Ring Pro and BLRing plug-in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phareous View Post
    Oh I had this on my list to install. I had it on there originally but took it off when I was troubleshooting my doorbell constantly humming. It turned out to need a new transformer and had nothing to do with the Elk I think.
    I can't get my Ring Pro to stop randomly chiming my existing doorbell. Most of the time it happens at night only - great!!!. Sometimes it seems to be sensitive to external events - my outdoor floodlights going off or me going to live view. Other times it just happens at random times. And once it starts it just keeps going, so I have to disconnect it.

I logged a ticket and added Ring to my users so that they could troubleshoot, but they're not particularly responsive.

I already upgraded my transformer as the old one was only producing at 10v at the push button location. Health check shows perfect now.

Time to go chase Ring again.
    cheeryfool

Comment

BLRing & Ring Pro Floodlights

I'm a z-Wave and HS rookie. I managed to get the plug in installed, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Is the plugin functional? Is it compatible with Ring Pro Floodlights and Doorbell?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SJ Miller View Post
        I'm a z-Wave and HS rookie. I managed to get the plug in installed, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Is the plugin functional? Is it compatible with Ring Pro Floodlights and Doorbell?

Thanks.

For me it's entirely non-functional. Blade and bsobel were sharing ideas about a month ago but I believe Blade is now on his annual vacation, so may not have a chance to look at it for a while.
        cheeryfool

Comment

I assume everyone is paying cloud storage subscriptions?

I have only had mine for a couple weeks, but I am not convinced it is worth paying a subscription. . .Any chances screenshots could be captured and emailed on ring/motion events?

Also, wondering if I can deal with the battery life I am seeing. . .down to 43% after a couple weeks. . .

Comment

I have the ring pro, hardwired, but it doesn't ring a mechanical or electronic doorbell, it "rings" my HS3 via an analog input!
            I used a relay instead of a doorbell and connected the NO contacts to the input. So I get instantaneous reaction from HS3 when someone pushes the button. Since I have my HS3 speaker client and sound output connected to my old-school in-house intercom system, the doorbell sound and announcement played by HS3 is heard in every room.
            Additionally I get the push on the phone which useful for when I'm away.

Of course I don't get motion detection into HS3 this way, but since this is "the hardware way" they can never screw up the API for me

Comment

Originally posted by electron73 View Post
              I have the ring pro, hardwired, but it doesn't ring a mechanical or electronic doorbell, it "rings" my HS3 via an analog input!
              I used a relay instead of a doorbell and connected the NO contacts to the input. So I get instantaneous reaction from HS3 when someone pushes the button. Since I have my HS3 speaker client and sound output connected to my old-school in-house intercom system, the doorbell sound and announcement played by HS3 is heard in every room.

Of course I don't get motion detection into HS3 this way, but since this is "the hardware way" they can never screw up the API for me
              What you have there seems ideal, what have you connected the relay to? Mine is wired from transformer to RingPro, so no obvious place to intercept the connection

Comment

Can you elaborate? I'd love to do this!

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, but you can do this same set-up with a $5 doorbell button. I say this because I'm debating buying a Ring, but not hearing good things about reliability of the API, or the promptness of motion notification sent to mobile phones.

Is there a good reason to buy a Ring, especially for integration into a HS3 system?

Comment

I had a ring at my last house and it worked pretty well as a standalone device. But the ifttt POS integration took at least 45 minutes to fire, and they don't really offer an API. I want the normal ring experience (answer the video doorbell remotely) but also want instant notification internally via HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
                      I had a ring at my last house and it worked pretty well as a standalone device. But the ifttt POS integration took at least 45 minutes to fire, and they don't really offer an API. I want the normal ring experience (answer the video doorbell remotely) but also want instant notification internally via HS3.
                      Yes, same experience here. IFTTT and plugin alerts were very delayed. . .though I think I got it down to 5-7 minutes. . .but Ring app itself gets instant alerts (along with the indoor ring speaker I got separately from Walmart for $12). . .maybe Amazon acquiring Ring will help? I was guessing that the slowness of IFTTT has to do with the type of license Ring purchased. . .

Comment

I'm migrating from another HA system so still very much new to HS but the solution I used on the previous system works here to reduce the lag from IFTTT. Stringify is several magnitudes faster here. It's unfortunately still not instant but 3-4 seconds is the norm compared to minutes or hours. Stringify, like IFTTT, is free and supports both motion or button events from Ring.

Logically, it would be setup as follows:

Ring >> Stringify >> IFTTT >> HS3

That setup provides consistent HS action in about 3-4 seconds for me, YMMV.

I would prefer to use the PI if it were faster but based on what I've read, the only way to speed it up would be to configure the PI to poll every 2 seconds or more. Does anyone know if it polls locally? Not sure I want to hit Ring's servers that often. Polling every other second is 43k hits a day.

Comment

BLRing Status

Hi guys, any new updates on this plug-in? I have a basic Ring and have the plug-in (2.0.26.0) installed and initialized but no devices created and no activity noted. I'd really love to see this functional through HS.

Thanks!

Comment

Let me guess. You hook the "coil" of the relay to the terminals where the traditional "bell" or "chime" used to be. Now the push of the Ring button will activate the relay instead of ringing.
                            The NO contacts of the relay will close and somehow trigger a HS3 event, most likely emulating a zone on your security system. Very smart. Congrats.
                            Last edited by risquare; June 11, 2018, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jguest View Post
                              Hi guys, any new updates on this plug-in? I have a basic Ring and have the plug-in (2.0.26.0) installed and initialized but no devices created and no activity noted. I'd really love to see this functional through HS.

Thanks!
                              Same here. Just installed 2.0.27.0, no devices, no activity.

Comment

Slow question, I just installed two Ring Pro's which are up and running according to the Ring app. I installed the BLRing PI and setup the option tab with my ring email and password and selected the initialize button and have a green "initialized" status being displayed. When I go to my HS3 devices tab I do not see any relevant virtual devices... what am I missing? Mike
                                Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
                                Op System: Windows10 Pro - Work Station
                                HS Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Working...
                                X