Z-wave Door lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave Door lock

I have the attached picture of my door locks. What would you suggest to replace those with a Z-wave lock? I live in North Massachusetts where the clime there is very cold in winter. I would like something modern looking.
    Attached Files

Look here : http://www.z-wave.com/shop-z-wave-sm...ry/smart-locks

The choice is yours!.

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thanks, by looking at my door I can not figure out if I need a deadbolt or a lever. I think they are too close to each other. I know there are also different brands, try to figure out what brand people prefer and which I should stay away from.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
        Thanks, by looking at my door I can not figure out if I need a deadbolt or a lever. I think they are too close to each other. I know there are also different brands, try to figure out what brand people prefer and which I should stay away from.
        There are a lot of videos here : https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+a+z+wave+lock but quite often doors seem to be standard regionally. Compare with/ search hardware stores near you.

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

I wanted to get more of an opinion from all of you.....

Comment

Perosnally I would get a deadbolt lock and get rid of the locking bottom and put something like this in.

https://www.focuscamera.com/kwikset-...in-nickel.html

Or if its a back door I would probley just leave the bottom and install a Deadbolt in the top. Personally on my front and back i don't have a locking bottom lock on either. Just auto lock the deadbolts when I leave.

Comment

Hard to tell, but I don't think the deadbolt is too close to the lever to use a Z-Wave. I agree, get rid of the locking lever, replace it with a non-locking one, and just secure it with a deadbolt. I have been happy with the Kwikset keypad deadbolt locks. The mechanism sits above the deadbolt, not below, so I don't think it should interfere with the lever operation.
              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I have the attached picture of my door locks. What would you suggest to replace those with a Z-wave lock? I live in North Massachusetts where the clime there is very cold in winter. I would like something modern looking.
                Ask this group of Yahoo's, and no telling what you'll find.
                Kwikset 910, Inverted 912

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                  Ask this group of Yahoo's, and no telling what you'll find.
                  Kwikset 910, Inverted 912

Front

Comment

I have used Schlage motorized deadbolts (BE468 / BE469) for about three years on the external doors. They work very well, though like most Z-wave locks they can be a pain to pair. Battery life is good on them. I use a matching Schlage handle for the entry lever (non-locking).

Judging by your picture, the bigger concern I would have is that with any of these locks that have an exposed unlocking lever, you are one broken pane of glass away from someone defeating your locks. Someone can knock out the door pane, reach right through, and unlock the door, which circumvents the entire purpose of the deadbolt. You may want to consider installing steel core entry doors with the deadbolts, and installing full length security strikes as well to make the doors as kick-proof as possible.

Barring that, you could at least apply anti-shatter film to the glass. I have not seen a Z-Wave deadbolt that uses a key on both sides, so I am not sure if they exist. That would be the normal installation on an exterior door with glass large enough to allow someone to reach through.

Comment

I've been using 2 Yale's locks, I think YRD220 with the touchscreen pad.
                      It's been years now and 2 years ago, my neighbor asked me to install it for him. So these 3 are deadbolts that are working flawlessly for years. And in Montreal we have cold winter! ;-)

Also I install 2 more for a friend but a model with lever. Almost 2 years and he's satisfied with them!

So I suggest it if you like the lock if it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Great feedback, thank you all. Feel free to add more comments end your own experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I went with similar locker YRD226ZW2605, thank you for your suggestion. Do you do anything special within HomeSeer, like scripts or events?

I know you need to program the codes within the Zwave under the device but I do not see a log of events that tells me when it was lock or unlocked and who unlocked it.

Thanks,
                          Aldo
                          Originally posted by 838Joel View Post
                          I've been using 2 Yale's locks, I think YRD220 with the touchscreen pad.
                          It's been years now and 2 years ago, my neighbor asked me to install it for him. So these 3 are deadbolts that are working flawlessly for years. And in Montreal we have cold winter! ;-)

Also I install 2 more for a friend but a model with lever. Almost 2 years and he's satisfied with them!

So I suggest it if you like the lock if it.

Comment

I went with similar locker YRD226ZW2605, thank you for your suggestion. Do you do anything special within HomeSeer, like scripts or events?

I know you need to program the codes within the Zwave under the device but I do not see a log of events that tells me when it was lock or unlocked and who unlocked it.

Thanks,
                            Aldo
                            I'm still newbie with HS and in transition from a Vera system.
                            So I can't tell you much since at the moment all my devices aren't included yet and my trial ended. So I need to by a license to keep going... And running out of time at the moment.
                            But as soon as resume my configuration project I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile some other folks here can surely help you, and me at the same time... [emoji39]
                            Joel

Comment

You can definitely count o this group, they are the best. Looking forward to sharing info with you if I make any progress.

Aldo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X