not the correct way to do this.
          That method is fine. All you need to do is get the device's unique ID loaded into the Z-Wave controller, which is all a Z-Troller does when you add a node while it is used remotely. Then when connected, either Z-Troller or USB Stick, HS "Rescan" queries the device by ID and creates the device and child nodes if needed. Then optimizing builds the routing tables. Using Z-Tool to add the node to the controller is functionally the same as adding it while the USB stick is connected to the server. The Aeotec Z-Stick is self-powered and can remotely capture the device ID while disconnected.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
          X