No announcement yet.

Unifi Controller Wifi user connect/disconnect data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it !! I can see all the messages in the syslog tab. Now I only have to figure out what is what and I can start creating events.

So do I use this for the device as having connected to the AP

ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b IEEE 802.11: associated

or this:

ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
      Got it !! I can see all the messages in the syslog tab. Now I only have to figure out what is what and I can start creating events.

So do I use this for the device as having connected to the AP

ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b IEEE 802.11: associated

or this:

ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

You use this: ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b IEEE 802.11: associated

That said you ALSO have to specify the AP. Please look at the screenshots I posted of my event for connecting to my outside AP. They each have some unique identifying jargon.

I know this because I spent some time watching the log and experimenting with moving from on AP to another.

Also!
      The format of the things I needed to look for changed with an update to the Unifi software a few years back. I used to be able to sort APs by IP address, but no longer.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I have set up a couple of test events which fire push notifications when triggered. So far its seems to work well, I am only using ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b IEEE 802.11: associated
        or ...disassociated without an AP specified.
        One observation, my wife's phone is on Android 6, and the Wi-Fi keeps going to sleep, So the ping I am using on my phone on Android 5 to determine if it is still in the house. This does not work with Android 6 which is a pita. But, with the syslog method, it seems to stay associated. Have to watch it a bit longer, but that could be really good for me if that is the case.
        Last edited by mikee123; August 16, 2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I have also Unifi and I may do the same thing you have been doing, so thanks for the posting. On a side note, Jon00 has a great network and computer plugin that monitor devices, you may also want to take a look at it. Be ready, I will ask more question later about your implementation.

Thanks,
          Aldo

Comment

One observation, my wife's phone is on Android 6, and the Wi-Fi keeps going to sleep, So the ping I am using on my phone on Android 5 to determine if it is still in the house. This does not work with Android 6 which is a pita. But, with the syslog method, it seems to stay associated. Have to watch it a bit longer, but that could be really good for me if that is the case.

Now that right there is a very interesting fact. I might just scrap my non Unifi AP for this benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
              Now that right there is a very interesting fact. I might just scrap my non Unifi AP for this benefit.
              I can confirm that when my ping sensor stops working on the sleeping phone (only when its sitting still and not charging) in my unifi controller web UI I can see the phone is still connected.

Really I have gotten geofencing down to working perfect (phlocation and EgiZone using pathsense) that it's not a huge issue for me anymore. I still ahve ping sensor as a last resort (backup) only for getting home. Has nothing to do with leaving since it falses. I use small 150 meter radius for getting home and leaving. No falses yet with pathsense and ignore false reports checked.

Comment

Have been testing the associated/disassociated event a bit more. It really seems quite reliable. When leaving the house, geofencing I had to walk about 300 yards from the house before it triggered the 'away' event. Now its much earlier, about 50 yards. So that is much earlier. For coming home, geofencing triggers much earlier, but in case that doesn't trigger I have the associated with my AP as a backup. Works well, even with the Android 6 phone and the sleeping WiFi issues. So for me I'll probably get rid of the ping on the Android 6 as its useless, but don't really need it any more with geofencing and the AP combo.
                Great. Can really recommend this.

Comment

I think there might still be problems with Android 6. My wife has just left the house, but it has not triggered the disassociate event. I have to try and find out why. While doing that, if I search in Ultralogmon the syslog page, put in her MAC, as a range put in 4 days, nothing shows up. I know I had a few associate/disassociate events as they have triggered my HS3 event and push notification to my phone. If I search for the MAC of my phone, again for 4 days, all I get is todays events. I know I had events yesterday, but they do not show. I guess I am doing something wrong in the search ? It would help to be able to do a proper search to be able to find out whats going on...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Have been testing the associated/disassociated event a bit more. It really seems quite reliable. When leaving the house, geofencing I had to walk about 300 yards from the house before it triggered the 'away' event. Now its much earlier, about 50 yards. So that is much earlier. For coming home, geofencing triggers much earlier, but in case that doesn't trigger I have the associated with my AP as a backup. Works well, even with the Android 6 phone and the sleeping WiFi issues. So for me I'll probably get rid of the ping on the Android 6 as its useless, but don't really need it any more with geofencing and the AP combo.
                    Great. Can really recommend this.
                    I like your system to monitor these events, unfortunately I have few phones including an iPhone that keep disconnecting from the network. Is there any app that keeps the Wi-Fi on when they go to sleep?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I have found why the Android 6 phone did not trigger today. It was connecting to my guest network, which is a different (non Ubiquity) router, so doesn't show in the logs. So I will forget the guest network on that phone, that should solve that problem.
                      With the Apple phone WiFi going to sleep, that's the same as on Android 6. I would think there is a chance that will also stay associated to the AP, even when the WiFi goes to sleep. If that is the case, you could use it too. But someone with an iPhone would need to confirm, or if you have a Ubiquity Ap and an iPhone give it a try. To test I created events which only send a notification on every association / disassocitation for testing purposes. Once I have seen it works I am using them now fully.

Comment

Hi all,

this is awesome, can this method also see people on the guest network ?
                        HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                        53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                        https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                          Hi all,

this is awesome, can this method also see people on the guest network ?
                          In a word, yes. It can be used to trigger events from any Unifi log message. And there is no dearth of data in the log.

Comment

hmmm i can't seem to make it work on the same machine...

so as ive understood it the process should be:

tell unify to send the log to the homeseer machine
                            tell ultra log to look at the same IP and port
                            ?
                            then the logs should start appearing?

is that correct?
                            Last edited by Raptor; August 23, 2017, 01:20 PM.
                            HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                            53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                            https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

On UltraLog enable Syslog on startup.
                              Reststart Homeseer.
                              Depending on OS, ensure firewall allowing UltraLog connection over LAN for Win10 refer post 44
                              Set up UniFi Controller to redirect Syslog to HS IP address and port.

Comment

I had a power cut, and since then I do not get any more entries in syslog. I checked the UniFi settings, remote syslog is still configured as it was before the power cut, my HS3 machine still has the same IP as its static. I have unticked the remote syslog, saved, then ticked again and saved. Still no new entries in the syslog. I can see all entries to the point of the power cut, and the UniFi Ap is working fine.
                                Any ideas ?

Comment

Working...
                                X