No announcement yet.

Arduino Yun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Spark Core was in the mail when I got home today!

Hope I can find some time to hook it up this weekend.....

Comment

Arduino Tre: some similarity to the Yun and yet significantly different

Received an arduino yun and will be using it to do some prototyping on a project next week. Afterward, just for grins, I'm going to try hooking the Yun to a USB webcam to do timelapse photos. http://neuroballs.com/2014/01/how-to...ed-cat-camera/ gives a short sketch for the Yun that allegedly does exactly that. Maybe I can tweak it to become a dashcam for my wife's car.

Because I first heard about the Yun from mbdirtfarmer (post #1 of this thread), hopefully I can return the favor with this link to the description of the upcoming arduino Tre: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardTre. The Tre is scheduled for release this spring. The description claims it has 100x the processing power of the Uno and the Leonardo. Would be interesting if someone who knows Zeer can compare/contrast the Tre with Zeer's hardware platform. If the Zeer is easy to port to the Tre's Linux processor, then the Tre would offer yet another avenue for tight integration between HomeSeer and Arduino.

Regardless, it looks like the Tre will likely kill the Raspberry Pi unless the Pi does some leapfrogging of its own.
      Last edited by NeverDie; January 22, 2014, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
        Received an arduino yun and will be using it to do some prototyping on a project next week. Afterward, just for grins, I'm going to try hooking the Yun to a USB webcam to do timelapse photos. http://neuroballs.com/2014/01/how-to...ed-cat-camera/ gives a short sketch for the Yun that allegedly does exactly that. Maybe I can tweak it to become a dashcam for my wife's car.

Because I first heard about the Yun from mbdirtfarmer (post #1 of this thread), hopefully I can return the favor with this link to the description of the upcoming arduino Tre: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardTre. The Tre is scheduled for release this spring. The description claims it has 100x the processing power of the Uno and the Leonardo. Would be interesting if someone who knows Zeer can compare/contrast the Tre with Zeer's hardware platform. If the Zeer is easy to port to the Tre's Linux processor, then the Tre would offer yet another avenue for tight integration between HomeSeer and Arduino.

Regardless, it looks like the Tre will likely kill the Raspberry Pi unless the Pi does some leapfrogging of its own.
        Interesting device this Tre, I am not sure it will kill the Raspberry Pi though as Arduino products are not known for being particularly cheap (with the cost of an uno the same as a RPi model A) and I expect this won't be either. I'll put a guess on it being twice the cost of an uno if not more. Being as though the R-Pi was always built with price in mind I think that is what will keep it going, there is such an interest and support network in it now I just don't see anything knocking it off the shelf. That's not to say it does not have a limited shelf life as it clearly does but I am willing to bet behind the scenes the R-Pi foundation are probably very busy at looking at a Model C/D/E to move on with the success.

Comment

What about the ODroid-U3 (http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php)?

1.7GHz Quad-Core processor 2 GB RAM
          HDMI
          LAN
          USB

all for $59

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            Interesting device this Tre, I am not sure it will kill the Raspberry Pi though as Arduino products are not known for being particularly cheap (with the cost of an uno the same as a RPi model A) and I expect this won't be either. I'll put a guess on it being twice the cost of an uno if not more. Being as though the R-Pi was always built with price in mind I think that is what will keep it going, there is such an interest and support network in it now I just don't see anything knocking it off the shelf. That's not to say it does not have a limited shelf life as it clearly does but I am willing to bet behind the scenes the R-Pi foundation are probably very busy at looking at a Model C/D/E to move on with the success.
            You've convinced me that "kill" won't be immediate, as in "killed dead in its tracks." After all, if different PC motherboard manufacturers (ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock, Intel, etc) have survived decades of competition, maybe Pi will too. Arduino has a considerable clone following, but maybe the Pi will too. It's still early in the game, and we (as the users) all stand to benefit from the competition. Hopefully Intel still believes that only the paranoid survive and will do more than test the water with Galileo... I also hope Intel (or AMD or TI or ...) does more to stir the pot than just buy an existing player, but that could easily happen and affect the dynamics also.

At the same time, the Tre clearly puts Arduino and Pi onto a path of more direct competition than how they were positioned previously.
            Last edited by NeverDie; January 22, 2014, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Tre looks cool. Will wait and see what kind of Linux and community support it receives. It has all the I/O that the Pi lacks without addon's.

My goal is still to find a low-power multi-sensor device that I can power using PoE, that I can talk to with IP. Like a KickA$$ HSM100 sensor, but more reliable, flexible and accurate. The Tre may be overkill for this.

The Pi board is cheap but its the extras for I/O, PoE, wireless, CF cards. It all adds up.

I'm glad we have so many choices.

Let me know how you make out with your Yun. I think I may request one for my B-day in a couple of months so I can play to.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar1898 View Post
                What about the ODroid-U3 (http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php)?

1.7GHz Quad-Core processor 2 GB RAM
                HDMI
                LAN
                USB

all for $59
                This thing looks crazy cool also. Android or Linux? Nice.

Comment

You've convinced me that "kill" won't be immediate, as in "killed dead in its tracks." After all, if different PC motherboard manufacturers (ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock, Intel, etc) have survived decades of competition, maybe Pi will too. Arduino has a considerable clone following, but maybe the Pi will too. It's still early in the game, and we (as the users) all stand to benefit from the competition. Hopefully Intel still believes that only the paranoid survive and will do more than test the water with Galileo... I also hope Intel (or AMD or TI or ...) does more to stir the pot than just buy an existing player, but that could easily happen and affect the dynamics also.

At the same time, the Tre clearly puts Arduino and Pi onto a path of more direct competition than how they were positioned previously.
                  Post script: I didn't know when I wrote the above that the Raspberry Pi had already sold over 2 million units in less than two years. They sold 1 million their first year, and at a faster rate in the second year. (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5265). It would be interesting to know the breakdown: what % is onesies and twosies versus say, 1000 at a time as a component of something else. It's almost like the internet in the 1990's: almost anyone with an idea can throw together a device and rapidly make it available to the world, and fairly quickly more and more people are. Considering the level of technical knowledge needed to make use of the product, that's pretty cool!

Comment

Post script: I didn't know when I wrote the above that the Raspberry Pi had already sold over 2 million units in less than two years. They sold 1 million their first year, and at a faster rate in the second year. (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5265). It would be interesting to know the breakdown: what % is onesies and twosies versus say, 1000 at a time as a component of something else. It's almost like the internet in the 1990's: almost anyone with an idea can throw together a device and rapidly make it available to the world, and fairly quickly more and more people are. Considering the level of technical knowledge needed to make use of the product, that's pretty cool!
                    I am a bit skeptical of the long term stability of the pi (being as though that is not what it was designed for) and its suitability as a 24x7 device. I built a web radio out of one and the file system has been trashed by hard on/offs a number of times, possibly not great SD cards but it does appear a bit fragile to me. I'm not sure based on my own experience that I would buy and install them into a consumer device but I'll happily use them in some sort of HA appliance for myself. Even two years is probably too early to say whether they will truly stand up to the test of time.

Comment

Originally posted by mbdirtfarmer View Post
                      Tre looks cool. Will wait and see what kind of Linux and community support it receives. It has all the I/O that the Pi lacks without addon's.

My goal is still to find a low-power multi-sensor device that I can power using PoE, that I can talk to with IP. Like a KickA$$ HSM100 sensor, but more reliable, flexible and accurate. The Tre may be overkill for this.

The Pi board is cheap but its the extras for I/O, PoE, wireless, CF cards. It all adds up.

I'm glad we have so many choices.

Let me know how you make out with your Yun. I think I may request one for my B-day in a couple of months so I can play to.

I have also ordered a couple of spark cores that should arrive soon (Some backlog on shields in January). I need to check out the Yun's.

My goal is wifi/IP sensors starting with temp/humidity/light. I've had some good discussions with some of my IT associates around low power Bluetooth but wifi exist in many homes already. Adding yet another network (Bluetooth) plus gateways (Bluetooth/Ethernet) doesn't make sense to me.

I'm happy to provide updates on our progress with these sensors if there is interest. Our goal is to have a working prototype in February.

Comment

It looks like soon everything will mate with everything else. Being open source, there's nothing to stop it, so it seems like every pairing will be tried and put up for sale at least once. The only question is what form that union will be and how good the libraries and intangibles are. Arguably, the Tre is just a different, more compact way to reify and support what would otherwise eventually happen anyway by a third party through either a shield or an expansion board (like the Gertduino does for the arduino and pi).

Pretty cool!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
                          I am a bit skeptical of the long term stability of the pi (being as though that is not what it was designed for) and its suitability as a 24x7 device. I built a web radio out of one and the file system has been trashed by hard on/offs a number of times, possibly not great SD cards but it does appear a bit fragile to me. I'm not sure based on my own experience that I would buy and install them into a consumer device but I'll happily use them in some sort of HA appliance for myself. Even two years is probably too early to say whether they will truly stand up to the test of time.
                          I don't see why the pi board itself should be unreliable. SD cards are a different issue, I'm trying a pi out as an Open energy monitor CMS logger and the recommendation is that it should be used with an external HD, the SD only used for booting and not written to.

Isn't HomeTroller Zee a Raspberry Pi? Hopefully that should have been designed to be reliable!

Comment

Originally posted by billt View Post
                            I don't see why the pi board itself should be unreliable. SD cards are a different issue, I'm trying a pi out as an Open energy monitor CMS logger and the recommendation is that it should be used with an external HD, the SD only used for booting and not written to.

Isn't HomeTroller Zee a Raspberry Pi? Hopefully that should have been designed to be reliable!
                            I'm surprised there has never been any guidance to plugin developers about writing HS plugins for flash memory based installs. I've made an effort to try and avoid repeated file system read/writes but some plugins may still be quite heavy with file io. I don't think there is any warning about making regular backups and the fact it could just die onE day (I know this is true of any PC but perhaps the risk of a cf system is worse) The pi is a great piece of hardware for the price but it was in part designed to be cheap enough to discard if it broke.

Comment

Arduino Tre: why is it that way, and what does it all mean?

According to TI, the BeagleBone Black ($45) is capable of running "full Linux," and claims to run Debian and Ubuntu. I'm not sure what "Full Linux" means, but I gather it would have no trouble running the Linux version of HS3 under Debian and Ubuntu?

I can see why Arduino would be interested in being part of a "full Linux" platform, and how the fusion of the Leonardo with the BeagleBone Black in the form of the Arduino Tre would extend arduino functionality. However, a BeagleBone Black already has a lot of IO functionality, so from a BBB point of view, what does it gain by mating with a Leonardo, except an AVR dedicated to doing more of the same? i.e. why would the Beableboard people invest time and resources into helping make an Arduino Tre? Surely there must be more to it than just making use of arduino shields. From the Beaglebone Black perspective, is the AVR on the Tre there to replace browser-based JAVA for running BoneScript? Or is it there to guarantee "real time" processing for the IO that needs it?

-----------

Last night I unboxed and initialized my Arduino Yun. I can load my scripts to it using WiFi and similarly connect the IDE serial debugging terminal to it also over WiFi. At least now, even in a worse case scenario, my laptop's USB port is safe from any possible havoc.
                              Last edited by NeverDie; January 26, 2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Spark Photon, for just $19, which includes WiFi. Wow! Ships March 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X