Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for hardware advice

Hi All,
    I am new here I like the idea of a low coast system like the pi but not the 5 plugin limit I am planning on doing z-wave with a SmartStick+ and have an echo an google home I am looking for ideas to keep hardware cost low but be a bit above the pi
    thanks Beau

How are you defining Low Cost?
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Comment

I am just starting out out
        I known the software is going to cost a bit a i just went to start slow and build as i go if i had a old pc around i wold go that way but that out for now what i look for is a step up from a pi or some device i can load the software on

Comment

Do you prefer windows or Linux?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i am ok with both

Comment

Hi Kera,
              so your say normal hs3 will run on the pi under Linux does that work with the demo?

Comment

You can run HS3Pro on a Pi without the plugin limit. If you run the "for pi" version, it is cheaper, but you do have the 5-plugin limit.
                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I bought an Intel NUC for my Homeseer setup. I paid ~$240 for this one
                  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16883800009

a few years back, and it wasn't even a screaming hot deal. Another $40 to go to 8GB of RAM. I also added 2TB of hard drive space, just for grins, for probably another $75. So for about $350 I have a pretty nice little computer.

Of course Homeseer doubled the price of that, but you already knew that

Comment

Originally posted by beau76 View Post
                    Hi Kera,
                    so your say normal hs3 will run on the pi under Linux does that work with the demo?

Yep, it should. When I was testing, I ran into trouble with the demo only running for a few days instead of the normal 1 month. I got pretty good at re-installing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beau76 View Post
                      i am ok with both
                      As you may have guess the HS3 pi version of software is software limited to 5 plugins. It cheaper but still the same software with the limit added to it. Pi runs linux and you can install the full HS3 version with no limit on a linux device like a Pi.

So are you good with linux? I found that while I ran the full version on the pi3 I hated it and had nothing but problems. I know people that do it and it works for them but not for everyone.

So my concern for a new user is to try to swim upstream out of the gate and load full HS3 on a pi3 get it to auto boot on startup and more might give you the wrong impression of HomeSeer. I know that if I didn't already have a windows version running and know how HS3 performs I would have probley kicked homeseer to the curb, called it unreliable, slow and a bunch of other things. More plugins on the pi3 caused me headaches.

So my point is if you go this route don't hold it against Homeseer if you have problems or if its not documented well. Proceed with caution.

Comment

Working...
                      X