Installed plugin yesterday, had to restart this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed plugin yesterday, had to restart this morning

Installed my Nest thermostat yesterday, along with the plug-in. Set up and tested my events to set the mode and target temps. All worked fine. Evening event fired correctly. The morning heat-on (set high temp) did not work.

When I checked the log, there were no error messages, but I could not change anything from the device management page. Stopped and restarted plug-in and all is well again.

I want to do all the scheduling myself, but have left the thermostat in learning mode for now. Should I disable it or any of the other device settings?

Also, should I turn on debug logging or is there a "heart-beat" event that I could use to see if I need to do a restart?

Thanks,
    Barry

Panicked - restart of HS3 seems to have solved all the problems.

Barry

Comment

unrelated to your problem, but i've found that it works best in my environment to keep all of the scheduling done on nest itself for a variety of reasons. If you don't like the auto set points and pre-heating times, etc., you can disable all that and set static schedules through the nest website.

I found that if I had HS3 controlling all of my setpoints and changes if there is any interuption in the connection between HS3 and the nest cloud service these will be missed and they don't pickup once connectivity is restored. I came home to a cold house a couple of times because of this.

When you use the nest website to set the schedule (either statically or through auto learning), that is pushed down to the local thermostat and will continue to operate in the absence of internet connectivity, or if nest cloud service is down.

So the best setup i've found is to use the nest system for all schedules, use the HS3 plugin to detect system state and other "awareness" functions for events that you want to co-exist with your HVAC, and let HS3 set home and away status in the nest based on HS3 occupancy logic, but keep basic heating/cooling set-points and schedule functions within the nest itself.

Of course everyone has their own opinion, but this has worked the best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ORNVM View Post
        unrelated to your problem, but i've found that it works best in my environment to keep all of the scheduling done on nest itself for a variety of reasons. If you don't like the auto set points and pre-heating times, etc., you can disable all that and set static schedules through the nest website.

I found that if I had HS3 controlling all of my setpoints and changes if there is any interuption in the connection between HS3 and the nest cloud service these will be missed and they don't pickup once connectivity is restored. I came home to a cold house a couple of times because of this.

When you use the nest website to set the schedule (either statically or through auto learning), that is pushed down to the local thermostat and will continue to operate in the absence of internet connectivity, or if nest cloud service is down.

So the best setup i've found is to use the nest system for all schedules, use the HS3 plugin to detect system state and other "awareness" functions for events that you want to co-exist with your HVAC, and let HS3 set home and away status in the nest based on HS3 occupancy logic, but keep basic heating/cooling set-points and schedule functions within the nest itself.

Of course everyone has their own opinion, but this has worked the best for me.
        Thanks! Useful info. Still very new to the Nest and I really appreciate your advice.
        Barry

Comment

Working...
        X