Migrating zwave to homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrating zwave to homeseer

I have a Universal Devices ISY994iZW which I am at the end of my rope with. I have ordered a HomeTroller SEL to replace it. My home automation network is 100% zwave.

I am wondering if it is possible to add the Hometroller to my zwave network as a secondary controller to the ISY (The ISY appears to support this), then promote it to primary and remove the ISY - in an effort to seamlessly move my large zwave network over without having to go hit the include button on a myriad of devices, some of which are very difficult to reach.

Is this even a possibility? Curious if anyone has done anything like this?

Thanks!
    Graham

Originally posted by grahamk View Post
    I have a Universal Devices ISY994iZW which I am at the end of my rope with. I have ordered a HomeTroller SEL to replace it. My home automation network is 100% zwave.

I am wondering if it is possible to add the Hometroller to my zwave network as a secondary controller to the ISY (The ISY appears to support this), then promote it to primary and remove the ISY - in an effort to seamlessly move my large zwave network over without having to go hit the include button on a myriad of devices, some of which are very difficult to reach.

Is this even a possibility? Curious if anyone has done anything like this?

Thanks!
    Graham
    yes, if the ISY has a way to 'send network and make primary' or 'replicate and make primary', etc.... then you can do that. Use that function first. Then, in the HomeTroller, once it has the network information and is the primary controller, you'll need to run the "Import" function. That will interrogate each device and create all the HomeSeer devices that will populate the device mgmt page. Don't expect this to be 100% error free though, as some devices (secure devices like door locks) will probably need to be included fully by HomeSeer.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks! The ISY has a "Shift Primary to another Controller" option. When activated it "listens for another device to become primary".

My first step seems to be adding the homeseer device as a secondary controller. The procedure seems to want it to be added to the ISY as a zwave device.

I am not seeing a clear method to put the homeseer into include mode to add it to a zwave network as secondary - am i missing something obvious someplace? :-)

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Thanks! The ISY has a "Shift Primary to another Controller" option. When activated it "listens for another device to become primary".

My first step seems to be adding the homeseer device as a secondary controller. The procedure seems to want it to be added to the ISY as a zwave device.

I am not seeing a clear method to put the homeseer into include mode to add it to a zwave network as secondary - am i missing something obvious someplace? :-)

Thanks for the help.
        this option from the Z-Wave controller actions:
        Attached Files

Comment

OK - thanks - I tried that with an Aeon z-stick and the PC software and it just timed out. But I'm not convinced that the zstick works - I will try it when I receive the homeseer unit and hope for better results.

Really appreciate the quick replies!!

Comment

OK good luck. Get with our support folks if you run into issues.

Comment

I was able to retrieve zwave information from my ISY, most nodes appear in my homeseer device list now - but I am unable to control any of them from homeseer. For instance, a simple on/off switch - pressing the on/off buttons seem to have no effect - EDIT: They are being logged.

Device: Office Z-Wave Graham Floor Heater to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

But nothing happens.

Any ideas appreciated.

Comment

I was able to retrieve zwave information from my ISY, most nodes appear in my homeseer device list now - but I am unable to control any of them from homeseer. For instance, a simple on/off switch - pressing the on/off buttons seem to have no effect - EDIT: They are being logged.

Device: Office Z-Wave Graham Floor Heater to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

But nothing happens.

Any ideas appreciated.
                Did you run the "Import" function in HomeSeer after replicating the network to HomeSeer? The Import function should create HomeSeer devices that can be controlled. to check, each HomeSeer device should have "Z-Wave" tab and a Z-Wave node number assigned to it. Do you have that?

Comment

Are you using the z-stick as the z-wave controller for Homeseer, or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                    Did you run the "Import" function in HomeSeer after replicating the network to HomeSeer? The Import function should create HomeSeer devices that can be controlled. to check, each HomeSeer device should have "Z-Wave" tab and a Z-Wave node number assigned to it. Do you have that?
                    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the help. I had done that - but I had mucked around with it quite a bit so I decided to clear the z-wave plugin and start over. I have some success now! I am able to control a number of devices from homeseer.

I am missing a bunch though. When I run the import many devices throw this error:

Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 16, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.

I end up with a node listed in the device manager, but no ability to control them. Is there anything I can do to work around this?

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the help. I had done that - but I had mucked around with it quite a bit so I decided to clear the z-wave plugin and start over. I have some success now! I am able to control a number of devices from homeseer.

I am missing a bunch though. When I run the import many devices throw this error:

Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 16, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.

I end up with a node listed in the device manager, but no ability to control them. Is there anything I can do to work around this?
                      The process is not a perfect one and in some cases you'll need to re-include devices. If most of the devices came over and are controllable, that's a win.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                        The process is not a perfect one and in some cases you'll need to re-include devices. If most of the devices came over and are controllable, that's a win.
                        I'm have all my devices installed now. Devices that previously failed during the include command just needed a "rescan" from the Z-Wave tab on each device. It took a while, but far less time that climbing up into the attic and hitting include on a dozen microswitches. :-)

I have set up some events, triggered them from my phone, etc. Great progress.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Thanks again for your help.
                          You bet! Thanks for your order. Enjoy the SEL...

Comment

Working...
                          X