Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event not firing when PHL child device changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event not firing when PHL child device changes?

I have everything working in PHL but when I use a child device in my Events, they do not trigger (I manually forced the Event to fire, and they do)

I'm trying to use the 'PHLC Fence' device (see screenshot) to trigger events when I'm home.

I've tried both
    IF PHLocation PHLocation Aaron Home had its value set to Near

IF PHLocation PHLocation Aaron Home changes and becomes Near

thx for the help!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
    I have everything working in PHL but when I use a child device in my Events, they do not trigger (I manually forced the Event to fire, and they do)

I'm trying to use the 'PHLC Fence' device (see screenshot) to trigger events when I'm home.

I've tried both
    IF PHLocation PHLocation Aaron Home had its value set to Near

IF PHLocation PHLocation Aaron Home changes and becomes Near

thx for the help!
    Are you using the buttons in your screenshot to change the state of the fence device or waiting for it to change by itself?

The buttons are provided as a means to change the state of the device (in case it becomes out of sync) but will not trigger events.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
      Are you using the buttons in your screenshot to change the state of the fence device or waiting for it to change by itself?

The buttons are provided as a means to change the state of the device (in case it becomes out of sync) but will not trigger events.

Paul..
      Seems odd that a manual state change wouldn't trigger an Event that monitors for state changes?

Is this specific to your devices?

If yes, I encourage you to have a mode that does...
      Forcing a state change in devices is useful for testing so I'm very confused.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
        Seems odd that a manual state change wouldn't trigger an Event that monitors for state changes?

Is this specific to your devices?

If yes, I encourage you to have a mode that does...
        Forcing a state change in devices is useful for testing so I'm very confused.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
        There was a reason for doing it this way, but the exact details elude me just now.

In the next version I will change it so that it fires events and hope that it doesn't break something.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
          There was a reason for doing it this way, but the exact details elude me just now.

In the next version I will change it so that it fires events and hope that it doesn't break something.

Paul..
          It was at the request of one of the users. I do not recall whom. He wanted to be able to synchronize the devices if they came out of sync. He was having a problem with EgiGeozone occasionally not reporting crossing a fence boundary. It was not added as a means of testing events. You originally had no controls on the devices at all.

I see no problem for you to change the behavior, nor do have a problem with it remaining the way it is. It is very rare that I need to test an event by manually causing a trigger.

I do have a specific test event that I manually edit to call another event (observing the other event's conditions) so that I can test an event. This allows me to test any event, regardless of the trigger, because it emulates the trigger having occurred. This is useful for device triggers, time triggers, etc. If I have a very complicated event that requires evaluation, in addition to the event being logged, I also write a trace entry in the HS log.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

We are getting a bit off topic but... myself having very complex logic for security, occupancy, sensors, etc all intertwined being able to quickly/easily test by simply changing a device state (from anywhere: mobile/web/etc) is best... and it is how most HA systems work.

I like the way Homeseer allows for Control / Status / Both ... this is, in my mind, the best way to handle any scenario. If all plugins adhere to the methodology, eliminates any confusion/issues with outliers or one-off situations.

So if the device is set to Status, it would not send a trigger to an Event. If it is set to Control, it would.

IMO, and how I've done it... if a device gets out of sync - your event/script logic should handle that. Not changing the device use methodology.

Comment

Working...
            X