This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Service - Running as a service is not built into HS3

For some reason, I'm not seeing where to install HS3 as a service. Is this not available anymore?

Originally posted by Sireone View Post
    For some reason, I'm not seeing where to install HS3 as a service. Is this not available anymore?
    This option was removed as there were too many issues/conflicts/driver problems involved with running the software as a service. There may be 3rd party tools available that would allow this but it is no longer in the program.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

This just Beta or the release version as well??

If the release version, it'll be back to FireDaemon for me...

Rob
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

It's gone for good.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

We found that running HS2 as a service came with a number of issues with plugins and such.

As a result, we decided not to support this option for HS3.

That being said, it is possible to run HS3 as a service in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192

We make no guarantees on how well this might work.
          Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Am I wrong in assuming the Linux version will not be a daemon then either? Will it require a user session / GUI to run?
            Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
              Am I wrong in assuming the Linux version will not be a daemon then either? Will it require a user session / GUI to run?
              Will be pretty disappointing if that's the case. There was a great opportunity to fix the issues with HS2 running as a service, and the biggest one I know of, plugin installers running with a GUI, was already addressed in the HS3 SDK. If this can be reintroduced it will open up many more possibilities for embedded controllers and pro installers.
              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I always assumed you needed it to run as a service to make sure that it would always start up on a reboot, and not have to be "logged in" to run it. Is that not the case? I can't imagine people aren't expecting that kind of functionality. This is a smart group with high expectations. I am clearly missing out on something cooler. What is it??? Is there another way to do this without having to have a user account be logged in all the time?

Comment

I've been running as a service using Fire Daemon from day 1 for just that reason alone... When I make the move to HS3, I'll be running HS3 the same way.

Rob
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

HS3 Service

I think the only challenge with running as a service was it you were using speech recognition or the speaker client on the server. Access to audio services required an active user session.

I too would far prefer a headless server knowing the service would reliably start as a service on every boot. I don't want to run my HA system on a desktop OS.
                    Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

So, I used sc.exe and it successfully added the service. But when I start the service, it eventually dies saying something to the effect that "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".

Oddly, I was able to access the HS3 web interface and navigate it for about 15 seconds, but then it stopped. So, I think the new service started correctly, but Windows didn't see it that way, and killed it.

I set it up using this

C:\Users\Administrator>sc create HS3Service binPath= "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\HS3.exe"

Thoughts?

Comment

No "auto start" on boot in HS3

I just upgraded (paid) to HS3 and have been running HS2 as a service for 7 years. Seems to me that a lack of an auto-start feature on a home control product is a pretty major oversight.

This thing controls core functions of the home. My furnace and hot water heater do not require manual intervention when restarted. When a Light is in the on position and the power goes out and restarts, the light returns to "on."

I am not suggesting that supporting the service mode is the solution, but an auto re-start without requiring a manual log-in and application start is an absolute requirement.

Also, I accidentally logged out of my computer with HS3 running, forgetting that this will shut down the application too.

Simply unacceptable.

Comment

MControl is rated higher, and comes with a native service

Come on guys... fix this.

Please reply back with your plans.

Comment

HS3 Service

I haven't figured out how to reliably get it to start either. I'm using auto login and startup items but something halts it (perhaps because the Run as Admin flag is checked... Not sure)

Comment

HS3 Refund

If they won't fix this, I am going to request a refund on my upgrade. This is a major architectural oversight, in my opinion.

This is "Home Automation" software. Where in the process of having to "manually log-in and launch the application" is "automation" provided?

The recommended remedy offered is a wonky (technical term) work around and unnacceptable.

Comment

Working...
                              X