www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > MyHS Remote Access Service

MyHS Remote Access Service Discussions regarding myHomeSeer Remote Access Service

Old June 25th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Seer Deluxe

same here, I upgraded to premium because i needed to access 2 systems, and the store indicated premium bandwidth which I would have expected to make the experience more reliable and snappier. Nope... still buggy, unreliable and slow.

I went back to just building up an openVPN to the 2 networks where the homeseer devices are.
Old June 25th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Seer Master

Well this is just a shame...
Old June 25th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Super Seer

I've stopped using it also. Unbelievably slow for the Web UI and HS3 Touch never works with it anymore, whether at home or away.
Old June 25th, 2015, 03:20 PM
OverSeer

myhs works very well - if you are an HST employee
They are closest to the server where it runs, so it will work well for them.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi2 (Raspbian)
62 Z-Wave Nodes, 162 Events, 293 Devices
UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler
Old June 25th, 2015, 04:26 PM
OverSeer

Here I utilize VPN. That said I am really used to the LTE connections now.

We went to a wedding a couple of weekends ago a couple hundred miles ago in a small town. Trying the VPN connection and it worked but the internet connection was very slow; much slower than even 3G. Guessing it might even have been GPRS (19k speeds).

Automator

Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom tabletop touchscreens

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.398 | HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

HS3 Plugins - a bunch
Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee
Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo
Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2
Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick
Firewall - PFSense
CCTV - Zoneminder

Audio - Russound - AB8SS

Old June 25th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Seer Deluxe

Be glad HS3 works with VPN and port forwarding. I made the switch after HSTouch being reliable about 10% of the time, now it's 99.9x% reliable unless the power is out at my house. HS3 is an awesome piece of home automation software but it seems the myHS service is the only piece of the package really lagging behind.
Old June 25th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Seer Master

Any HS3 VPN tutorials on how to setup around?
Old June 26th, 2015, 04:02 AM
Seer Deluxe

a correctly configured VPN is not at all specific to HS3. The biggest thing to decide is how you are going to implement it and if you have a firewall that supports it already. If you have a compatible firewall already setting up an SSL vpn is really pretty simple, but varies depending on your firewall. Many of the soho type routers include provisions for vpn, or you can run a software firewall for the purpose (monowall, smoothwall, pfsense). the nice part about doing this is that you are beefing up your perimeter security at the same time.

Personally, I use a distro called Untangle, which is a product trying to make it in the enterprise space, but they also have a community edition for free. basic perimeter and virus protection, openVPN and its a hell of a router for what it is. GUI works very well, and there isn't any hacking needed under the hood like some open source software firewalls. they have paid apps too and neat things like wan failover and load balancing, but that's overkill for a home setup.

It runs nicely on a small atom for a small network so it can be power efficient. Also has built in support for various dynamic dns providers so that part of the remote connection equation is handled for you too.

It is a bit of config to get it going, but once you have it setup, nothing beats it. your devices appear to be on your local lan wherever you are. Can access any network device just like you're on your home wifi but via LTE.
Old June 26th, 2015, 04:30 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceXp View Post
How are you connecting?
I concur with other vpn users above. I've used pfsense in the past and currently running ipfire on my firewall/router. I plan to try untangle or go back to pfsense, since i want failover system to handle 2 isp (and ipfire does not offer that out of the box).

Openvpn is great for android, linux, osx and windows. You can just load a config file in the client and everything will be automagically setup for you. For ios device, i think you need to split up the config file or create a keyfile separately then load that to the OS' key manager. There are a few extra steps. That's why i use PPTP when connecting with my iPad... (i know it's not recommended).

For those who don't want to run another 'computer' to handle their firewall/routing needs, you can probably flash your current router with dd-wrt or tomatousb firmware and get better performance, security, ui and more functionalities.. including said VPN services.
HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
For ios device, i think you need to split up the config file or create a keyfile separately then load that to the OS' key manager. There are a few extra steps.
Yep, I think you have to dump the certificates in slightly differently in openvpn on IOS, but the config files we get out of untangle go right in to those devices as well. I have about a dozen ios devices connecting back to several untangle units with ovpn and it is solid on that platform.

I'd certainly recommend taking a look at untangle if you don't need too many of their paid apps, the community stuff is great for a home network, the only drawback to their commercial product is that their licensing costs keep going up and up and it isn't nearly as great of a deal as it was a few years ago. OVPN on untangle is still a free app (and I would think has to stay that way due to licensing) but ipsec is a paid app, and really ipsec is one area where they are weak in my opinion.

I'm actually in the middle of deploying a beast of an untangle setup with vrrp failover between two separate untangle units, with wan failover between multihomed bgp peers and LTE wlan backup, should be a neat setup when completed -- and at about half the cost of what we were pitched by the usual brands in that space.
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNVM View Post
Yep, I think you have to dump the certificates in slightly differently in openvpn on IOS, but the config files we get out of untangle go right in to those devices as well. I have about a dozen ios devices connecting back to several untangle units with ovpn and it is solid on that platform.

I'd certainly recommend taking a look at untangle if you don't need too many of their paid apps, the community stuff is great for a home network, the only drawback to their commercial product is that their licensing costs keep going up and up and it isn't nearly as great of a deal as it was a few years ago. OVPN on untangle is still a free app (and I would think has to stay that way due to licensing) but ipsec is a paid app, and really ipsec is one area where they are weak in my opinion.

I'm actually in the middle of deploying a beast of an untangle setup with vrrp failover between two separate untangle units, with wan failover between multihomed bgp peers and LTE wlan backup, should be a neat setup when completed -- and at about half the cost of what we were pitched by the usual brands in that space.
Woah, what sort of bandwidth are you talking about there ??

I've been wanting to try untangle, I heard it's technically great (with sane defaults too) and wrapped in a nice and easy to use GUI; the main downside is the extra features are $$$ subscription. But checking out the basic (free) untangle, I think it's good enough for my home. Last time I used pfsense (2 years ago), it was quick, fast, robust, plenty of features, but there were some.. how to say.. unpainted rooms in the mansion. Ipfire is similar, except that it's simpler (less features) so what's there is more polished and user friendly.

Going back to the topic… is there anyone having great experience with MyHS??
Old June 26th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Seer Master

So this isn't going to be PNP,..... From the above, it appears that OpenVPN is going to be the best choice for a non-network guy?

We are 100% PC / Android house..
Old June 26th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Seer Master

Pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceXp View Post
So this isn't going to be PNP,..... From the above, it appears that OpenVPN is going to be the best choice for a non-network guy?

We are 100% PC / Android house..
Sure... what modem/router do you use? I think some wifi router brands (asus?) may have openvpn build in. Otherwise, you can flash your router's firmware with one that comes with openvpn (dd-wrt, tomato, openwrt).

If you have a synology nas, they have openvpn 'app' too, with 1 click install from their app server.

Running openvpn on the two options above probably are the path of least resistance.. since those two are already always on, and fairly easy to setup.

Only if you want to run a dedicated machine for firewall/routing/openvpn, will you need to look into those distributions mentioned above (untangle, pfsense, ipfire, astaro, etc).
Old June 26th, 2015, 09:36 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasonjr View Post
myhs works very well - if you are an HST employee
They are closest to the server where it runs, so it will work well for them.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
Not exactly Rob. Rupp is down south somewhere (Alabama?). the rest of us are in NH. The myHS tunnel server is in Missouri.

website | products | support | youtube
Old June 26th, 2015, 09:50 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

If its slow, help me out by telling me what you are using for HS3 (Software/controller/Linux), and if you see it slow with with the web or HS3 or both, and where you are located. Also, is the total page load slow, or does it load most of the page fast but stall on some items? Use chrome and right click anywhere on the page and select "Inspect Element", then select the Network tab, then reload the page. It will display times for downloading all items on the page as well as tell you which items are cached. Most things should be cached.

Web access and HSTouch access connect in totally different ways, so if they are both slow, I suspect the issue has to do with the connection from the HS system to the service. I have some diagnostics that I can run to test that connection.

I use it all the time, both web and HSTouch and its very fast, so I would like to know why its slow for some. As Mark mentioned, we are in NH but the actual hosting server is in the Missouri and it has a 1GB direct Internet connection so I don't believe our location has anything to do with speed.

website | products | support | youtube
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:16 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post
Not exactly Rob. Rupp is down south somewhere (Alabama?). the rest of us are in NH. The myHS tunnel server is in Missouri.
Yep, I'm down south too. I'm not a networking guy, but a simple tracert shows that I bounce from New Orleans, to Marietta, to Virginia, to New York, to MA, then, I assume to MO.

Your tracerts probably contain much fewer hops.
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:46 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Check ping times, and note that the service that handles the traffic is at connected2.homeseer.com. myhs.homeseer.com only handles the login, and that server is in NH. I get ping times of 44ms from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasonjr View Post
Yep, I'm down south too. I'm not a networking guy, but a simple tracert shows that I bounce from New Orleans, to Marietta, to Virginia, to New York, to MA, then, I assume to MO.

Your tracerts probably contain much fewer hops.
Old June 26th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
Check ping times, and note that the service that handles the traffic is at connected2.homeseer.com. myhs.homeseer.com only handles the login, and that server is in NH. I get ping times of 44ms from here.
From NYC on a fat corporate pipe I am pinging connected2.homeseer.com in 29ms - which is great.

When I load my main device page ~300 items via my DDNS it takes about 2 seconds to complete, including displaying all images.

When I do the same via myhs (using same HS3 login) I am already 12 minutes in and it's still pulling images AND it's pulling the old device images too.

So, 2 tabs in the same Chrome session, using the same HS3 login, requesting the same data is displaying different images and at least 12 mins different in pull-down time

I'll try from my iPad avoiding the corporate network in a minute
Old June 26th, 2015, 11:11 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
From NYC on a fat corporate pipe I am pinging connected2.homeseer.com in 29ms - which is great.
I get ping times of 58ms here, so that is good...

What DNS servers are you guys using? Would google's DNS work faster/better?
Old June 26th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
Pc

Sure... what modem/router do you use? I think some wifi router brands (asus?) may have openvpn build in. Otherwise, you can flash your router's firmware with one that comes with openvpn (dd-wrt, tomato, openwrt).

If you have a synology nas, they have openvpn 'app' too, with 1 click install from their app server.

Running openvpn on the two options above probably are the path of least resistance.. since those two are already always on, and fairly easy to setup.

Only if you want to run a dedicated machine for firewall/routing/openvpn, will you need to look into those distributions mentioned above (untangle, pfsense, ipfire, astaro, etc).
1) I'm using a FIOS router, and I don't think it has any VPN abilities.

2) No synology NAS.

3) Can I use my HS3/Blue Iris machine to setup openvpn? Windows 8.1 i5