Kinect not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinect not working

I have an Xbox 360 Kinect sensor and the plugin configured in HS3 Pro running on a Windows 8.1 machine.

I can use the camera snapshot link to confirm that the camera is functioning and the microphone on the sensor can trigger actions through the HS3 speaker client.

I have configured a single zone just to test person recognition and have enabled both person and voice recognition. I am not able to get either the voice portion or the person recognition to respond. I have tried both the 1.7 and 1.8 drivers to no avail. Probably a simple fix but for someone totally new to the Kinect sensor, I am throwing my hands up in surrender.

Any suggestions?

Did you assign a over all area or you specified an area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by DD1 View Post
      I have an Xbox 360 Kinect sensor and the plugin configured in HS3 Pro running on a Windows 8.1 machine.

I can use the camera snapshot link to confirm that the camera is functioning and the microphone on the sensor can trigger actions through the HS3 speaker client.

I have configured a single zone just to test person recognition and have enabled both person and voice recognition. I am not able to get either the voice portion or the person recognition to respond. I have tried both the 1.7 and 1.8 drivers to no avail. Probably a simple fix but for someone totally new to the Kinect sensor, I am throwing my hands up in surrender.

Any suggestions?
      could you set the log level to Trace, then restart the plugin, then speak some of your voice commands, and post the logs here. Thanks

Comment

Logs

Well, I may or may not have this figured out. The TRACE level certainly did help show what is happening via the plugin. But before I did that, I thought I would look into the Control Panel in Windows and see what the Kinect properties were.

I found that I needed to adjust the input level on the Kinect to almost 100 to get it to respond. Further, I learned a bit about the Kinect sensor. There is a dead zone in front of the sensor where movement will not track. Even with a Z1 distance set to zero in the plugin, I may have to be three or more feet from the sensor in order for it to sense motion.

The logging stops unexpectedly but this may be due to the fact I am viewing the log via a WinBook client while walk testing the sensor. I may have the log open on the HS3 host machine and the WinBook at the same time and this may be the cause of the log stopping even though I can still turn devices on and off through the Kinect.

I still can't seem to get the Kinect to "confirm voice command". Is this an option through the Kinect plugin or is this a native HS3 feature for the speaker client only? I watched a video in one of the forum threads where someone was demonstrating their Kinect system. It appeared that Kinect voice commands where echoed back but it may be he had a wave file play as part of an event string that was initiated by the Kinect voice command.

Comment

here is the field of view of the kinect sensor:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	kinect_fieldofview.png
Views:	3
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1178772

so you have to be at least 2.6 feet from the sensor, and preferably at least 4 feet.

the kinect plugin does not automatically confirm voice commands (However this is on my TODO list) you have to play a wave file, or set a Speak action in your event.

you are the second user reporting the logging to stop unexpectedly, so there may be a bug there, could you tell me what are your logging settings?

Comment

But before I did that, I thought I would look into the Control Panel in Windows and see what the Kinect properties were. I found that I needed to adjust the input level on the Kinect to almost 100 to get it to respond.
            Spud, is this the way you adjust vol. in kinetic? Doesn't kinetic adjust volume on its own? Or you use the microphone wizard to adjust volume?

Where in windows do you you see the Kinect properties?
            Hector
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Log settings are pretty basic. My logging stopped after opening the log from a remote client and leaving it open in the remote client. At least that is the way I see it. May be a coincidence though.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                Spud, is this the way you adjust vol. in kinetic? Doesn't kinetic adjust volume on its own? Or you use the microphone wizard to adjust volume?

Where in windows do you you see the Kinect properties?
                Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound

Choose the Kinect and then click on the Configure Button
                Attached Files

Comment

Log settings are pretty basic. My logging stopped after opening the log from a remote client and leaving it open in the remote client. At least that is the way I see it. May be a coincidence though.
                  I was asking about the log settings specific to the kinect that you can see from the kinect config page? Do you use the log to file feature?
                  what version of the plugin do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                    I was asking about the log settings specific to the kinect that you can see from the kinect config page? Do you use the log to file feature?
                    what version of the plugin do you use?
                    Version 3.0.0.23 with 1.8 Kinect drivers

Can you explain what the log to file feature is as I don't have an option to do anything with logging within the Kinect plugin other than to set its log level. Is this a new feature in the 3.0.0.24 beta version?

Comment

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound

Choose the Kinect and then click on the Configure Button
                      Ok, but what should be the correct mic level?
                      Hector
                      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                        Ok, but what should be the correct mic level?
                        I suppose that would be user dependent... dependent upon the machine it is connected to, dependent on the room acoustics and mostly dependent on ignorance.

For all I know, there is an app that is buried in some HomeSeer folder that can be run to adjust all Kinect settings.

Comment

Problem is that if you have it very high, you will get distortion and that will also cause the HS not to hear you very well. That why I ask about the mic wizard, maybe spud can clearify this a bit.
                          Hector
                          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Version 3.0.0.23 with 1.8 Kinect drivers

Can you explain what the log to file feature is as I don't have an option to do anything with logging within the Kinect plugin other than to set its log level. Is this a new feature in the 3.0.0.24 beta version?
                            this is a feature introduced in version 3.0.0.30, see there:
                            http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162313

Comment

I suppose that would be user dependent... dependent upon the machine it is connected to, dependent on the room acoustics and mostly dependent on ignorance.
                              I think you're right this is very user dependent. Just use what works best for you.

Here is what Microsoft says about this:

If you notice the Kinect audio signal clipping in your application, or experience the Speech Platform SDK reporting AudioSignalProblemOccurred events use TooLoud audio input, set the microphone gain level to 3 on a scale of 100.
                              To set the correct gain value:
                              1. Open the Windows Control Panel, select Sound, then the Recording tab.
                              2. Select Kinect Microphone Array and then press the Properties button. Select the Levels tab.
                              3. Set the Microphone Array gain level to 3. (The default is 100.) Press OK and then OK.
                              https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn188692.aspx

For all I know, there is an app that is buried in some HomeSeer folder that can be run to adjust all Kinect settings.
                              there is no such thing...

Comment

Working...
                              X