Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer with Hard Wired Security System

I am new to this so please be gentle!

We are building a new home in Australia where I want to implement a security system as well as DIY home automation. I am thinking of the following...

Stand alone hard wired security system that is professionally installed.
    Homeseer automation, but that also passively monitors the signals from the sensors on the automation system to have a single place to monitor everything as well as use them for some of the control (lights etc). Except for that, I would leave the security system as stand alone.

I have been looking on the forums and this doesnt seem so straight forward.

Specific questions..
    1. Does what I want to do make sense? Pitfalls?
    2. I plan to do this as I have been reading about the security vulnerabilities of zwave. Is this real, or just hype? has it been resolved?
    3. what would be the best way to implement the system I described above.

Thanks for your help

1. not sure maybe the alarm system get's strange readings that the resistance change when connecting another "reader".
    2. no experience
    3. i would use a arduino mega 2560 that gives about 40 inputs and is easy to use with the arduino plugin that is in the updater.
    Also a mega 2560 v3 costs about 9 Usd shipped.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Rick.
      I'd follow this thread.
      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...=178397&page=2

Comment

I recently switched from all Z-Wave to a DSC PC1864 security panel. I was using Z-Wave multi-sensors and Z-Wave door and window switches. Batteries on the multi-sensors were the primary motivation for the switch. I first went to wired PIRs connected through Arduino boards. I was immediately happier with those than the Z-Wave counterparts. Batteries were no longer an issue and I really like the binary nature of wired sensors. They show motion when there is motion and immediately go to no motion when they no longer see it. That opens up a completely different approach to motion events.

After that experiment, I decided to take the plunge and switch to a dedicated alarm with an interface to HomeSeer.

The system now:
        • DSC PC1864 panel
        • DSC PK5564 keypad and wireless interface
        • Bosch and DSC wired motion detectors
        • DSC wireless window and door sensors
        • DSC wired glassbreak detectors
        • a few wired door sensors
        • DSC wireless key fobs
        • Envisalink EVL-4 network interface.

The switch to the DSC panel gave me autonomous home security, the plug-in gives me interoperability between the DSC system and HomeSeer.

I use Spud's Envisalink plug-in to interface between the panel and HomeSeer. Each of the 64 zones is a HomeSeer device. There are also partition devices. The HomeSeer devices can all be used to trigger events, as can the partition status devices and messages received from the EVL-4. Response times are about 1 second between any device in the DSC panel and its affiliated device in HomeSeer. I can use motion, door and window detection devices to trigger HomeSeer events. I can arm/disarm and monitor the panel status. We do not have a land line telephone any more. Envisalink offers free online access to the panel and modestly priced monitoring over IP.

Using motion controlled lighting as one example, the response of the system is easily as fast as it was with Aeotec Z-Wave multi-sensors, at their best. The Envisalink devices are just like any other motion device in HomeSeer and can be used to trigger events or work with Blade's BLRadar plug-in. The speed is also reliable, where the Z-Wave devices would occasionally have a little lag. I did a control test between the motion sensors through Arduino as compared to Envisalink devices created by the plug-in. Arduino inputs were verified to have a maximum delay of about 1/2 second between an input trigger and response in the HomeSeer device. The Envisalink plug-in adds another 1/2 second. I ran the two in parallel for a couple of weeks and the results were consistent.

While I have not decided on monitoring yet, the rest of the pieces are in place and have been working great for about 30 days. I am very happy I went this direction. The battery life of the DSC wireless sensors are reported to be 4-5 years on a single CR2032, and they are supervised.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I use a DSC power series panel and the HS plugin through an IT100 and only install DSC professionally. I prefer to hard wire everything. I had one costumer whose wireless door sensor wasn't working, come to find out she had a wireless doorbell that had it's button stuck in which was blocking the signal. I also like to solder all connections so they are electrically sound for many years to come. I say wire every door and window with each room with windows being a zone. that way if bad weather is coming you know which room has an open window. Put motion detectors in key areas to control lighting etc...
          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

I agree that having the security system separate from the HS system is a good way to go in general. A windows-based home automation server is never going to be as robust and reliable as an embedded alarm system that was designed from the ground up to be as fail-safe as possible.

FWIW, I use an ELK M1 security system and the UltraM1 plug-in to connect it to Homeseer. I have a number of HS events that are triggered by the ELK M1. For example, if one of outside doors is open after a certain time at night I get an email/text.

I have also wired a number of sensors into the ELK M1 (such as a driveway alarm and a doorbell) because I find it's easier to integrate them via ELK vs. buying a separate contact relay and hooking that up to Homeseer.

Comment

I actually didn't read it correct i see later on.
              Thought you wanted to "read out" the hard wired sensors that where already installed
              But since you do not have a system yet, probably use a plugin for a existing system would be the most easy way.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Have now been looking at available systems in Australia that can connect to homeseer.

Seems the best reviews come for Hills & Bosch.

Does anyone have any experience wot he connecting either to homeseer?

Comment

I've got an old bosch system that I want to connect but I havent found anything related to it, if you end up finding something please let me know!

Comment

There is a user in South Africa that has done a Homeseer DIY with a Parodox alarm panel.

Here utilizing a Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 (X2) combo security automation panel with X10, UPB, Z-Wave and now Zigbee. I have configured the Z-Wave PIM as a secondary controller to the primary Homeseer 3 Z-Wave Plus Zee-2 automation controller.

It'll chat with a Leviton HAI KNX gateway just fine.

• The KNX Gateway allows Leviton Omni and Lumina automation controllers to communicate with and control KNX devices installed on the network
                    • Lighting, temperature/energy management, and motors (window coverings, shades, shutters, etc.) are among the many KNX devices that can be controlled from a Leviton interface or via controller programming
                    • The KNX Gateway provides an interface between the Leviton automation controller and the KNX network by mapping specific data points of each KNX device to a unit or thermostat number on the Leviton controller
                    • The KNX Gateway is powered either via a PoE Ethernet connection or 12-24V AC/DC
                    • The interface between the KNX Gateway and the automation controller utilizes an RS-485 serial connection. Compatible controllers include the OmniPro II, Omni IIe, Omni LTe, Lumina Pro, and Lumina

There is a Homeseer 3 plugin available for the Omni Pro series of panels.

Way different than the Gold Coast of Australia but here went to University (Loyola) near an area in Chicago called the Gold Coast.

Gold Coast Historic District (Chicago)
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The DSC systems are readily available in Australia, however, finding one local maybe a little bit of fun.

There is also a number of suppliers on eBay that are located in Sydney that will assist in programming too.

The EVL4 you can buy direct from the US and even with shipping will be cheaper than buying here.

If you take the route of DSC, just be aware, any wireless DSC devices will need to be AU/EU as they are different to the US.

Comment

HomeSeer sells the DSC systems and will ship to AU. These are relatively easy to install and is an excellent system for the money.
                        http://store.homeseer.com/store/Secu...tems-C236.aspx
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          I recently switched from all Z-Wave to a DSC PC1864 security panel. I was using Z-Wave multi-sensors and Z-Wave door and window switches. Batteries on the multi-sensors were the primary motivation for the switch. I first went to wired PIRs connected through Arduino boards. I was immediately happier with those than the Z-Wave counterparts. Batteries were no longer an issue and I really like the binary nature of wired sensors. They show motion when there is motion and immediately go to no motion when they no longer see it. That opens up a completely different approach to motion events.

After that experiment, I decided to take the plunge and switch to a dedicated alarm with an interface to HomeSeer.

The system now:
                          • DSC PC1864 panel
                          • DSC PK5564 keypad and wireless interface
                          • Bosch and DSC wired motion detectors
                          • DSC wireless window and door sensors
                          • DSC wired glassbreak detectors
                          • a few wired door sensors
                          • DSC wireless key fobs
                          • Envisalink EVL-4 network interface.

The switch to the DSC panel gave me autonomous home security, the plug-in gives me interoperability between the DSC system and HomeSeer.

I use Spud's Envisalink plug-in to interface between the panel and HomeSeer. Each of the 64 zones is a HomeSeer device. There are also partition devices. The HomeSeer devices can all be used to trigger events, as can the partition status devices and messages received from the EVL-4. Response times are about 1 second between any device in the DSC panel and its affiliated device in HomeSeer. I can use motion, door and window detection devices to trigger HomeSeer events. I can arm/disarm and monitor the panel status. We do not have a land line telephone any more. Envisalink offers free online access to the panel and modestly priced monitoring over IP.

Using motion controlled lighting as one example, the response of the system is easily as fast as it was with Aeotec Z-Wave multi-sensors, at their best. The Envisalink devices are just like any other motion device in HomeSeer and can be used to trigger events or work with Blade's BLRadar plug-in. The speed is also reliable, where the Z-Wave devices would occasionally have a little lag. I did a control test between the motion sensors through Arduino as compared to Envisalink devices created by the plug-in. Arduino inputs were verified to have a maximum delay of about 1/2 second between an input trigger and response in the HomeSeer device. The Envisalink plug-in adds another 1/2 second. I ran the two in parallel for a couple of weeks and the results were consistent.

While I have not decided on monitoring yet, the rest of the pieces are in place and have been working great for about 30 days. I am very happy I went this direction. The battery life of the DSC wireless sensors are reported to be 4-5 years on a single CR2032, and they are supervised.
                          Would you mind giving the model info of the wired sensors?

Comment

Originally posted by Rickives View Post
                            We are building a new home in Australia where I want to implement a security system as well as DIY home automation. I am thinking of the following...

Stand alone hard wired security system that is professionally installed.
                            Homeseer automation, but that also passively monitors the signals from the sensors on the automation system to have a single place to monitor everything as well as use them for some of the control (lights etc). Except for that, I would leave the security system as stand alone.
                            Hi there, I'm in Australia too and choosing security system I could integrate with HS. What did you endup getting?

Comment

Working...
                            X