Range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Range?

I've looked in user guide, as well as in the forum, but haven't across any information about the range of this device?

I want to use a couple of these to monitor motion in my basement/garage, and I'm trying to figure out best orientation to get the largest zone of coverage.

Is there any information about coverage zone/range?

I have two of these. Running on adapters. The range is terrible. I have one sitting on a table at the end of my narrow hallway. Sensitivity is set to 8, the max. I have to come to around 7 feet to get it to report motion. I have tried resetting it, tried using the included battery. There is no obstruction in view of the sensor. i tried both and the other one gets consistent around 8 feet away. My hallway is about 25 feet in length and I was planning on it turning on the lights in the hallway when my young son gets up to go to the bathroom at night. Unless someone from HS has an idea what the issue is, I wouldn’t ever by these again.

I have a lot of HS stuff and this is the first thing that doesn’t work.

-Nacman

Comment

Originally posted by Nacman View Post
      I have two of these. Running on adapters. The range is terrible. I have one sitting on a table at the end of my narrow hallway. Sensitivity is set to 8, the max. I have to come to around 7 feet to get it to report motion. I have tried resetting it, tried using the included battery. There is no obstruction in view of the sensor. i tried both and the other one gets consistent around 8 feet away. My hallway is about 25 feet in length and I was planning on it turning on the lights in the hallway when my young son gets up to go to the bathroom at night. Unless someone from HS has an idea what the issue is, I wouldn’t ever by these again.

I have a lot of HS stuff and this is the first thing that doesn’t work.

-Nacman
      With this type of motion detector the range is short if your walking toward or away from the detector. Best is to pass "across" the detector. You might address your problem with a ceiling mount(several along the hall) or specifically for your son if you have it right outside his door(ceiling or wall mount). Even passing "across" a detector at 25 feet is a stretch for this kind of sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post

for your son, have it right outside his door(ceiling or wall mount). Even passing "across" a detector at 25 feet is a stretch for this kind of sensor.
        Agreed, side motion, ie perpendicular to the sensor causes most sensors to trip easier, and giving a little more range than trying to trip coming at it. Truly at 9 feet, I can walk laterally from wall to wall and no trip. I could, as you suggest, go all battery, and place it above his door, which will also catch our, and it should work. I was trying to not do the battery dance but we will see. Good suggestion.

Comment

Working...
        X