www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > MyHS Remote Access Service

MyHS Remote Access Service Discussions regarding myHomeSeer Remote Access Service

Old December 28th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Seer Deluxe

Windows 10
300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
5 CT-100 tstats
Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls
Serial Rain8Net Pro with 8 zones
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
Windows 10

Is it pro or home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 28th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Seer

What I have observed is that HS will bind to anything other than the local default IP in windows. For this reason I had to uninstall Hyper-V since it has its own virtual adapter and private network. Local access started working after this. I have also seen HS bind to my VPN adapters. This happens even though the web server is bound to local IP.

Old December 28th, 2017, 06:01 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromuman View Post
What I have observed is that HS will bind to anything other than the local default IP in windows. For this reason I had to uninstall Hyper-V since it has its own virtual adapter and private network. Local access started working after this. I have also seen HS bind to my VPN adapters. This happens even though the web server is bound to local IP.

You should need to use the binding option at all unless you have multiple network cards or running in a virtual environment.
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Seer Deluxe

Kerat, it is windows10 home. It looks like I am the only user and hold admin rights, but not positive.
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Seer Deluxe

Kerat, I got logged in as admin and now have windows firewall advanced security open. Let me see if I can figure this out before you waste anymore time on me. I'll let you know shortly.
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Seer Deluxe

Kerat, I set up the rule and double checked settings, all correct and enabled. Turn on public firewall, didn't work. Turn off pubic firewall only (private still on), I can get in. I am noticing that only the public network shows to be connected to my LAN, while the private network is not connected to anything...is that typical?
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Seer Deluxe

Kerat, I set up the rule and double checked settings, all correct and enabled. Turn on public firewall, didn't work. Turn off pubic firewall only (private still on), I can get in. I am noticing that only the public network shows to be connected to my LAN, while the private network is not connected to anything...is that typical?
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Seer Deluxe

Kerat, you might have some catching up to do, see the several messages before. I noticed in the inbound rules that there are two rules for HS3 private and 2 rules for HS3 public. As to each of the private rules, both allowed access for HS3.exe. However, one allowed the connections, while the other blocked the connections, one for udp and one for TCP. When I changed the blocked rule to allow, suddenly I have access. The same was true of the two public rules, one allowed connections and one blocked connections. Are these typical rules that should be allowed? Well it seems to have fixed my problem, I don't want to open up my computer unreasonably.
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:28 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
Kerat, you might have some catching up to do, see the several messages before. I noticed in the inbound rules that there are two rules for HS3 private and 2 rules for HS3 public. As to each of the private rules, both allowed access for HS3.exe. However, one allowed the connections, while the other blocked the connections, one for udp and one for TCP. When I changed the blocked rule to allow, suddenly I have access. The same was true of the two public rules, one allowed connections and one blocked connections. Are these typical rules that should be allowed? Well it seems to have fixed my problem, I don't want to open up my computer unreasonably.

Interesting, was the UDP inbound rule blocked in both the private and public firewall zone?

Old December 28th, 2017, 10:34 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerat View Post
Interesting, was the UDP inbound rule blocked in both the private and public firewall zone?

I did not look closely, but I think the public rules of both UDP and TCP were turned off.

Old December 29th, 2017, 12:05 AM
Seer Master

Cant connect locally

Ok, so windows firewall divides rules by network types (domain (if you have it, it is because you are on a corporate network and are connected to a domain), private (your home network, and public (networks you don't trust like guest networks and only need access to the Internet) to determine what to allow through the firewall and when. This is meant for laptops and tablets that move around and may connect to guest networks where you would not want the computer to be exposed to potential threats.

It sounds like your computer put your home network in the public network type and this broke connectivity on your local LAN. See the following link for a quick run down on how to change network types.

https://tinkertry.com/how-to-change-...lic-to-private

Last edited by Kerat; December 29th, 2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old December 29th, 2017, 12:21 AM
Seer Deluxe

Kerat, thank you for walking me through this, I was at my wits end. For your patient help, I award you the Elias Medal of Service (Elias helps me with various things...you should feel honored).
Old December 29th, 2017, 12:26 AM
Seer Master

I am glad you got it worked out, and thank you for the prestigious honor.