X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infocast 8" Debian Lenny Install

This morning giving this a try.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=6411

So far I'm up to configuring the video; so far all ok and plugnplay.

Its a very nice short concise tutorial on the installation.

Installed XFCE4 and VNCServer. Both working fine. Now to connect a mouse and keyboard. Its slow as expected.
    Last edited by Pete; April 26, 2011, 11:48 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Works; except for the touchscreen as documented on the Chumby forum.

Next connecting the small Lenova wireless keyboard and see if that works on the Chumby.

Works but very slow.
    Last edited by Pete; April 26, 2011, 05:43 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Installed Webmin just to see if I could. Works. Very slow. I'm trying to break it.

Next Mono.
      Attached Files
      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have Mono installed but having a hard time starting HSTouch. I'm seeing the same issues that I saw the first time I tried this in Linux with an error relating to MS Visual basic. It seems though for sure relating to the configuration paths rather than the installation of Mono. Testing simple mono asp / asp2 gives me errors.

Stuck here right now. Removed both Mono / SDL and reinstalled it a couple of times. Not sure about the error anymore; it runs faster now (cache appears to adjusted itself) both on the chumby and in a VNC session.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; April 28, 2011, 08:22 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I am not sure but whatever I try I cannot get Mono to install correctly; not sure why. Giving it a break for a bit and will try another build.

None the less when I have XFCE4 running it's pretty slow.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

Did you ever get time to finish up the install document for the Dockstar? i've got one sitting waiting to give it an install.

I was going to hook up one of the screens you mailed me, to try to simulate what you did...kind of make a "mini" HSTouch machine. I have a USB to VGA device that I'm going to use instead of the mimo screen you used. I'm hoping it'll run a bit faster than you said yours did.

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Hello Dan,

I do and it does run faster than the Chumby. I couldn't get Adobe flash to run on it but I read somewhere that there is a new Adobe Flash 10.2 written for the Arm Processor.

Its a 4 piece document and gets a bit involved. Just follow the step by step. Once you have the base installed then the rest is easy. Will email docs to you.

I was able to fit everything on a 4Gb USB drive. The test to check your USB memory drive is to have it reboot into the OS. I noticed some differences relating to the recognition of the USB drive and the time to boot. Some USB drives will not boot. You then just SSH to the device and manually reboot it.

I've turned one Dockstar into a Temp08/05 serial to USB XAP device. Tested a "beta" Linux/Mono Xap interface which works well. With this you can build a stand alone 1-wire weather station and use XAP to send the data over to Homeseer.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I'm in danger of talking about stuff I know nothing about (what changes) but those errors I think you are seeing are about dependencies (or lack of) I just downloaded the mono visual basic packages (tried a few combinations, theres stuff like common form controls, c# packages, data collections all sorts really) and it eventually worked fine. Not sure if you have a package manager (as I had in ubuntu) in that install or is everything by download and command line? I don't think the stock mono download has all the packages so you have to add the ones you need...

Comment

Adam,

For whatever reason the Chumby keeps downloading all of the 1.92 Mono stuff. I delete it and try to install the 2.67 mono stuff and it keeps going back.

What do you have as a source for the APT installs for the Mono?

Here is my sources list:

deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib
                  deb-src http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib
                  deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib
                  deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib
                  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
                  deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
                  deb http://download.webmin.com/download/repository sarge contrib
                  deb http://webmin.mirror.somersettechsol....uk/repository sarge contrib
                  deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports lenny-backports main
                  deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib
                  deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib
                  ICS-Chumby-3:/# apt-get install mono-complete
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                  requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                  distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                  or been moved out of Incoming.
                  The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                  mono-complete: Depends: mono-devel (= 2.6.7-4~bpo50+2) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: mono-gmcs (= 2.6.7-4~bpo50+2) but 1.9.1+dfsg-6 is to be installed
                  Depends: mono-csharp-shell (= 2.6.7-4~bpo50+2) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: mono-2.0-devel (= 2.6.7-4~bpo50+2) but 1.9.1+dfsg-6 is to be installed
                  E: Broken packages
                  ICS-Chumby-3:/#
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Found a complete install of Mono. Its take about an hour (still installing it).

wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/nathanb/iws-snipp...ll_mono-2.8.sh

chmod 755 install_mono-2.8.sh
                    ./install_mono-2.8.sh
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

Thanks for the Documentation! Wow!

I've not gone through them in detail, but will I need the above link for mono?

--Dan
                      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

It looks like these are the ones I have installed;

libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil install
                        libmono-i18n-west1.0-cil install
                        mono-2.0-gac install
                        libmono-getoptions2.0-cil install
                        libmono-posix1.0-cil install
                        libmono2.0-cil install
                        libmono-microsoft7.0-cil install
                        libmono-security1.0-cil install
                        libmono-data-tds2.0-cil install
                        libmono0 install
                        libmono-system-data2.0-cil install
                        libmono-system-web1.0-cil install
                        mono-xsp2-base install
                        libmono-peapi2.0-cil install
                        libmono-corlib1.0-cil install
                        libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil install
                        libmono-ldap1.0-cil install
                        libsqlite3-0 install
                        libmono-cairo2.0-cil install
                        libmono-messaging2.0-cil install
                        libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil install
                        libmono-addins0.2-cil install
                        libmono-system-messaging2.0-cil install
                        libmono-posix2.0-cil install
                        libmono-winforms2.0-cil install
                        libmono-system1.0-cil install
                        mono-basic-dbg install
                        libmono-microsoft8.0-cil install
                        libmono-security2.0-cil install
                        libmono-webbrowser0.5-cil install
                        mono-gac install
                        libmono1.0-cil install
                        libmono-data-tds1.0-cil install
                        libmono-sqlite2.0-cil install
                        libmono-system-data1.0-cil install
                        net-tools install
                        libmono-system-web2.0-cil install
                        libmono-system-ldap1.0-cil install
                        libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil install
                        libmono-corlib2.0-cil install
                        libmono-cecil-private-cil install
                        mono-csharp-shell install
                        libmono-dev install
                        libmono-data2.0-cil install
                        mono-runtime install
                        libmono-accessibility2.0-cil install
                        mono-vbnc install
                        libmono-system-runtime1.0-cil install
                        libmono-relaxng1.0-cil install
                        mono-devel install
                        libmono-management2.0-cil install
                        mono-2.0-devel install
                        libmono-wcf3.0-cil install
                        libmono-system2.0-cil install
                        mono-gmcs install
                        These are the only ones that look like they are mono related, I installed them in a fit of frustration that HSTouch was not working so you probably don't need all of them but the ones needed exactly i'm not sure...

the visual basic stuff I think is inside the libmono-microsoft8.0-cil package, i'm on mono 2.4.2.3 and HSTouch seems to work fine...

Comment

Thanks Adam for the encouragement/list. I gave up for a while in frustration. I also installed the Chumby 8 firmware on the Infocast 8 yesterday. It has some more bells and whistles and a newer version of Adobe flash on it and now a built in browser (that's actually a bit faster than the "browser mode" . The Infocast with the Chumby 8 firmware is also a bit faster.

The script I posted above ran for about 2 hours last night. It looked promising but didn't install Mono. It's using the newest from Novell in a "build" from scratch setup for Mono 2.8.2.

I'll try deleting what's on there and try again from your list. What is nice is the memory stick / links take over and the OS for the Chumby runs entirely from the memory stick.

Dan,

What's in the document works for the Dockstar. It's minimal and I did do the Dockstar setup more than probably 5-6 times from scratch and kept tweaking the links a clean setup. You don't have to install Webmin on the Dockstar; but its a nice way to have another method to get to the Dockstar setup. (so you can basically utilize a command line, Webmin and a basic X windows setup). You'll have to "build" an xorg configuration for your monitor setup; but that's a non issue. You can still build the setup and use a VNC X windows setup to test the HSTouch part without a monitor plugged in.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but thanks Pete, I read it through while I had some time. Really detailed!

I remembered most of that when we had just started hacking them. I still have my one setup as a NAS for backups. Thanks again!

--Dan

Comment

Adam,

It seems like my sources list (for Aptitude) is to a point where when I try to install specific stuff it tells me my packages are "broken". So I started all over again with a new sources list, update and upgrade. The upgrade ran for a few hours.

Will try again today on a base; see how that works with the "upgrades" that were installed for a new repository.

Dan,

I have left only two Dockstar's "online"; both are similiar (with a base Mono installation) but running different applications. One is running the HSTouch stuff and the other is running a Temp0X XAP application via a serial Temp08 (a "miniature" weather station thing). Still running "FreeNas" here; but building a new NAS (RAID5) with 2TB drives in it; as the prices now are similiar to the 1TB drives from only a year ago.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X