Switch too big for box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch too big for box

I just bought a z-wave plus GE Jasco paddle dimmer switch and when I went to install it, it is too big to fit into the double gang box. The house is old and the box is metal and looks to be a bit smaller than the blue plastic ones. The problem is the height.

Are there other paddle z-wave dimmers that have a smaller piece that goes into the switch box?

My other alternative is to tear out the current box and replace with a bigger one. Not my preferred solution.

If it's sheetrock I'd definitely go with a 'Old Work' extra deep new plastic box. I have replaced many single/smaller with larger/deeper ones.
    cheeryfool

Comment

Had to replace a couple of boxes too - real pain.

Comment

Comment

In my case, I went for normal switches however every switch has a z-wave module (fibaro dimmer or relay) behind it.

Like tome10, I'm also in a new house albeit 2 years old now and we had only have 22mm or whatever it is around that figure backbox throughout.
          So to get away from the space issues , I put all the modules in the cavity. This way there are no space issues. Only issue I will have is if I need to replace them should they die or I move house and want to take it with me.

All inclusion/exclusion has been possible via the standard toggle switches with the dimmers. Relays have caused more of an issue in that to get around opening up the switches each time, you use the fuse box switch so
          1. fuse box switch turn off
          2. fuse box switch turn on and straight away toggle switch 3 times to inclusion (or exclusion).

I've not found anything nice enough within the z-wave range to replace my conventional switches which is where the modules come in handy and they have the usual monitoring etc.

Comment

Working...
          X