Raspbian Stretch-something to watch out for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspbian Stretch-something to watch out for

Just carried out a fresh install of Raspbian Stretch today. It might be worth noting that the developers have pulled SQL Lite and replaced it with MariaDB.

HS3 plugin developers should be aware of this if they are using SQL Lite in any of their plugins. I'm not too sure what effect this will have on any current plugins but I think I am having difficulty with one I'm using. Don't want to name it untill I'm absolutely sure.

Has anyone else taken a leap and installed Raspbian Stretch yet.

Thinking the developers transition period is still been a bit slow relating to the migration from Windows (Access DBs) to using SQL Lite DBs (Homeseer 2 to Homeseer 3) for the long time Homeseer developers.

I have not tried the new Raspbian Stretch build yet. I have noticed though that my opensource servers / software like Zoneminder, Kodi, MythTV boxes are gravitating towards using MariaDB after years of using mySQL. Noticed that the option of MariaDB has been there for the Ubuntu 16.XX LAMP server builds.

I always assumed that SQL Lite was a bit thinner than mySQL and that was why it was used for the Wheezy and Jessie Raspbian RPI builds.

A note here though relating to MariaDB from the Wiki.

MariaDB is a community-developed fork of the MySQL relational database management system intended to remain free under the GNU GPL. Development is led by some of the original developers of MySQL, who forked it due to concerns over its acquisition by Oracle Corporation. Contributors are required to share their copyright with the MariaDB Foundation.

MariaDB intends to maintain high compatibility with MySQL, ensuring a drop-in replacement capability with library binary equivalency and exact matching with MySQL APIs and commands. It includes the XtraDB storage engine for replacing InnoDB, as well as a new storage engine, Aria, that intends to be both a transactional and non-transactional engine perhaps even included in future versions of MySQL.

Its lead developer is Michael "Monty" Widenius, one of the founders of MySQL AB and the founder of Monty Program AB. On 16 January 2008, MySQL AB announced that it had agreed to be acquired by Sun Microsystems for approximately $1 billion. The acquisition completed on 26 February 2008. MariaDB is named after Monty's younger daughter Maria, similar to how MySQL is named after his other daughter My.

I have repurposed my RPi's these days and might give one a try using Raspbian Stretch.

IE: my ZWave slave machine started with Wheezy, then went to Jessie, the back to Wheezy. It is just hardware with a remote serial connection to the GPIO Z-Wave card and a 1-wire network using a 9097 Maxim USB device.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm running a basic set up on Debian Stretch with no issues, running in a VM rather than on a Pi. No plugins to speak of yet though.
      Separately I'm finding lots of small differences between Jessie and Stretch (both on Raspbian and Jessie) that break established set ups; it's early days for upgrading or migrating and anyone considering this should take an image first and allow lots of time

Comment

I built a znet compatible image without much issue. There are some changes to the network configuration file (/etc/network/interfaces) which simplify it, but could possibly introduce issues if the older files were used unchanged.

Comment

I gave Raspbian Stretch a run over a couple of days with HS .368. Slowly started to notice errors appearing randomly and HS performance deteriorating. X10 stopped working for no apparent reason too and it needed a system reboot to restart.

I reverted to Jessie for the moment until the current release of HS has stabilised and i will try again at some stage.

Comment

Working...
          X