Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to use ...

Afternoon!

Ok, been researching for some time now and think it's time to pull the trigger. It seems cheapertronics has nothing and no way to contact them, so their reader is out. Where/What else is out there besides iAutomate for long range readers? I was looking maybe 20 foot, at max.

Maybe not RFID? Just wanting to signal the garage door when the cars pull up or signal the locks to unlock when someone is close. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!

it seems most use some combination of:
    -Cheapertronics - which there was another person selling them...was a post somewhere on the board
    -motion sensor in the car (Hawkeye)
    -ds10a with a 555 timer circuit on it - to "fake" a RFID.

I personally used to use (just have not set it back up) the motion sensor and RFID.

I had intentions to also use the lattitude plugin/script...just in case someone stole my car.

For the time being, I use a button on HStouch. So, if someone DID steal my car, right now they couldn't access my garage. Plus I have a z-wave leverl lock on the mudroom door. If the garage door closes, after (I think) 10 minutes, the mudroom door is locked. JUST in case someone DOES get into the garage (steals my wife's car).

Gotta give something up for the convienience of having "auto" garage door open.

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
      -motion sensor in the car (Hawkeye)
      -ds10a with a 555 timer circuit on it - to "fake" a RFID.
      Wow, I don't think I would like to trust my house security with that hardware!

I use a bluetooth transmitter and receiver for my detection.
      Jon

Comment

Right now I'm using RFID to track the family cars and to automate some things with the coming and going of those cars.

I'm using a combination of these devices coupled with the BLRFID plug-in to achieve my success. I will tell you that there is an occasional drop out of a tag here and there and I've gone to using two tags per car to avoid the drop out. So far i've never had both tags drop out at the same time. I also found better performance using 6v batteries either AA or any other arrangement you like than i got from using the cars 12v system. I can't explain it, it just worked out that way for me.

RF8315R - Reciever
        RF40315T - 40m Transmitter
        RF40315T-x - 40m Transmitter with terminal block
        RF8315T - 8m Transmitter

This equipment is available here.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Marty, Thanks for the link to the former "Cheaper RFID" stuff. I have had very good luck with the "CheaperTronics" modules especially since I switched to Blades RFID plug-in. I modified my in-car transmitters; I replaced the button battery with 2 AA batteries. The button battery just could not handle cold weather. Now the transmitters will run for a year, no problem.

Steve Q
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

No problem Steve, I've had pretty much the same experience as you with the button batteries. After that I tried running them off the 12v car system, funny thing is I got more drop outs doing that. I've been using the good ole double A's ever since with no problems. Like you I get a year or more out of a set.
            Marty
            ------
            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
            Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Can you tell me more about your Bluetooth setup? I work with people with disabilities and many have limited or no hand function. Openning a locked external door is a common problem.

Daniel

Comment

Sorry, I missed this.

I just use my Bluetooth package to detect BT devices (normally phones however I also use a BT headset as a car transmitter.

Homeseer will then trigger events depending which device is detected.
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                  Wow, I don't think I would like to trust my house security with that hardware!

I use a bluetooth transmitter and receiver for my detection.
                  Jon,

Agreed, that's why I do not UNLOCK the mudroom door with anything automated :-)

In my last house, it only opened the garage door.

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I've had good luck with the legacy cheaper RFID stuff. One 12VDC transmitter device quit working after a few years and I just replaced it.

That said I am having an issue finding one in one automobile installed a few years back...didn't put it in the headliner...

Today I use them for status but wouldn't rely on them for any security related events.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                      Sorry, I missed this.

I just use my Bluetooth package to detect BT devices (normally phones however I also use a BT headset as a car transmitter.

Homeseer will then trigger events depending which device is detected.
                      Jon, so what did you do, sacrifice an old headset to wire it up to permanent power? This sounds like a great idea, assuming that you could use one of the devices where you can set a security code before doing the pairing. I would guess that then you could use it as a kind of way to authenticate it is really your own car. Or are you using it in a simpler way, like as long as the bluetooth signal is seen, it triggers your HS device (so without any kind of pairing done)?

Incidentally, I just use an additional Oregon Scientific sensor in the car to tell me if it is there or not. The only downside, is that it takes the system a few minutes to realize the sensor is missing when the car leaves. As I only use the car sensing to make sure things like the alarm got set, and etc. this is not a problem though, and I don't need any kind of extra "security."

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                        Jon, so what did you do, sacrifice an old headset to wire it up to permanent power? This sounds like a great idea, assuming that you could use one of the devices where you can set a security code before doing the pairing. I would guess that then you could use it as a kind of way to authenticate it is really your own car. Or are you using it in a simpler way, like as long as the bluetooth signal is seen, it triggers your HS device (so without any kind of pairing done)?
                        That is exactly right - however you cannot change the pairing code with my particular headset. Most use common codes anyway. The security is increased by detecting the correct BT MAC address of the headset which then triggers Homeseer.
                        Jon

Comment

Hi,

Has anyone had a look at theese modules:-

http://www.rfdigital.com/?targetpage...filterpn=21733

they look amazing and do everything you could want out of the box. They have a built in UART for comms to the PC and to set one up for an RFID transmitter all you have to do is apply 3V to the module and it will automatically enter RFID mode retransmitting its unique 32 bit serial number every 2 seconds.

It has a built in antenna and the standard module has a 500 ft range with an optional antenna module with a 2000ft range.

They can also be used as transceivers to send and receive RS232 data etc, they also supply keyfobs which also have push buttons built in.

The basic modules are only $14.99 and would only need a battery to become RFID transmitters, the receiver would use a module and a max232 for example and thats it.

Cabbage

Comment

Wow - that is pretty good range. I'm watching their application videos now.
                            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I'm still utilizing the "cheaperRFID" stuff and its done OK but am open to trying something else.

Bluetooth would work maybe now with the automobiles in that they have BT connectivity.

Problem I've had with that is that BT transciever in the cars tends to get stuck in the "on mode" and drains the battery a bit (on the BMW's - think its still an OS issue with the BT modules). Then after removal of the phone and a bit of time the automobile BT shuts itself off.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X