No announcement yet.

How to Backup Aeon Lab Zstick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I asked the customer service of AeonLabs. Here's something i would like to share.

The Z-Stick don't support a network backup protocol and there isn't any software for it to do so. Because of that i am out of luck.
    However, it appears that it is only possible to make a backup of a Z-Stick controller via a Vera Gateway. Since i don't have one it's not an option for me.

But there is some good News too
    A Z-Stick gen5 will be release soon and this is what customer service told me about it.
    >The Z-Stick Gen5 will be compatible with Z-Wave backup tools, i am in contact with our engineers now to see what methods can be done to back up the Z-Stick Gen5.

And in a later email
    >We will be releasing a backup tool with the Z-Stick Gen5 when they are released. The Z-Stick Gen5 will be available within the next month or 2.
    - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
      I asked the customer service of AeonLabs. Here's something i would like to share.

The Z-Stick don't support a network backup protocol and there isn't any software for it to do so. Because of that i am out of luck.
      However, it appears that it is only possible to make a backup of a Z-Stick controller via a Vera Gateway. Since i don't have one it's not an option for me.
      Does it matter if you can back it up? As I understand it, you can't restore it so who cares? Or are you saying that Vera can restore them too? If so I have a Vera collecting dust and will happily backup/restore these thing for people. I should probably get rid of the Vera though.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
        Could be. But there's no reason to do that unless you have a faulty stick. And I guess there is no way of doing that if the stick is faulty...

Comment

Well... What happened here is, I accidentally bumped mine while it was plugged in and cracked it, but it still works. That's what got me looking for a way to backup the data. I have a new one coming, so I will try out this "send to another control and make primary" and maybe it will work. I understand the issues others are having...

Comment

Why not just get a Z-Net? Seems like a good thing to do any way.
            Originally posted by rprade
            There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by seer351 View Post
              Well... What happened here is, I accidentally bumped mine while it was plugged in and cracked it, but it still works. That's what got me looking for a way to backup the data. I have a new one coming, so I will try out this "send to another control and make primary" and maybe it will work. I understand the issues others are having...
              You just need two "setups" one for sending and one for receiving. I use Z-Tool for the second setup. But a trail will do fine.

Regards
              Morten

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                Why not just get a Z-Net? Seems like a good thing to do any way.

Truth be told I did order one. But I'm afraid to try to use it based off the other topics. Been waiting to see if the bugs are worked out of it. I want a working Z-Stick just in case I can't get the Z-Net operational and have to revert.
                With that said, I was able to get the second Z-stick to function with all my devices except one bug, my garage door sensor won;t respond. But if I disable the new Z stick and use the cracked one, it works fine.

I suppose I better try and make my $165 investment operational at some point...

Comment

With that said, I was able to get the second Z-stick to function with all my devices except one bug, my garage door sensor won;t respond. But if I disable the new Z stick and use the cracked one, it works fine.
                  Do i get this right? Did you manage to get the data from one stick to another without including all the devices again? Technically that would mean making a backup and it would be enough for me. Could you give some details how you did this?
                  Last edited by AshaiRey; March 22, 2015, 04:09 AM.
                  - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                  HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                  PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Do i get this right? Did you manage to get the data from one stick to another without including all the devices again? Technically that would mean making a backup and it would be enough for me. Could you give some details how you did this?
                    You just make a secondary stick. Promote the new stick to primary. The only problem is associations. They have to be moved by hand on each device.

Regards
                    Morten

Comment

[QUOTE=AshaiRey;1168468][QUOTE=seer351;1168442]With that said, I was able to get the second Z-stick to function with all my devices except one bug, my garage door sensor won;t respond. But if I disable the new Z stick and use the cracked one, it works fine.

Actually, yes I did manage to replicate the cracked Z-stick, and did get the garage door sensor to work just by restarting the new Stick interface. The process I followed was kind of buggy but I got it to work. I had both Zsticks plugged into the PC, and expanded both interfaces in the Zwave management. I set the cracked one to "send network to another device" and set the new one to "receive network from another device" and clicked the start button. The nodes transferred over to the new Zstick, and I set it as the primary controller.
                      But... Last night I probably had too much coffee, let S-F get inside my head, and worked up the nerve to try out the Z-Net unit I bought, and the thing works GREAT!!! So now I have the two Z-sticks set on a shelf "just in case" and my HS3 system with Z-Net functions beautifully. Faster response, my cameras actually work now within HS-touch. I obviously feel somewhat stupid for buying an extra Z-stick but I have some options with it also at another location. So now in the span of about a month I have gone from a buggy HS2 system with a Z-stick all the way to HS3/Znet. It was worth every penny. Probably will upgrade the shop over to Znet next...

Comment

[QUOTE=seer351;1168861][QUOTE=AshaiRey;1168468]
                        The process I followed was kind of buggy but I got it to work. I had both Zsticks plugged into the PC, and expanded both interfaces in the Zwave management. I set the cracked one to "send network to another device" and set the new one to "receive network from another device" and clicked the start button. The nodes transferred over to the new Zstick, and I set it as the primary controller.
                        I have done this as well so I have a backup zStick. Is there any way to keep the two sticks in sync automatically as I add new devices?

Scott

Comment

[QUOTE=ScottRennie;1169303][QUOTE=seer351;1168861]

I have done this as well so I have a backup zStick. Is there any way to keep the two sticks in sync automatically as I add new devices?

Scott
                          I am having trouble keeping 2 zSticks in sync. When I add a new z-wave device to my primary zStick, I cannot get it into the secondary stick by using the replicate send/receive function of HS3 and HS2 (primary is on HS3, secondary is on HS2). It worked initially, but it is not working now. Is anyone else able to get it to work.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I also have two zsticks and would like to backup my network as described. However, I don't understand any of this: "expanded both interfaces in the Zwave management. I set the cracked one to "send network to another device" and set the new one to "receive network from another device" and clicked the start button". Are you running HS2 or HS3, because I don't see these options on my HS2.
                            HS4Pro on Windows 10
                            One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
                            2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
                            300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
                            6 CT-100 tstats
                            Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
                            18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Comment

I am running HS3. But since I posted this, my secondary Aeon Z stick has died. It is totally unresponsive. I have ordered a HomeSeer Z stick.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

As I read this string of posts, I want to understand if it is still accurate. I understand that we can now back up an old Aeon Z stick via the HS3 controller management tools. That back up can then be restored to a smartstick plus. Is this correct?
                                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                                One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
                                2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
                                300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
                                6 CT-100 tstats
                                Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
                                18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Comment

Working...
                                X