Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Z-wave ever replace all my X-10 apps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Z-wave ever replace all my X-10 apps?

I've been slowing replacing X-10 switches with Z-wave (just replaced my RCS x-10 thermostat too). That has gone well. However, my setup includes controlling a water pump and driveway alert located 200' from the house and in an underground pump house, a detached garage/workshop 100' from the house (controlling lights, doors, etc.) and I've just added a barn 450' from the house. I need to control the block heater on my tractor in the latter.

"Tink" made a comment in the 2.4 discussion about Z-wave eventually burying X-10 and I have not doubt that is true for in-house control. I know (from the example that was posted of controlling a water heater) that I can get Z-wave to control the water pump. But how do a get the signal to the underground pump house? How about getting a signal to the barn?

Or do I need keep using X-10 for those applications or look to one of the other technologies available? The X-10 modules have worked well for me, but they have been in service in some cases for 15 years. They are critical applications and I want to upgrade them before they fail.

Any advice or suggestions for moving forward greatly appreicated.

Barry

Barry,
    Z-Wave is nice but if you have devices that are that far aways and they are already wired then I would stick with a powerline protocol for these applications. Z-Wave may snuff out X10 but there are still a few devices they need to make to totally replace X10 and there is always going to be instances as these where Z-Wave will not reach. The beauty of using HomeSeer is you can use Z-Wave, and say a UPB module in the barn but even that distance may be pushing it. Does X10 work in the barn now?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Barry,
      Z-Wave is nice but if you have devices that are that far aways and they are already wired then I would stick with a powerline protocol for these applications. Z-Wave may snuff out X10 but there are still a few devices they need to make to totally replace X10 and there is always going to be instances as these where Z-Wave will not reach. The beauty of using HomeSeer is you can use Z-Wave, and say a UPB module in the barn but even that distance may be pushing it. Does X10 work in the barn now?
      Just had the barn wired, so I'll try seeing if X-10 works this weekend. The high here might make 20 and I want to be able to turn the heater on an hour before I have to hike to the barn. The house, garage and barn service panels are all feed off the meter base. Controlling the garage and well house haven't been a problem and I think the barn will work.

I'm going to experiment with the garage by installing a z-wave outlet at the point closest to the house. My Z-troller is located in the house basement with the HS server. I've debated moving it to the second story if I can't get a signal to the garage.

I've not looked into UPB, but will do so. And yes, all of this is possible because of HS. A friend sent me this link http://cordis.europa.eu/ictresults/i...tures&ID=91085 about an EU automation project. I sent him the HS link.

Barry

Comment

Let us know if the X10 will work that far away. If it does I'll be surprised at bit but this old protocol keeps on ticking for many of us. I miss being on a farm but not on these cold days. We had a milk farm for many years and I'll never miss the 4am/4pm milkings 365 days a year with no vacations for years. I'll also not miss those dang diesels not wanting to start even with engine block heaters. I'm surprised that an hour is enough to get the engine warm enough.
        Keep us updated on the Z-Wave test as well.

Did you run any cat5 to the barn by any chance? If so you could use a second Z-Troller.

Comment

I did run two cat5 and a pull string in conduit to the barn. I'll let you know how the testing goes.
          Barry

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
            I did run two cat5 and a pull string in conduit to the barn. I'll let you know how the testing goes.
            Barry
            Ah, then you have the option to run a second Z-Troller if needed.

Comment

How do you connect a z-troller to cat5? Are you just talking about running serial over cat5? I really need to move my z-troller, but thought that serial could only go up to 50' - or so I thought.
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                How do you connect a z-troller to cat5? Are you just talking about running serial over cat5? I really need to move my z-troller, but thought that serial could only go up to 50' - or so I thought.
                With cat5 you can use one of these:
                http://store.homeseer.com/store/HSLS...-P439C179.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                  I use a pair of these http://www.showmecables.com/DB-RJ-Mo...Fdx05QodUkGLfw to make very long serial cables (I've been successful at over 150' between my house and garage). Cheap enough to try without a big investment.

Barry

Comment

pins 2,3, and 5. I use a twisted pair for each.
                    Stuart
                    btw the same works for the wrf800

Comment

It worked!

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      Let us know if the X10 will work that far away. If it does I'll be surprised at bit but this old protocol keeps on ticking for many of us... Keep us updated on the Z-Wave test as well.
                      I left work early and drove over to the farm. Took the appliance module and a table top controller to the barn. Hooked up the boombox I keep out there and made sure the music was LOUD. Turned it off with with the controller, then went back to the house. Used HS to turn it on, then walked back through the snow (not much) to the barn. I could hear the music as I was walking up! Turned around and shut it off at the house - then back to the barn, just to be sure. It was off! The block heater is now hooked up and ready for me to start it in the morning.

Barn automation at its finest!

I suspect I've been one of the lucky ones with X-10. The house is in the middle of the woods, so no neighbors. I did have a good lesson in why I need to move (at least where I can) to Z-wave over the holidays. For more years than I like to remember, I have used X-10 to control decorations. I have one spot in the living room where a sub woofer sucks X-10 signals, so I had a run an extension cord to get around it. This year I was able to use a Z-wave module there. It worked of course, but the speed of response to on/off was clearly evident for everyone to see. Z-wave was shining brightly and the difference was enough to impress my wife.

Barry

Comment

Excellent. Good old X10 comes through again.

Comment

Glad you got it all checked out.

I only run about 150 ft with X10 but other than having to add a filter every now and then, X10 works great for outlying buildings.
                          Zwave is pretty good for most things in the house but still like the X10 around the yard.

Comment

Working...
                          X