Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about Geo fencing and using a power relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about Geo fencing and using a power relay?

I have two questions.

1. I'm currently using an IFTTT recipe to open my driveway gate via a cell phone when I enter a geo fenced area on Google maps. so basically, when I arrive to my house, the gate is open for me and closes after a set period of time. It works fine a lot of the time, but other times it can take from 1 minute two half an hour to work which is a bit of a bummer. Maybe it's the cell network, who knows.
    Anyway, I was wondering if anything can be done on homeseer to achieve more consistant results?

2. I'd like to be able to open or close my gate internally via alexa. I have 3 handsets in the house and normally you would push a button on one of the hand sets. The wiring for all 3 handsets terminate into a junction box in my comms room, right beside my alexa and homeseer setup.
    I was thinking of a z-wave power relay but maybe thats a bit over the top for something so simple. Basically, I'd like to be able to say, "Alexa open/close the gate"
    I should add, I'm also using OMNIPRO 2 and a centralite system if that helps.

Just wondering if anyone has done something similar?

You are more likely to get a useful response to your questions if you post either in the General Discussion forum or in the IFTTT forum. This forum is supposed to be about issues with the message board itself rather than with HomeSeer.

That said, I also see unacceptable delays with IFTTT, as do others. You will also find that there are quite a variety of strategies that people have used to detect their arrival and departure. They are not posted in a consolidated place, though, so it will take some searching and links from others to find them.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by spagettilegs View Post
      I have two questions.

1. I'm currently using an IFTTT recipe to open my driveway gate via a cell phone when I enter a geo fenced area on Google maps. so basically, when I arrive to my house, the gate is open for me and closes after a set period of time. It works fine a lot of the time, but other times it can take from 1 minute two half an hour to work which is a bit of a bummer. Maybe it's the cell network, who knows.
      Anyway, I was wondering if anything can be done on homeseer to achieve more consistant results?

2. I'd like to be able to open or close my gate internally via alexa. I have 3 handsets in the house and normally you would push a button on one of the hand sets. The wiring for all 3 handsets terminate into a junction box in my comms room, right beside my alexa and homeseer setup.
      I was thinking of a z-wave power relay but maybe thats a bit over the top for something so simple. Basically, I'd like to be able to say, "Alexa open/close the gate"
      I should add, I'm also using OMNIPRO 2 and a centralite system if that helps.

Just wondering if anyone has done something similar?
      What is closing the gate? IFTTT or HS3. You could use a manual trigger from your phone to close the gate, or you could use an additional event to close it if it is open for X minutes.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

We use PHLocation to report our location and GeoFence transitions directly to HomeSeer. It is nearly instant. PHLocation (linked below) can post directly to your system using DDNS or through MyHS. For iOS clients it can directly poll iCloud which has about a minute of potential latency.

We use PHLocation and the GeoFency app on our iPhones to post entry and exit of our home fence. It is never delayed by more than a few seconds. We use a combination of a GeoFence, an iBeacon in each vehicle and motion sensors in the driveway to determine if the garage door should open. I am always greeted by an opening door when I pull into the driveway.

For control of your gate, I would probably use an Arduino with enigmatheater's plug-in (also linked below). A quick and easy solution to add 6 digital inputs, 6 analog inputs and 6 outputs is with a Velleman KA05 shield on an Arduino. You can also interface a relay board like this. We use 4 Arduinos for a total of about 80 inputs and outputs.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
        X