No announcement yet.

Rain Today looks like it is an integer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you! I'll definitely install tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
      I just posted version .31 to the updater. This changes the Rain totals to 2 decimal places. Some providers may not provide rain totals.
      I installed the .31 update and induced some rain (poured a bit of water into the rain gauge) to get .02". This value appeared on my weather station, then was transmitted to WeatherUnderground

Click image for larger version

Name:	WU-Precip.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	1179080

and pulled back into HS3. the only problem is I'm seeing .2" instead of .02".

Name:	WXML-Precip.png
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1179081

[EDIT]
      I ran a TTS event to read out the last hour and day's rainfall. For the day it said "zero point zero two inches", so the TTS is correct for the rainfall today, but the TTS WXML Speak Item for Last Hour read out 0.15".

Name:	WXML-Speak-Log.png
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	1179082

While trying to figure this all out and editing this post, I went back to look at the HS3 wXML devices and both are again at 0 both on the device screen, and when I drill down into the Advanced screen on the device. Oddly, the event I wrote now says "No rain in the past hour" (could be because it was before the start of this hour when I induced the reading), and the day's rainfall still says "zero point zero two".

Name:	WXML-Devices.png
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1179088
      Last edited by dzee; June 13, 2015, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I have some errands to run this afternoon so I won't be able to look at it until this evening.

In the HomeSeer HS3/Data/weatherXML folder look for a file called WUCondition1.xml. Grab that file so it doesn't get overwritten.

Look in the file, or email it to me and I'll check, to see what the values are for the rain totals.
        Look for the key precip_today_in and precip_1hr_in. Those values are what weatherXML is reading.

However, since you have your own weather station, it might be better to look into a way to just grab your values rather than going through weather underground first.

--
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I grabbed the file, and here is what's in it:

<precip_1hr_string>0.00 in ( 0 mm)</precip_1hr_string>
          <precip_1hr_in>0.00</precip_1hr_in>
          <precip_1hr_metric> 0</precip_1hr_metric>
          <precip_today_string>0.02 in (1 mm)</precip_today_string>
          <precip_today_in>0.02</precip_today_in>
          <precip_today_metric>1</precip_today_metric>

Edit: I figured that wasn't going to help with regard to the hourly total, so I went out and put another 2 clicks (.02) of water into the rain gauge and now I have this in the WUCondition1.xml file (file attached):

<precip_1hr_string>0.19 in ( 5 mm)</precip_1hr_string>
          <precip_1hr_in>0.19</precip_1hr_in>
          <precip_1hr_metric> 5</precip_1hr_metric>
          <precip_today_string>0.04 in (1 mm)</precip_today_string>
          <precip_today_in>0.04</precip_today_in>
          <precip_today_metric>1</precip_today_metric>

Note that the hourly is either coming in incorrectly from WU, or is being written into this XML file incorrectly. It says 0.19 in ( 5 mm). While both of those figures are the right conversion to each other, the actual rain value in the past hour is .02" (.508mm) and the new daily total is .04" which would be 1.016mm.

Weather TTS just read this:

Name:	newrainfall-log.png
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1179090
          Last edited by dzee; June 13, 2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

The xml file is downloaded direct from Weather Underground, so what you see in the xml file is what WU is sending.

I've made a couple of changes and will try to get some time today to upload the new version. Have some errands and then a birthday party for my 2 year old grandson today so most likely will be tomorrow.
            --
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone
            Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

The xml file is downloaded direct from Weather Underground, so what you see in the xml file is what WU is sending.

I've made a couple of changes and will try to get some time today to upload the new version. Have some errands and then a birthday party for my 2 year old grandson today so most likely will be tomorrow.
              Today, we had a short but heavy rain, and the house announced the rainfall just as I was looking at the WeatherUnderground site. I have HS/WeatherXML set to say the wxmlrainh_1 variable which is the last hour's rainfall. It said the last hour's rain was 0.29" which showed on the WU site as the RATE of rainfall. Mystery solved. It looks like WU and WeatherXML are putting the rate of rainfall in as the past hour's rain. I guess I'll just change the TTS to say "rate of rainfall".

Comment

Did this ever get resolved? I still see an integer for the "Rain Today" device and a floating point value for wxmlRainT_1.
                For example right now I see
                wxmlRainT_1 = 0.01
                and
                Rain Today = 0

Would be great to have this sorted so I can use the device in a rule to disable sprinklers.

Thanks,
                Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by geoffb View Post
                  Did this ever get resolved? I still see an integer for the "Rain Today" device and a floating point value for wxmlRainT_1.
                  For example right now I see
                  wxmlRainT_1 = 0.01
                  and
                  Rain Today = 0

Would be great to have this sorted so I can use the device in a rule to disable sprinklers.

Thanks,
                  Geoff
                  Go to the weatherXML Units page. At the bottom there are dropdowns to control how many decimal places you want for the different units.
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Go to the weatherXML Units page. At the bottom there are dropdowns to control how many decimal places you want for the different units.
                    Too easy! Thanks! Note that it seems to still have slightly odd behavior:

"Round rain totals to" was already set to a value of "1 decimal place". The current wxmlRainT_1 shows 0.06 but I was getting "0" as a value in the device.

Changing the drop-down to a value "2 decimal places" then changes the device to give me a value of 0.1.

Changing the drop-down to a value "3 decimal places" still leaves the device value at 0.1.

I don't think I'm running the beta, though?

Thanks,
                    Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by geoffb View Post
                      Too easy! Thanks! Note that it seems to still have slightly odd behavior:

"Round rain totals to" was already set to a value of "1 decimal place". The current wxmlRainT_1 shows 0.06 but I was getting "0" as a value in the device.

Changing the drop-down to a value "2 decimal places" then changes the device to give me a value of 0.1.

Changing the drop-down to a value "3 decimal places" still leaves the device value at 0.1.

I don't think I'm running the beta, though?

Thanks,
                      Geoff
                      No matter how many decimals you select it won't add any zeros onto the end of the number. You might check in the xml file and see which is correct between .1 and .06
                      --
                      Jeff Farmer
                      HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
                      X