How To Use RFXtrx433E On LAN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Use RFXtrx433E On LAN?

I understand there is a way to connect the RFXtrx433E to a Raspberry Pi and then connect to the Pi over the LAN? Is there a description of this? Can it then be used by the RFXCOM Plug-in or BLRF? Also does the RFXCOM Plug-in support multiple LAN connected RFXtrx433E?

I have Qty 10 - 10 Channel Oregon Scientific temperature sensors all over and the one RFXrec433 that I have today does not seem to cover it all. So I was hoping to have more than one receiver but wanted to make sure that would be supported.

Also saw a 433MHz 3dBi antenna with 1.5m cable, SMA male on the RFXCOM website. Would that in my attic on the my existing RFXrec433 maybe be a better idea?

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

Install ser2net on the RPI.
    Code:
    Disable Serial Console (if configured)
    ======================
    sudo nano /etc/inittab
    insert a # sign in front of this line:
    T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100
    ctrl-O
    Enter
    ctrl-x 

Remove console (if configured)
    ==============
    sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
    delete these 2 fields:  console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200
    ctrl-O
    Enter
    ctrl-x 

Add ser2net
    ===========
    sudo apt-get install ser2net

sudo nano /etc/ser2net.conf
    10001:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:38400 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT
    10002:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB1:38400 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT

sudo /etc/init.d/ser2net restart

Autostart ser2net
    =================
    sudo nano /etc/rc.local

add the next line before exit o :
    /usr/local/sbin/ser2net -n
    The RFXCOM HS3 plugin supports:
    up to 6 RFXtrx/RFXrec devices in any mix and USB or LAN
    and up to 6 old RFXCOM receivers or W800RF32 in any mix and USB or LAN
    and up to 4 old RFXCOM transmitters

BLRF can't use the RFXtrx. The +3dBi antenna improves the range a little bit. For the best results install this antenna on a metal plate of about 30cm. If you install the antenna in the attic install it upside down. You can buy this antenna also on ebay or aliexpress for a few dollar. Search for 3dBi magnetic antenna.

Comment

You are awesome!!!! Thank you!!!!
      Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
      jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Can ser2net be setup on a Z-Net? Anyone using this with the Z-Net OS?

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          Can ser2net be setup on a Z-Net? Anyone using this with the Z-Net OS?

Robert
          yep. works well as the z-net OS is linux / raspberrypi os, specifically "Debian GNU/Linux". Bert's instructions are direct from the vendor.

This is my ser2net config:
          Code:
          #rfxcom
          10001:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:38400 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT
          Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
          Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
          Number of Devices: 633
          Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.54.0: BLBackup
          2.0.40.0: BLLAN
          3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
          30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
          3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
          3.0.0.87: weatherXML
          3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

So I'm trying to set this up on my second Z-Net and it appears to just sit here....

homeseer@PoolShedZ-Net /etc $ sudo apt-get install ser2net
            [sudo] password for homeseer:
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree
            Reading state information... Done
            The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
            libaudit0 liblightdm-gobject-1-0 libpciaccess0 libxkbfile1 libxklavier16
            lightdm-gtk-greeter x11-xkb-utils
            Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
            Suggested packages:
            telnet
            The following NEW packages will be installed:
            ser2net
            0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 19 not upgraded.
            Need to get 0 B/41.2 kB of archives.
            After this operation, 128 kB of additional disk space will be used.
            Selecting previously unselected package ser2net.
            (Reading database ... 68549 files and directories currently installed.)
            Unpacking ser2net (from .../ser2net_2.6-1_armhf.deb) ...
            Processing triggers for man-db ... <------

Is this just the man pages? How long should this take? I don't expect too long. It's been at this for about 45 minutes.
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
              So I'm trying to set this up on my second Z-Net and it appears to just sit here....

homeseer@PoolShedZ-Net /etc $ sudo apt-get install ser2net
              [sudo] password for homeseer:
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
              libaudit0 liblightdm-gobject-1-0 libpciaccess0 libxkbfile1 libxklavier16
              lightdm-gtk-greeter x11-xkb-utils
              Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
              Suggested packages:
              telnet
              The following NEW packages will be installed:
              ser2net
              0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 19 not upgraded.
              Need to get 0 B/41.2 kB of archives.
              After this operation, 128 kB of additional disk space will be used.
              Selecting previously unselected package ser2net.
              (Reading database ... 68549 files and directories currently installed.)
              Unpacking ser2net (from .../ser2net_2.6-1_armhf.deb) ...
              Processing triggers for man-db ... <------

Is this just the man pages? How long should this take? I don't expect too long. It's been at this for about 45 minutes.
              interesting. I would kill the process (control-c) and retry the command. I hate to suggest a reboot if that doesn't work.
              Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
              Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
              Number of Devices: 633
              Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.54.0: BLBackup
              2.0.40.0: BLLAN
              3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
              30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
              3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
              3.0.0.87: weatherXML
              3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Yeah, I put it in the background because control-c didn't work. Even retried by putting the process back in the foreground and no go. I did end up rebooting and it seemed fine. It looks like ser2net restarted without issue.

Comment

When I try to connect to my new rfxcom transciever. I get the following trying to add a receiver:
                  Aug-07 11:06:19 AM RFXCOM 41 (Reconnect) receiver #3 try to reconnect.
                  Aug-07 11:05:25 AM RFXCOM 41 (Reconnect) receiver #3 try to reconnect.
                  Aug-07 11:04:31 AM RFXCOM 41 (Reconnect) receiver #3 try to reconnect.
                  Aug-07 11:04:13 AM RFXCOM Error: 41 (InitReceiver) Receiver #3 Error while connecting receiver on TCP 192.168.1.58,10001
                  Aug-07 11:04:13 AM RFXCOM Error: 41 (Connect) TCP error:System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.1.58:10001 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(IPAddress[] addresses, Int32 port) at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(String host, Int32 port) at HSPI_RFXCOM.clsSockets.Connect(String sRemoteHostName, Int32 iRemotePort, Int32 comType, Int32 intDev)
                  I followed post 2 verbatim as well as this post.

... and when I tried to add a transceiver.
                  Aug-07 11:14:50 AM RFXCOM 41 (Reconnect) transceiver #1 try to reconnect.
                  Aug-07 11:13:57 AM RFXCOM 41 (Reconnect) transceiver #1 try to reconnect.
                  Aug-07 11:13:56 AM RFXCOM Error: 41 (InitTRX) error Transceiver #1 Error while connecting transceiver on TCP 192.168.1.58,10001
                  Aug-07 11:13:56 AM RFXCOM Error: 41 (Connect) TCP error:System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.1.58:10001 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(IPAddress[] addresses, Int32 port) at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(String host, Int32 port) at HSPI_RFXCOM.clsSockets.Connect(String sRemoteHostName, Int32 iRemotePort, Int32 comType, Int32 intDev)

Comment

you have to use the RFXrx/RFXrec configuration for the RFXtrx433XL transceiver.

Are you able to connect the RFXtrx over LAN with RFXmngr?

Comment

OK.. most bizzar thing ever. I modified and saved /etc/ser2net.conf

homeseer@PoolShedZ-Net ~ $ tail /etc/ser2net.conf

BANNER:banner:\r\nser2net port \p device \d [\s] (Debian GNU/Linux)\r\n\r\n

#2000:telnet:600:/dev/ttyS0:9600 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT banner
                      2001:raw:60:/dev/ttyAMA0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT -XONXOFF -RTSCTS
                      2002:raw:60:/dev/ttyUSB0:19200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT -XONXOFF -RTSCTS
                      #3000:telnet:600:/dev/ttyS0:19200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT banner
                      #3001:telnet:600:/dev/ttyS1:19200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT banner
                      #rfxcom
                      10001:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:38400 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT <---saved

and rc.local

homeseer@PoolShedZ-Net ~ $ tail /etc/rc.local

# stop led blink
                      #echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/zwled.0/iopin
                      # set LED to green
                      #echo "3" > /sys/class/gpio/export
                      #echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio3/direction
                      #echo "0" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio3/value
                      sudo /var/www/Main/monitor.sh &
                      /usr/local/sbin/ser2net -n <----- saved this as can be seen when I tail the file.
                      exit 0

However, after a reboot, they're gone.

Any ideas?

Robert

Comment

Could be a bad SD card.

Comment

I don't know... I will try again with a new sd card. Just seems so weird as I set the sytem date and time yesterday, modified the files then did a long listing and saw the updated date on the files. After a reboot this morning, my saved settings are no more.

Comment

In case anyone runs across this, I finally imaged to a new SD card and now settings persist.

Comment

Working...
                            X