Looking for recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for recommendations

I'm running HS2 Pro 2.5.0.80. When I started years ago I was using an Ocelot. That died and I switched to an old TI 103 that seemed to work OK. My system has about 100 devices. Most are X10 with a few Z-Wave modules. I have about 10 Interfaces. Most are run by USB to serial cable adapters.

I haven't touched the system in a few years. Lately it's been slow slow slow. For instance, when my garage door opens, the chime will go off 20 minutes later. Real pain.

I've been thinking about upgrading the whole thing. Now I see this Black Friday sale and think it's about time.

However! Being out of touch for so long I'm faced with too many choices. Last I looked, there were about 4 interfaces. My email shows lots more than that.

I'm asking for recommendations.

Will the HomeTroller Zee work as my power line interface or is it something else? Would a different interface make more sense? The Zee comes with HS3. Is there a discount if I have HS2 pro?

Will HS3 let me use my speaker app on my windows 7 remote machine (still answers to any sound at all). The only recommendation I got here was uninstall Win7 and install XP.

Will my RFID and 1-wire interfaces work with HS3 since they don't with HS2?

I sure have to catch up. I'm feeling lost :-)

John

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
    I

I'm asking for recommendations.

Will the HomeTroller Zee work as my power line interface or is it something else? Would a different interface make more sense? The Zee comes with HS3. Is there a discount if I have HS2 pro?
    No, the Zee will not function as a power line interface. You would use your TI-103 with it. The HS3 version that comes with the Zee is slightly different in that it has fewer HST-supplied plugins and does not support 3rd party plugins - that is as of today.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
      I'm running HS2 Pro 2.5.0.80. . . .I have about 10 Interfaces. Most are run by USB to serial cable adapters. I haven't touched the system in a few years. Lately it's been slow slow slow. . . .I've been thinking about upgrading the whole thing. Now I see this Black Friday sale and think it's about time. However! Being out of touch for so long I'm faced with too many choices. . . .Will my RFID and 1-wire interfaces work with HS3 since they don't with HS2?
      If your system is not working with HS2, your choices probably boil down to two:
      1 - Figure out why your current system is not working and fix the problems you uncover, then begin to explore migrating to HS3.
      2 - Blow up your current system and start over from scratch with HS3. Start small and build a new system slowly, one interface at a time.

As many on the board have observed, HS3 is, for all practical purposes, still in beta. There are kinks yet to be worked out and all the plug-ins are not yet fully functional. Things are improving, but it's capabilities are still evolving and the software is not yet as stable as HS2. I would definitely not recommend moving a buggy system to HS3. That will only add to the confusion and frustration.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

@John,

Check out your Databases and thin them out a bit. Might help in having a stable running HS2.

Here when first upgrading to V.81 a few versions before I noticed that had up to some 6-7 years of data.

Also over the years I had disabled many events and many unused variables and left them there.

I also forgot what the intended purpose of some those same events.

Really its just maybe some housecleaning of your HS2 setup; baby steps a bit at a time.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks a LOT for the replies. I'll see what I can do with it. I like the cleaning the database idea. As I recall, it's an Access database? I don't use Access but maybe can open it with something else.

I'm glad I posted this before I plunked down $1000 for upgrades.

Comment

Yup; here just did a clean shutdown of Homeseer. Note if it a forced HS shut down; you will not be able to open the DB.

Copied the DB's over to my desktop. It was mostly the weather and temperatures DB stuff that had the most data. I just used the desktop Microsoft office package included Access DB tools to repair the Homeseer DB.

I also combed through the directories deleting upgraded stuff that was backed up.

Did it slowly; a bit at a time and always kept the original files as backup to the cleansed stuff.

I have today two running HS2 boxes and they are doing fine. I do not pay attention much these days with HS2 stuff while playing around with HS3; mostly to get familiar with it these days as I have shifted my newer stuff to Linux.

Did a quickie MS DB freebie portable program search and found one googling here. (never used it before). Being portable you can put it on a USB stick and just run it on your Homeseer box.

http://www.alexnolan.net/software/mdb_viewer_plus.htm

I looked this morning at one boxes stats.

Total Devices 521
            Total Events 145

Installed Plugins ACRF2,BLUPS,MCSxAP,Ultralog,UPB,Jon00PerfMonHS2,HSTouchServe r,HSTouchAndroid,HSPI-CM11A, BLRfid CheaperRFID Plugin Cumulus CumulusR HAI_System Maestro Awareness Maestro Core UltraLog WAF AB8SS2 mcsTemperature weatherXML

Note that this doesn't include numerous scripts running.
            Here went to using two Digi 8 port Edgeports connecting to the above stuff with a single USB cable running from the HS box like this:

Homeseer USB = = > Digi 7 port USB hub = = > variety of Homeseer USB devices = = > 2 X Digi Edgeports.
            On the LAN also have ==> Digi USB Anywhere, Lantronix USB to Network device and 3 Quantech to serial servers.

Primary light switch automation is via UPB. Playing with Z-Wave, Insteon and Zigbee. X10 is utilized for my Christmas stuff every year.
            Last edited by Pete; May 1, 2014, 04:52 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
            X