Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Outlook to control thermostat?

Hey Blade or anybody who might be able to answer

I'm a shift worker which means that none of the programmable thermostats actually meet my needs since I work every hour every day at some point. I have a Z-Wave thermostat and I'm thinking this plugin might solve my problems as I could use my work schedule in Outlook (setup easily with recurring appointments) to control my thermostat.

I can enter my work schedule in Outlook in a variety of different ways... all they way from creating an "all day event" and labeling it "night shift" to making an appointment called "night shift" and actually putting the times I work in there. I've done it both ways and both work for me to look at my Outlook calendar and know what I'm working.

What I'm wondering is if I could somehow use that information to change my thermostat using this plugin? For example, if I have an all day even called "night shift" on a certain day (and maybe even give it the "night shift" category if needed) could this plugin set my thermostat at a certain value for a certain period of time? Or, if it can't do that, can I have an appointment named "night shift" that runs from 6:00pm one night to 6:30am the next morning and each time that appointment name is seen/active set back my thermostat x degrees or change it to x degrees?

Basically, I couldn't tell by the description of the plugin if it only speaks and displays info or if you could use that info as a trigger to do something else in HS.

Thanks!

Have you looked at BLGData as well. This might be more doable with it.
    It will allow you to use your Google calendar to run things when events happen
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
      Have you looked at BLGData as well. This might be more doable with it.
      It will allow you to use your Google calendar to run things when events happen
      Thanks, Blade! I just took a look at that and watched the video. It does seem like that would work. I don't currently use Google calendar but if I have to then I will

So, by you suggesting BLGData, does that mean the BLOutlook plugin will only speak and display data but cannot perform an action like changing the thermostat or making sure the lights are off if I'm at work?

I did check for a video on BLOutlook but didn't see one. I'm unable at the moment to get to your personal board to see if there is more info there because of the ddns service you are using... my work blocks all ddns redirects. UGH! Is there a way to get to your board directly without using no-ip.org?

Thanks, Blade!

Comment

Yes BLOutlook only speaks the data and stores it in the plugin

BLGData is very powerful in what it can do.
        Cheers,
        Bob
        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme-Z View Post
          Hey Blade or anybody who might be able to answer

I'm a shift worker which means that none of the programmable thermostats actually meet my needs since I work every hour every day at some point. I have a Z-Wave thermostat and I'm thinking this plugin might solve my problems as I could use my work schedule in Outlook (setup easily with recurring appointments) to control my thermostat...
          Have you checked this out?

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=150757

FWIW
          Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
            Yes BLOutlook only speaks the data and stores it in the plugin

BLGData is very powerful in what it can do.
            Gotcha. And I can definitely see how I could use BLGData for much more than just controlling my thermostat. Looks like a very useful plugin. In fact, I watched your video and several of your others on YouTube and it looks like you'll be costing me a bit of $$$ as you have so much cool stuff! LOL

Originally posted by spknapp View Post
            I had not seen that (while I've been a member here for a while I haven't really got things setup yet... kinda glad I never did so now I can just start with V3 LOL) but that does look like it would work as well. I just went from a 5 week rotation to a 4 week rotation (ugh) so it appears I'd just have to enter each day of the rotation and have it repeat every 4 weeks. Thanks for the info!
            EDIT: Also, I have an Ademco alarm so if I got the Ademco plugin it seems like it would be even easier because the script could act on the alarm being turned on/off in the AWAY mode.

Comment

Originally posted by spknapp View Post
              FYI, reading on that for a bit and got to the last page of the thread... "won't be updated for HS3". DOH! Oh well

Comment

Working...
              X