www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > MyHS Remote Access Service

MyHS Remote Access Service Discussions regarding myHomeSeer Remote Access Service

Old June 26th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasonjr View Post

What DNS servers are you guys using? Would google's DNS work faster/better?
What I meant was that I am using a Dynamic DNS service to resolve my home IP from my own domain. I use sitelutions.com for this.
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
From NYC on a fat corporate pipe I am pinging connected2.homeseer.com in 29ms - which is great.

When I load my main device page ~300 items via my DDNS it takes about 2 seconds to complete, including displaying all images.

When I do the same via myhs (using same HS3 login) I am already 12 minutes in and it's still pulling images AND it's pulling the old device images too.

So, 2 tabs in the same Chrome session, using the same HS3 login, requesting the same data is displaying different images and at least 12 mins different in pull-down time

I'll try from my iPad avoiding the corporate network in a minute
So, using my iPad on a Verizon MiFi my DDNS access pulled up my 300 item device page in about 6 seconds, including all the correct (new style) images.

Using myhs it started pulling data, then completely froze the tab. Had to kill the Chrome app.

Back on the corporately connected desktop, I cleared the browser image cache and restarted Chrome. Started again with my direct connection and it was complete, as previously, in a couple of seconds with all correct images.

Tried myhs again and it pulled up the main data grid a bit quicker (it seems), but it was still pulling the old images and eventually stopped even trying to pull the remaining ones. PH Location and WeatherXml seem to be the worst here and have mostly pulled none at all.

Looking at the Inspect -> Network diagnostics it still showed it sending POST commands for about 18 minutes but some of these are showing 40+ second latency to a 276 byte request. Other times it was taking 800 - 3000ms for the same. After about 20mins it seems to show it sending 0 byte POST requests and they all get left in a pending state.

From my directly connected tab, it's sending larger POST requests (400-900 bytes) and the latency shows consistently in the 40-70ms range
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceXp View Post
1) I'm using a FIOS router, and I don't think it has any VPN abilities.

2) No synology NAS.

3) Can I use my HS3/Blue Iris machine to setup openvpn? Windows 8.1 i5
I think you have the same challenges that I have with FiOS and trying to set up a VPN. Does anyone have this working whilst maintaining all the FiOS TV capabilities (remote DVR access, VOD, Guide) etc.

I bought a Netgear FW/VPN box a couple of years ago and was not able to get this working.

I have searched around a bit more over the last few days and I am still not seeing a way to set this up, but I am sure someone has done it!
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Seer Master

Well that's not good...
Old June 26th, 2015, 02:07 PM
OverSeer

Why not just run OpenVPN on your server? No reason you can't install it on Windows 8.1.

Alternately, can you turn off the firewall and DHCP on the fios thingie?
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Seer Deluxe

fios is an odd duck when video is on it too. Their router needs to be first in line from the ONT to keep VOD/callerid/guide, etc working. If you add your router behind theirs you get into a double nat situation which is never friendly to inbound traffic. If you ditch their router and place yours directly off the ONT (if you're even setup with a cat5 drop instead of coax) it will break guide/vod/etc. there are about 10 ways to arrange stuff and none are a complete win, and all add complexity, make support a hassle, and impair some level of service.

VZW is pretty intent on keeping fios a consumption platform, enabling the ability to add "real" network gear easily moves away from that position.

I've gone the double nat route once on a site to site vpn and it worked, granted, the nat/nat location was a small office and they didn't do a lot of the things you would expect nat traversal issues with (xbox/psn/etc).

Back on the original topic:

I haven't snooped much into how myhs works, but how are the calls being made from the local hs machine back to the hs server? is any of it done in the clear? if so, maybe its a traffic shaping/ IDS thing where some isp's don't like it.

Saying its a bandwidth or server loading issue at the myhs end doesn't make sense if its good for some/ bad for others.

Saying its a local bandwidth / slow upload issue on the client side doesn't make sense if vpn works fast but myhs is slow.

the only difference there being the local vpn wrapped up in crypto to keep the isp's IDS/ shaping out of play for sure.
Old June 26th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Seer Master

Re: VIOS & double nat
I'm actually on similar boat. My isp gives me a cable modem + router that i can't replace, so i'm forced to put my ipfire box behind it. I setup ipfire ip as DMZ on the cable modem and run openvpn on it. I even have pptp running on another windows vm behind the network and the ipfire box portforwards to it.

Re: rjh
Does it matter what platform HS3 runs on in this context? I'm running HS3 on Windows 8.1. I'm experiencing similar issues as cheeryfool et al. The page header (pulldown menu etc) loads, then the connection just froze as it's trying to display the devices.

Re: HS3 web interface
How many connections are opened for a single page display?? When i have HS3 web opened on my iPad and left it for awhile (hours, days) and came back to open it.. the login has expired and iOS Safari cannot safe/cache basic auth login. So it would prompt for login/password maybe 2 dozen times.

Btw, google's optimization tool can highlight issues on a webpage and how to optimize them:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights
HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum
Old June 27th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Seer Master

My ping here in Norway on fiber connection is around 120ms. Myhs is useless here, way to slow. The only thing we use it for is IFTTT. DDNS/ISP address is the best and fastest way.
Old July 16th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Seer Deluxe

Can anyone tell me if it's down right now?

I've been able to connect earlier today, but not for the last 10 or 15 minutes.

doug
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Seer Master

I tried connecting earlier but of course couldn't. Most of time the problem is in the connected2 server.. sits there waiting for response. ..

Being a FiOS customer. I need for this service to work better.
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:18 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
I tried connecting earlier but of course couldn't. Most of time the problem is in the connected2 server.. sits there waiting for response. ..

If you do not want to depend on a third party service as myHS is your best bet is to simply connect directly to your router. If you do not want to remember an ipadress you can get a domain service for around 10-12 dollars a year.
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:30 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
If you do not want to depend on a third party service as myHS is your best bet is to simply connect directly to your router.
I think a lot of us would like, and frankly expect, a 3rd party service, especially one that makes it easy to access multiple systems, but it seems like myhs and its reliability is never a priority for HST. That's a shame since it seems like it would be a good reoccurring revenue stream for your company. Every time this thread or others like it get bumped I always have a glimmer of hope that this service might actually be getting some attention and fixing, but alas, its just the usual "works fine for us, move on if it doesn't for you."
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:35 AM
Seer Master

This is why I want the SSL connection to my HS3 Linux install. . .
Old July 17th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
If you do not want to depend on a third party service as myHS is your best bet is to simply connect directly to your router. If you do not want to remember an ipadress you can get a domain service for around 10-12 dollars a year.
No matter how I try, I cannot create a VPN connection with the FiOS router in play without loosing something. Verizon refuses to split my Internet service (provide Ethernet line from ONT) from coax.

It appears to be a fairly common problem with FiOS, and the solutions that sometimes work are incredibly complex.
Old July 17th, 2015, 10:15 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNVM View Post
I think a lot of us would like, and frankly expect, a 3rd party service, especially one that makes it easy to access multiple systems, but it seems like myhs and its reliability is never a priority for HST. That's a shame since it seems like it would be a good reoccurring revenue stream for your company. Every time this thread or others like it get bumped I always have a glimmer of hope that this service might actually be getting some attention and fixing, but alas, its just the usual "works fine for us, move on if it doesn't for you."
If it's not working, and if it's also between 9am and 5pm EST, pick up the phone and call us. That way, we have some chance of troubleshooting the problem in real time. If we can't replicate the problem or identify it, we can't fix it.

website | products | support | youtube
Old July 17th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post
If it's not working, and if it's also between 9am and 5pm EST, pick up the phone and call us. That way, we have some chance of troubleshooting the problem in real time. If we can't replicate the problem or identify it, we can't fix it.
Not working now, tried calling @ 1:05pm ES, and everyone was in a meeting.

Here is a screen shot of the element inspector in Chrome...
Attached Images

Old July 17th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Seer Master

Wow, that's a pretty bad screen shot... Useless..
Old July 17th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Seer Master

Still cannot connect via web browser, but Touch works fine..

Here is another attempt at a screen shot...
Attached Images

Old July 17th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Seer Master

Called again @ 1:16 EST, still in meeting.....
Old July 17th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Seer Master

And now it's back up....