Poll: State of HS3 function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: State of HS3 function

Since it is difficult to get a handle on just how HS3 users feel about the function of their systems I thought a poll would be of some value. To clarify the choices, please use the following guidelines:

How would you rate the current state of HS3 and HS3 Pro software?
    1. Very Satisfied- this is not to say the software is perfect, but other than a few minor bugs, it does everything I ask
    2. Somewhat (more than) Satisfied - I can count on the software to perform most tasks well, but there are a few significant issues that need addressing
    3. Satisfied - The software works, but I need it to do much more
    4. Somewhat dissatisfied - while I can get it to work, it is too unstable for me to count on or too many things it cannot do
    5. Very Dissatisfied - I cannot get it to reliably function for even the minimal amount of time, it is unstable and unreliable
    Very Satisfied
    22.92%
    More than Satisfied
    29.17%
    Satisfied
    20.83%
    Somewhat Dissatisfied
    19.79%
    Very Dissatisfied
    7.29%
    Last edited by randy; October 29, 2014, 06:02 PM. Reason: Clarified second poll question.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Although I voted #1, I just love the wording of #4...just something about those Freudian slips!
    Bryan
    Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
    Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

I voted "Somewhat Satisfied". Even though I have much more functionality from HS3 than I ever did with HS2 as I can now run way more plugins, there are a couple of outstanding issues that when they get resolved, will move my opinion to "Very Satisfied":
      1. Bug 1710 - This is the issue with recurring events getting triggered over and over again. I have a workaround in place thanks to Jon00, but need to get this resolved.
      2. Bug 1500 - This is related to triggering actions to occur based on HS3 receiving emails. Worked great under HS2 and was using that functionality, but so far it's still broken in HS3.

Rich has been very responsive to fixing most bugs, but some seem to languish.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
        Although I voted #1, I just love the wording of #4...just something about those Freudian slips!
        I fixed it. That's what I get for posting or editing my posts after my bedtime.

In the spirit of full disclosure and for those with morbid curiosity, the original spelling was:
        • Somewhat dissatisfied - while I can get tit to work, it is too unstable for me to count on or too many things it cannot do
        Last edited by randy; October 22, 2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          Snip...

Rich has been very responsive to fixing most bugs, but some seem to languish.

Cheers
          Al
          I agree, but I don't envy his (their) challenges. I have no actual evidence to back this up, but I think that many Z-Wave products frequently fail to follow even the most basic of standards and a lot of the instability is introduced by workarounds the team has implemented to get nonstandard devices to function. I also feel there has been a clear elevation of effort and of success since about May.

I have a feeling this is Rich after he reads Bugzilla after an update

Comment

I think it's a known fact that some mfg's have not followed the Zwave protocol. Controller mfg's need to compensate or not support the device.

My frustration is an update to the plug in causes some users to have to start over and some devices to no longer work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              I agree, but I don't envy his (their) challenges. I have no actual evidence to back this up, but I think that many Z-Wave products frequently fail to follow even the most basic of standards and a lot of the instability is introduced by workarounds the team has implemented to get nonstandard devices to function. I also feel there has been a clear elevation of effort and of success since about May.
              Agreed, the power of HS is also one of it's shortcomings - there are so many variations that's it's nearly impossible to test all possible scenarios and therefore it's likely that updates introduce new buglike enhancements

Cheers
              Al

Comment

Agreed, the power of HS is also one of it's shortcomings - there are so many variations that's it's nearly impossible to test all possible scenarios and therefore it's likely that updates introduce new buglike enhancements

Cheers
                Al
                As an anonymous source at Microsoft is reported to have said: "it's not a bug, it's a feature".

Comment

Originally posted by rprade
                  How would you rate the current state of HS3 and HS3 Pro software?
                  1. Very Satisfied- this is not to say the software is perfect, but other than a few minor bugs, it does everything I ask
                  2. Somewhat Satisfied - I can count on the software to perform most tasks well, but there are a few significant issues that need addressing
                  3. Satisfied - The software works, but i need it to do much more
                  4. Somewhat dissatisfied - while I can get it to work, it is too unstable for me to count on or too many things it cannot do
                  5. Very Dissatisfied - I cannot get it to reliably function for even the minimal amount of time, it is unstable and unreliable

I am struggling to decide. Sometimes #2 and sometimes #4. Should I meet in the middle and call it #3? Actually, I'd like to withhold voting until I get a Hometroller S6 Pro and see how it runs but the poll may be closed by then.

- Robert

Comment

I question if there will be enough participation to get a real handle on how users feel. There are nearly 3500 active users on this forum. If half of them use HS3 and 10% responded to the poll we would have 170 responses. So far we have 36.

It is an anonymous poll and has not been time limited, so hopefully there will be more responses.

Comment

I question if there will be enough participation to get a real handle on how users feel. There are nearly 3500 active users on this forum. If half of them use HS3 and 10% responded to the poll we would have 170 responses. So far we have 36.

It is an anonymous poll and has not been time limited, so hopefully there will be more responses.
                      Polls are always a sample of the population. I don't know what percentage would be representative.

Comment

How are you defining active users Randy? The queries I ran show about 1500 people who have made more than 1 post since the beginning of 2014 and about a 1000 who have made more than 10 posts. Even with that, I would have thought there would be higher participation as well.

Cheers
                        Al

Comment

How are you defining active users Randy? The queries I ran show about 1500 people who have made more than 1 post since the beginning of 2014 and about a 1000 who have made more than 10 posts. Even with that, I would have thought there would be higher participation as well.

Cheers
                          Al
                          I was using what vBulletin calculates as active users as stated at the bottom of the home page. I believe the default vBulletin definition of "active" means they have logged in within the last 30 days. "Active" does not mean they have posted recently or ever, just that they have logged in with a username and password. The number of days since last log on to determine "active" setting can be changed by the Administrator(s). A person who has never posted can still respond to a poll - as long as they are logged in as a user. Right now there are 43 registered users online and 296 guests. The vast majority of "guests" are web crawlers for search engines. The 43 members online are likely not all online. If you close a browser without logging out you will remain online until a default timeout. I recall the default is 1 hour, but that is configurable by the Administrator(s). So if all that is correct 43 people have logged in in the last hour.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Insteon -vs- Z voters...

Reading the posts, I realize Z-wave users have more of a struggle than Insteon users. Man am I glad I went Insteon.

The reason I went with a 2 is because of the lag in addressing bugs. And I empathize with Rich: so many Z-wave issues, so many HS base issues, so many HSTouch issues, what do you do first?

But as I have said before, At $250 for HS3, one expects more than from a $1.99 IOS app.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
                              Reading the posts, I realize Z-wave users have more of a struggle than Insteon users. Man am I glad I went Insteon.

The reason I went with a 2 is because of the lag in addressing bugs. And I empathize with Rich: so many Z-wave issues, so many HS base issues, so many HSTouch issues, what do you do first?

But as I have said before, At $250 for HS3, one expects more than from a $1.99 IOS app.

I agree zwave is the majority of the grief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X