Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a virtual Harmony Hub device control a real device or activity in HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a virtual Harmony Hub device control a real device or activity in HS?

Just installed the Harmony Hub plugin with a new Harmony Home Control Hub and handheld remote. So far I like it and Harmony tech support has been helpful.

The hub has the ability to control certain home automation devices directly and from the handheld which has several buttons reserved to control lights, etc.

Since the plugin creates devices in HS based on devices created in the Harmony Hub is there a way to create a virtual or dummy device in the Harmony app (for say a light that physically doesn't exist) and have that brought into the plugin to be used by HS to actually control a real zwave or upb light/switch?

I would like to be able to push one of the buttons on the Harmony handheld device for a virtual light and have that status trigger a scene activity in HS to control actual lights. Is this possible?

Anyone using the harmony remote 6 automation buttons to control devices in Homeseer? Is it possible?

Comment

I'd be interested if you got that one working x)

Comment

Nope, I thought someone or Rien might have some ideas but no one has posted.

I think there is a lot of untapped potential in Harmony handheld remote & the Homeseer Harmony plugin.

Comment

Couldn't find the time (yet)
          Regards,

Rien du Pre
          The Netherlands
          Using:
          Homeseer PRO latest HS4 BETA on a Raspberry
          Plugin's:
          RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by rayvino View Post
            Just installed the Harmony Hub plugin with a new Harmony Home Control Hub and handheld remote. So far I like it and Harmony tech support has been helpful.

The hub has the ability to control certain home automation devices directly and from the handheld which has several buttons reserved to control lights, etc.

Since the plugin creates devices in HS based on devices created in the Harmony Hub is there a way to create a virtual or dummy device in the Harmony app (for say a light that physically doesn't exist) and have that brought into the plugin to be used by HS to actually control a real zwave or upb light/switch?

I would like to be able to push one of the buttons on the Harmony handheld device for a virtual light and have that status trigger a scene activity in HS to control actual lights. Is this possible?
            I don't understand exactly what you mean here

How do you do this? How does the hub control home automation devices directly? Can you give an example ?

The plugin does not create (HS) devices for the Hub devices, only for the activities. So can you explain this too ?

I'll be more than happy to explore new ideas, because I think it's a great devices (I have 3 of them), but I need more information to help you guys.

Thanks.
            Regards,

Rien du Pre
            The Netherlands
            Using:
            Plugin's:
            RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

Rien, Sorry if I was not clear. Let me try again.

I have a harmony home control hub which comes with a handheld remote, this works fine. There are 2 buttons on the remote to control lights & 2 buttons to control outlets.

I understand these are for harmony partner products, Lutron & Philips.

I was wondering if the action of pushing these buttons could be captured by the plugin and used by an HS activity/event to control a Virtual homeseer device which could then be used to turn on either my UPB lights/zwave modules etc.

I,m assuming a distinct signal is generated for each button. Since using the harmony remote is just faster than using the app, it would be great to also use it to control the living room lights/fan or a movie scene.

Comment

Ah the HOME version :-)

This one is not available in Europe (yet) I googled the picture and I see the extra buttons.

The problem is, that I cannot test this here in my setup. Logitech promised to upgrade the firmware of the 'old' to support the HOME features. As soon as I have this firmware or the HOME version is available over here, I will investigate deeper.
                Regards,

Rien du Pre
                The Netherlands
                Using:
                Plugin's:
                RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

Hi Rien,

Is there an update on this ? Is it possible to control e.g. PlugWise lights by using the dedicated light hardbuttons on the Harmony Elite ?

Comment

Hi,

I have an update and unfortunately it's not possible to use the partner products, simply because I don't know how to do this.

They promised me to give me acces to the API, but after 2 years of asking I give up on this.

Last answer I got last week is that it would take another couple of months to streamline the process. Meaning it will never come...

This behavior is common by many suppliers unfortunately, I'll guess we'll have to life with it
                    Regards,

Rien du Pre
                    The Netherlands
                    Using:
                    Plugin's:
                    RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

I just got a Harmony Elite with home hub extender. After reading this thread can I confirm that the plugin will work with it, but it will not support the extra buttons such as the light buttons?

Also, is there any way for the plugin to communicate with the home hub extender? I am specifically interested in adding zigbee devices and then having them communicate to homeseer through the Logitech hub. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                        I just got a Harmony Elite with home hub extender. After reading this thread can I confirm that the plugin will work with it, but it will not support the extra buttons such as the light buttons?
                        Correct!!

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                        Also, is there any way for the plugin to communicate with the home hub extender? I am specifically interested in adding zigbee devices and then having them communicate to homeseer through the Logitech hub. Thanks.
                        Not at the moment. As soon as I know a way to do it, it will be supported
                        by the plugin.
                        Regards,

Rien du Pre
                        The Netherlands
                        Using:
                        Plugin's:
                        RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

Thanks. I look forward to an update on this. It would make the plugin very useful for me (and others).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Since the Harmony Hub appears to speak native to the respective protocol, in addtion to the API, I inquired with Mark if his Insteon plug-in can directly read the signals from those "home automation" buttons on the harmony remote. If using an insteon hub for example. If anyone has a Harmony Hub and an Insteon Hub could you try to push those buttons and send him the requested log files. The post is here http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180269

Thanks

Comment

I have been controlling my Vera hub's lights via harmony since the original echo ha bridge came out a year ago.

Now that I am running HomeSeer, nothing has changed, it works great.

HomeSeer>>HA Bridge>>Harmony

(Added as a HUE Device. When it asks you to press the button on the bridge, just wait.)

Here is a plugin Thrag made to make setting up HA Bridge a breeze. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1213711

Comment

Working...
                              X