Alternative to RFXCOM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to RFXCOM?

I just had another RFXCOM rfxtrx433 transceiver die on me. This one was specially modded by another user here to have a real serial connection, since you can't buy the serial version anymore.

Before I go spend another large chunk of money to replace it, are there any alternatives? I know there are 433MHz modules readily available for Arduino. I use primarily Oregon Scientific sensors, plus Maverick BBQ thermometer.

EDIT: Ok, so it's not dead yet. Moved it to a different serial port and it's happy now. But since all electronics die at some point, and USB connections aren't an option for me (virtual server) I'd still like to pose the question.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Good to hear it did not die on you. I was going to offer you to send it back to me and I could check if it was just the buck power supply inside that perhaps died.

Comment

Funny, it was acting like my last one that did actually die. I could open the port and send, but wouldn't receive. I'll have to do a little more investigation to see what's up with the port that's acting wonky on my Digi.
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

The only alternative two alternatives that I have seen are:

Arduino but you have to write your own interfaces. Good point of reference maybe work being conducted in OpenHab Project

Broadlink RM2 which contains 433MHz with inbuilt learning capability and IR, but once again you'll need to develop a fair bit and integration with your use cases are not known.

RFXCOM has became default standard interface module due to it wide acceptance, use and integrates with a large product base

Comment

There is a very good alternative. Cheaper and more powerful.
          It is called the RFLink Gateway. It does many protocols on 315/433/868/915 mhz.
          See: http://www.nemcon.nl/blog2/2015/07/devlist for a list of devices.. and more are added all the time.
          It now also supports 2.4Ghz MiLight/LimitlessLed/Applamp devices (send and receive, so it does more than the wifi bridges!).

All you need is an Arduino Mega and a decent RF transceiver (like Aurel/RXB6/SYN) for the frequency you want to use. Additionally you can also add a NRF24L01 for the Milight stuff. You can get it complete for about $10-20 or spend a bit more if you want it fast or better quality.
          As far as I know there is no plugin for Homeseer yet but if anyone wants to give that a shot we are happy to assist.

Stuntteam

Comment

There was a RFX Lan device from RFXCOM. Cant find it on their page anymore, not sure what happend.

Comment

The RFXLAN can easily be made by using the RFXtrx433E and an USB hub or a small Linux system with ser2net installed, see http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...83&postcount=2

The RFXtrx433E supports all protocols of the RFXLAN and much more. RFXtrx firmware updates with new protocols can easily be flashed by the user.
              The RFXtrx433E has a 433.92MHz receiver and transmitter and in addition a transmitter for Somfy at 433.42MHz for a reliable and large transmit distance.

Comment

Is there any news of RFlink plugin? Just went from domoticz to homeseer and the hardest part is to let go of the RFlink :P

Comment

For me it starts look like HS does not want any other RF interfaces than RFX is it the case or am i just getting bit paranoid.
                  Nothing for Broadlink ir any other nice bits of equipment. I just moved in to the new house and i want to renew my systems but my 3rd RFX stopped working and i am not to keen to buy the 4rd one in this prices wit so many problems. I love the ability that Broadlink can learn from any remote and that it has IR.
                  Any idea why HS does not have any plugins for that?

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma73 View Post
                    For me it starts look like HS does not want any other RF interfaces than RFX is it the case or am i just getting bit paranoid.
                    You are paranoid. You are free to write all the plugins for HomeSeer you want.

Originally posted by mahatma73 View Post
                    Any idea why HS does not have any plugins for that?
                    Yes, this is simple. Nobody has written a plugin yet.
                    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

RFLink is a good alternative and there's no need for a HS3 plugin. See my writeup on using RFLink with HS3 via Node-Red and MQTT:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=195985

Comment

Working...
                      X